Nissan Titan Forum banner

HELP! Sway bar kicked out and bent end link

14K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  busemans 
#1 ·
So here's the story. Friend of mine is getting rid of his 06 SE 4x4 that has a 6" fabtech lift on it. I agreed to buy the lift off his truck and put it on my 09 SE 4x4 so that they could get theirs pretty much back to stock. We're doing the swap in his driveway..mind you my neighbor friends are mechanics. I went ahead and purchased a set of Bilsteins front and rear, PRG extended swaybar end links, PRG driveshaft spacer, and PRG UCAs to work into the project. All has gone fairly smooth until this past weekend when we finished up the front and went to drive it to get it aligned. When we went to take a turn out of the driveway, we realized the tie rod ends were rubbing the inside of the stock 18" wheels, and then the sway bar kicked out (forward) and bent one of the PRG end links. Any idea what we did wrong? When comparing the length of the PRG end links to the ones that came with the fabtech kit..they look about the same length. I know some guys on here have had this happen and decide to remove the swaybar...I'm not really looking to do that. As for the end links hitting the wheels, is that due to the oversized spindle from the kit? Do I need to be considering larger wheels, or wheels with more offset to give the steering linkage more room? Would a wheel adapter take care of it as a temporary solution?

Here's a picture I snapped of what the sway bar looks like after it "flipped"

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
Confirmed, the tie rods have been flipped with the new spindles. The bolt hole is actually tapered so that it can only go one way..from the top down. Did a bit of digging and finding that there have been cases of stock rims with many 6" kits having this issue. Some suggest a wheel spacer to fix or a different rim. I dont really want a larger diameter rim..not my thing. What a bout a more negative offset rim?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Also, just read that we need to swap the tie rods...passenger to driver's side, and driver's side to passenger side. Pretty sure this has not been done yet.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Update: we extended the end links and the sway bar quit kicking out. As for the tie rods, swapping them looks to be the fix. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.