Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some towing fast desert run off roading last weekend. The after work today I noticed some stains on the driveway. Looked under the T and noticed that (what looks like) the transfer case is leaking where the front drive shaft connects to it... Anyone know what part I need to replace to fix this? Is this a hard job for a driveway mechanic like myself?





Okay. I think it's 33105E shown here, but it looks like there are two versions of the part, 08/2011 to 2014 or up to 08/2011. I am not sure which one is right for my T...


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
Just did this myself right before the strut snappeed. I got mine from RockAuto for about $2. Transfer case output shaft seal. I do not believe that it's different between those years. When I was looking for my seal and didn't want to have to order and wait, I was informed by a dealership that the 15 Titans need the whole flange assembly rather than just the seal, but that the rest were the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was the seal the only part you needed? I also picked up 2 quarts of Nissan matic d, which is what my local dealer parts guy suggested.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it looks like there are some special tools needed as shown in the FSM. Do I really need these parts?







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
This thread was a huge help. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-how-area/144165-diy-front-transfer-case-seal-replacement.html

I engaged 4x4 to back up the shaft while breaking and torquing the nut. I used my 1/2" drive impact and 30mm socket to break the nut and it came very easily. To pull the old seal i used a small flathead screwdriver, a strip of wood to buffer the case against the careful prying, and a lot of patience.. Removing the old seal was WELL over half the time of the process.Instead of petroleum jelly, i slicked up the new seal with the Valvoline max life synth that I run in both the T case and the tranny (I was due for a T-case oil change anyway so I did that at the same time). I used a 2 arm puller on the companion flange rather than the 3 jaw that seems to be the tool of choice, and it came easily as well. Seating is a cinch, then ran the nut tight with the impact and checked it with a torque wrench.. My impact made 188, snugged to 205 with TW. Fast and easy process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This thread was a huge help. http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-how-area/144165-diy-front-transfer-case-seal-replacement.html

I engaged 4x4 to back up the shaft while breaking and torquing the nut. I used my 1/2" drive impact and 30mm socket to break the nut and it came very easily. To pull the old seal i used a small flathead screwdriver, a strip of wood to buffer the case against the careful prying, and a lot of patience.. Removing the old seal was WELL over half the time of the process.Instead of petroleum jelly, i slicked up the new seal with the Valvoline max life synth that I run in both the T case and the tranny (I was due for a T-case oil change anyway so I did that at the same time). I used a 2 arm puller on the companion flange rather than the 3 jaw that seems to be the tool of choice, and it came easily as well. Seating is a cinch, then ran the nut tight with the impact and checked it with a torque wrench.. My impact made 188, snugged to 205 with TW. Fast and easy process.
Thank you so much!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top