Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a whistling/whining noise in the engine between 1700-2000 rpm's but must hold the throttle steady. It has been to 2 different dealerships and they claim Nissan says all titan's have that noise. It kinda sounds like it is coming from the intake/throttle body area. The dealerships have changed my roller and belt twice. Does anyone else hear this noise????????

·
Super Moderator
93,867 Posts
I'll listen closer tomorrow, but I sure don't remember any whistling noise. Do you have a CAI or a throttle body spacer?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Mine whistles a bit, i just learned to accept it. But you might want to check the intake. Make sure everything is snug especially at the throttle body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really sounds like a belt squealing but not as loud. Truck must be in drive also. When you try this hold the gas steady at 1700-2000 rpms

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
Take the belt off and rotate your idler pulley or other pulleys. I had the same problem with my 02 durango, the dealer couldnt fine it so I took the surpintine belt off and found out it was my water pump bearing going bad which made the high pitch noise. I'm just an aircraft mech not a auto mech. but I'm good at finding out problems in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
450 Posts
it's probably your supercharger...

i have the same thing. that whistle has been there since the truck had 13 miles on it. i'm at 45K now with the same whistle. i don't think it's a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I've had to replace nearly everything on my driveline besides my engine I'm getting good at this: Mine would whir (like an overrevving fan) at take off when cold or when very hot and feel like it was holding back or slipping the tranny. If I wound it up quick or shifted into third in town and dropped the RPM it would disappear and run normal. Turned out to be the fan clutch. Once I fixed that my hwy mileage jumped up 2mpg. took 5 times into the shop to find it though. Another whirring hissing noise I had was the exhaust header. 3 cracked so far and counting. Each one has presented different. the last was a cracked housing on the O2 sensor.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought an 04 LE CC on Thursday - when I test drove it I noticed the whistle - didn't tie it to an RPM range, but if I was in park and revved the engine you could hear it. Showed it to the dealer, they said "sounds like a belt, we'll take care of it" and so I came back in a couple of days and the sound was gone.. so I bought it.. Now the sound is back. It would drive me crazy if it weren't for the Rockford Fosgate's ability to completely drown it out - but I've got to find it and fix it.. hope some of you guys out there have heard it and fixed?

·
Registered
41,353 Posts
My airbox whistles at 1800-2K rpm. I did the airbox mod and it's a little louder than it used to be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You guys that have the whistle are ok with it? It sounds like a belt going bad.. just not as loud.. it sounds like I'm driving some lemon-lot POS.. not like I'm driving a bad-a$$ truck...

·
Registered
754 Posts
did you try looking under the hood with someone else reving it up and looking to see if you can spot wehre its coming from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It comes from the top of the motor - I had a mechanic friend look and he said it is an air leak under some of that plastic somewhere - so I guess I'll get out the wrench and start taking stuff off.. it is hella-annoying...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
mine whistles but, I think thats because I drilled out my drain hole in the airbox to make it bigger. After the last mudding expedition my airbox was caked up in the bottom with clay so after cleaning it I drilled the hole.
I kinda like it, sounds like a supercharger but not too loud, only on take off I hear it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get the "faint whistle" right around 2000 rpm's.......pretty annoying, and am having the dealership check it out in a week. I'll let you guys know if it gets fixed and what the solution is.........hopefully

·
Registered
205 Posts
i am having a similar noise the best way i can explain what i have going on is to to put your lips together with a pen sized hole open and suck air in and i just happens for a sec. is this what yall are talking about?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yes it sounds exactly like that but mine does it all the time while on the throttle at about 2k range. I checked all my hose clamps on my intake and none were loose. It still did it today, im going to try and make sure my box itself is not pulling in air from where it latches together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have the exact same problem. Mine started last month at 27k for the first time. Dealer tried to repair it 3 times then told me it was a normal condition and was common on Titan’s and there was nothing they could so. I went nuclear and wrote a 4 page complaint to Nissan and filed a complaint with the BBB Autoline. Long story short, I met with the Regional Manager this morning 10/25 and they have agreed to replace the throttle body. According to them this will fix the problem. We will see. Basically this is a defect that is caused by build up in the throttle and rather than do anything about it they simply say it is normal. Good luck and I will post an update next week to see if the fix worked.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Mine whistles but it is only because my air box won't close properly. You can barely here it so I am o.k with it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
apx_06 said:
Have the exact same problem. Mine started last month at 27k for the first time. Dealer tried to repair it 3 times then told me it was a normal condition and was common on Titan’s and there was nothing they could so. I went nuclear and wrote a 4 page complaint to Nissan and filed a complaint with the BBB Autoline. Long story short, I met with the Regional Manager this morning 10/25 and they have agreed to replace the throttle body. According to them this will fix the problem. We will see. Basically this is a defect that is caused by build up in the throttle and rather than do anything about it they simply say it is normal. Good luck and I will post an update next week to see if the fix worked.
My 04 had this noise since new, I even test drove a new 05 at the dealer and it had the noise. It gets really annoying when towing since under load and light-medium throttle and 2000 RPMs make the whistle occur. I hate to say it but unless they changed something in 06/07 then they all do that. It is very high pitched so I bet some people can't hear it even if it's occuring.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts