Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 crew cab 150k, stock rear with 305/55/20 nitto terras. Mostly worn out tread.

Used to only happen when I'd hit a speed bump causing it to go in to this horrible death shake in the rear end. The only way to get it to quit is to basically come to a complete stop. No amount of hard breaking, swerving, or anything seems to make it stop.
Lately it's been happening more often...no bumps...on straight aways...on turns. Still sporadic but holy crap is it wicked!

Shocks are old, driveshaft feels good. Just wondering who else has had this and fixed it? I've done a decent amount of searching and found maybe some similar issues but none resolved that I know of.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,960 Posts
If the shocks are worn I would start there since they should be replaced anyhow. Is is more on one side than the other?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was hoping to put a full set of bilsteins on...just havent gathered up the cash. Just ordered rear only off amazon $67 a piece shipped. I guess I will just do the rear for now. It's getting out of control. Can't tell if it's one side or the other. It literally shakes the whole truck like crazy.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Bet it is U joints. When the ones on my front driveshaft went, mine did something similar. The bump is causing the shaft to move and start to spin out of balance. When stopped it must recenter a bit. Replacing the shocks is also a good idea.

·
Premium Member
20,960 Posts
Ah, I assumed that you were 4x4 so the carrier bearing never crossed my mind. I had a '91 Ford Ranger with a carrier bearing. When I replaced it I didn't attach it right. Boy, did it let me know right away that it was pissed off.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Congrats! Glad you got her done!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Did this solve your problem? I have the same vibration. I also had my carrier bearing replaced but it is still doing it. My shocks are the originals and I'm right at 97K. Hoping mine may be the rear shocks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carrier bearing replacement took care of it. My shocks definitely weren't helping I'm sure, but the main cause for me was the bearing. Loving it now...no longer limping over speed bumps and railroad tracks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts