Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys i need some help from you all, im gonna do my rear diff fluid since im at 32k and do a lot of hwy driving and im lifted on 35x so just wanna change it for my cheap insurance, peace of mind in other words. i know i need over 2 quarts for the rear since i have the stock cover. but i called my Nissan stealership and they are asking for $33 a quart?? :teethmast wow does that sound right? oh yea by the way i wanna stick with the oem stuff till i pay it off, dont want something to happen spontaneously to my rear end and you all know the stealerships always gotta blame it on nome oem parts.....:bangit:....lol also whats the price on the quarts for Transmission fluid cause i wanna do that but my buddy at Infinity will charge me $80 for drain and fill does that sound right? will i need to take the pan off to change the filter? and clear shaving? thanks and bear with me ive never done anything like this before...i do know that rear is easy to do...thanks again...:)

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I would use Mobile 1 for the rear, but thats just me...it's $17 a qt and I think you need a little less than 2. For the tranny fluid, it is about $10.60 (plus tax) a qt at the dealership, but hit up Scott at Fontana Nissan and you get it for $8.66...Shipping was like $20 for me, but they are located in Cali and you are in Cali, so it should be cheaper (but you'll have to pay tax)

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use Mobile 1 for the rear, but thats just me...it's $17 a qt and I think you need a little less than 2. For the tranny fluid, it is about $10.60 (plus tax) a qt at the dealership, but hit up Scott at Fontana Nissan and you get it for $8.66...Shipping was like $20 for me, but they are located in Cali and you are in Cali, so it should be cheaper (but you'll have to pay tax)
yea i live like 35 min away from scott....lol and to think that the dealer wanted $33 a quart....omg what a rip off, that was for my rear end. i can imagine how much for the transmission:ftard:

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Yeah I just bought 14 qts of Matic S tranny fluid to do a complete tranny fluid change-out. I did the diff a month or so ago. I did my coolant when my Radiator blew, now its time for an oil change and have all nice new fluids...It is good piece of mind lol

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i know. i wanna do the whole trany fluid but dont know how??? nor do i wanna pay a sh*t load of money at the dealer, cause they dont do all fluid manually but rather flush.....thats a no bueno for me.....so i guess ill just do the drain and fill.....

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Yeah I won't do a flush either. I'm haing a little trans work done, so I'm going to do it then. There is a way they can just pump out the old stuff on the bottom, and they add the new stuff at the same time on top. They know when to stop whent he fluid coming out the bottom is clean, then they know its all new fluid

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see i might do that but gotta make sure i can get it for $8 from scott how you said, cause $33 :teethmast damn for quart is insane...

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
dude i spent $150 on trans fluid a while back!!!!!! it sucks!! i wish i would have met kevin before i did my trans flush!!!

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I feel better with Matic S tranny fluid from the dealer. Like we said, its about piece of mind. I could use Amsoil, but Matic S fluid will give me the most piece of mind, so thats what I use. If you use anything else, you will not get warranty coverage on your trans....Worth it for me, there is no where else to get the trans fluid, so we have to get it at the dealer....whats wrong with you?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If you use anything else, you will not get warranty coverage on your trans....?
thats not true! your being foolish to believe that. do u buy Nissan windshield washer fluid as well because thats what the nissan manual tells you to use?

any fluid that meets the specs. will not void your warrenty. And there are many available, from several places (try your local auto parts store for one) at significantly cheaper prices than what nissan is robbing you for. If getting robbed gives you piece of mind, suit yourself.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i had the dealer change my tranny fluid a month or so ago and they didn't even use the missan fluid. They used the BG synthetic fluid. It was about 160 with a 15% off coupon. Way easier than messing with it myself.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Comparing washer fluid and trans fluid...LOL....A trans is a bit more expensive then the washer fluid system. If they chose to try to dispute a warranty for my tranny, I have more piece of mind with the OEM fluid. They could still deny it and I would be out 2-4 grand for a new trans. Knowing I have the OEM fluid is piece of mind for the chance at paying that much money...Now if the dealer changed it with a different fluid, then that would be cool, cause then they couldn't disput it

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Comparing washer fluid and trans fluid...LOL....A trans is a bit more expensive then the washer fluid system. If they chose to try to dispute a warranty for my tranny, I have more piece of mind with the OEM fluid. They could still deny it and I would be out 2-4 grand for a new trans. Knowing I have the OEM fluid is piece of mind for the chance at paying that much money...Now if the dealer changed it with a different fluid, then that would be cool, cause then they couldn't disput it
well, your kind of missing the point. them saying you have to use thier fluid, and im not 100% sure on this, but others have agreed with me, is considered the same as them saying you cant use aftermarket parts, which is of course bullcrap and covered under some consumer protection laws.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Yeah the Magneson Moss act, which is not a 100% every time. Therer are stories of many dealers laughing at people who try to quote that. Its mostly the dealers descretion. I wouldn't have any problem using Amsoil, I actually started a poll thread on which I should use (OEM or Amsoil). But I just stuck with OEM

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I belive the dealer has the burden of proof to prove that the part / fluid you chose to use caused the malfunction. You may need a lawyer, but uyou have to do wha tyou have to do.

amsoil is good, but overpriced. there are a lot of tranny fluids that meet nissans specs. for around $5 a qaurt. we had a list going on another thread somewhere.

·
Banned
164 Posts
2008 NISSAN/DATSUN TITAN 5.6L 8-cyl Engine Code VK56DE
Differential, Rear......GL-5
ALL TEMPS......75W-140 [3]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVOQT)
80W-140 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGO05)
Differential, Front......GL-5
ALL TEMPS......80W-90
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT)
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)
75W-90 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGRQT)
SEVERE GEAR 75W-110 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVTQT)
[3] Synthetic oil is required.
Differential, Front..........3.4 pints
Differential, Rear..........4.3 pints
I can't see paying $33 a quart for gear oil when you can get a better chemical synthetic gear oil for $10 a quart. You can compare gear oils in this AMSOIL whilte paper report of several popular gear oils tested by an independent laboratory using standard testing that has not been disputed by the competition. White Paper - A Study of Automotive Gear Lubes .

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah...$33 per quart is retarded. I got Royal purple 75W140 synthetic at a local 4wd store for $14.99 CAD per liter. I also recall the stealers flushing and changing my tranny fluid for like $70 bucks with the Nissan stuff. I would go find another stealership.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts