Nissan Titan Forum banner

Helper Springs? Don't even know what to search for...

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  travelship 
#1 ·
I tried to do some searching, but I'm just not using the right key words I guess.

I'm looking for the suggested product from the brain trust here.

My Titan is a Big Tow, and my load is no more than 5,000 pounds and I have achieved a good tongue weight based upon both weight measurements and the general handling feel.

The pic in my sig may sort of show it, but I have a very slight drop in the back down from level. I'm looking for a product that will give my rear springs a bit more strength/help so when I'm towing the back end of the truck is not dropped. I do not need much of a height increase, just 1" I think would make a big difference. Keep in mind I don't want to add something that will just make the backend solid as a rock and ruin the ride when I'm not towing.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

#3 ·
That would be the thread you want. You can get the helper springs and they don't affect the ride or the suspension until the rear of the truck is loaded. Then they step up and take care of it. Otherwise you don't even know they are there.

#4 ·
Blackbeauty said:
That would be the thread you want. You can get the helper springs and they don't affect the ride or the suspension until the rear of the truck is loaded. Then they step up and take care of it. Otherwise you don't even know they are there.
What about the posts in that thread that claimed the helper springs don't help for load, they only reduce axle twist for those interested in performance?

I also swear I read something a while back that used compressed air to alter the truck's level.

#5 ·
Yes, I agree there is some confusion. But it's only because some people don't know the proper terms for these things.

The "helper springs" are what you are looking for. They sit "piggyback" on the leaf springs and don't engage until the truck is loaded.

The "torsion springs" are the axle wrap preventers. Not what you want.

Heli and many others have used airbags with success. Here's one of Heli's threads about it.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-towing-hauling/50912-firestone-riderite-airbags-installed.html

#8 ·
Blackbeauty said:
The "helper springs" are what you are looking for. They sit "piggyback" on the leaf springs and don't engage until the truck is loaded.
:D This thread is way more helpful than the other one

Ok, Hellwig seems to be the big name in this arena. This is what you must be talking about, and these look like a quality product. If I recall some people sid these goes over the rubber packs on the OEM springs. I'm wondering of removal of those might be better than mounting these over the top of them???

2004-2007 Nissan Titan - 1500 lbs helper springs

#10 ·
#11 ·
Yeah, you probably don't need the heavy duty ones. I had some installed by Stengel Bros. on my F-150. Nothing as drastic as those HD units. They were more like the Hellwig ones. I could haul close to 2 tons on that 1/2 ton truck. I actually did once... 2.125 tons actually. A whole pallet of CMU block.

#12 ·
Quad T said:
DING, DING, DING - Firestone Riderite - That's it!
That's what I was looking for. I might just try the Hellwig 1st though, but thanks as now I have had a chance to re-read that Firestone Riderite thread.
Glad I could help. There has been quite a bit of confusion about this on the forum... Good luck and let us know what you decide! :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I'm going to suggest a different route...Leave the springs alone...that's right, for only 1" why screw up the ride qualities. So what if it squats a whole inch lower, how often do you tow?
I'd spend the money to get a set of DR shocks in the rear...

#15 ·
Screw up the ride quality? :huh: Empty, all you're doing is adding 30 or 20 pounds to the rear end... They only act when you load the truck. If you've never had anything like this on your truck, you can't know how much they help in that respect WITHOUT compromising ride quality.

#16 ·
Thats why I put in the RAS, improves ride quality over stock when unloaded and even more so when it is loaded, taking it on the first long tow friday.

www.activesuspension.com

#17 ·
Blackbeauty said:
Screw up the ride quality? :huh: Empty, all you're doing is adding 30 or 20 pounds to the rear end... They only act when you load the truck. If you've never had anything like this on your truck, you can't know how much they help in that respect WITHOUT compromising ride quality.
Plus I can't help but think they would then also help when I come home from Home Depot with a full bed and an empty wallet... :)

#18 ·
Screw up the ride quality? Empty, all you're doing is adding 30 or 20 pounds to the rear end... They only act when you load the truck. If you've never had anything like this on your truck, you can't know how much they help in that respect WITHOUT compromising ride quality.
The stock springs already have a "overload" leaf, and the stock shocks don't have enough rebound control for that, so by adding another "overload" spring you now have even less rebound needed...
Unless you're talking airbags, adding anymore spring rate even if "staged" means the shocks suck worse...

Please don't talk about ride quality AND the stock shocks in the same sentence... :jester:

#19 ·
I like my Ride-Rites, air bags allow you to control the amount of assist with the air pressure. You can also run different pressures in each bag to level an uneven load or compensate for a severe crosswind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.