Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay all you audio-heads (SD titan, tech, etc.) I have a budget of $800 and I want to rebuild my system.

I got a quote from a local audio shop to install two JL W1v2 12" subs, infiniti front components and rear coaxils, and a 1250W power akoustic amp to power the subs (I have an amp for the speakers). cost was $800 OTD...

My question to you guys is:

1) is the setup that I got a quote for a good setup? is it worth the $800?

2) Can you guys recommend something better than what I was quoted at and manage to stay under budget?????

I need:
(2) 12" subwoofers
(1) amp to power subs
front and back speakers (prefer component in front)

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Thought you lost the desire to mod :D

How much experience do you have with electrical and audio stuff? Our headunits have a sub out on the back, hooking the sub amp would be easy. If it was me, I'd DIY and buy W3's...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought you lost the desire to mod :D

How much experience do you have with electrical and audio stuff? Our headunits have a sub out on the back, hooking the sub amp would be easy. If it was me, I'd DIY and buy W3's...
Certain things I dont consider mods, I consider MUSTS! I am not very savvy at all when it comes to installing but with the right help I could make it happen probably.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well I got my stuff off amazon and i got two 12" kicker cvr's and 1 audiobahn amp 1000 watts 1 ohm all for around 350. All brand new stuff and had a warranty wit everything. I dont know a whole lot about jl, but i am pretty sure the w3 are around the same wattage as teh cvr's though. Best of luck to you

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
JL's will sound much better then a kicker. Installation should be straight forward, but its best to know what your doing. I've only done subs, but the rest can't be much harder.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does the 800$ include a custom box for under the seat?? If it does it is a fair deal. 2 jl w1v2-220$, front and rear speakers 160$, Amp 140$, Custom box 175$. Grand total 695$ and 105$ for instalation. It's fair if the box is included. If there is no box included you are getting ripped off. Also 2 12'' jl w1v2 subs sound good, I had 2 before I got w3's and they sounded good.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off, no it is does not include a custom box, I have a basic box in there already. Second, I tried asking the guy about W3s and he said I would be wasting my money because they would sound the same as W1s since there is much airspace...

Thanks guys all advice is much appreciate!

·
Registered
179 Posts
First off, no it is does not include a custom box, I have a basic box in there already. Second, I tried asking the guy about W3s and he said I would be wasting my money because they would sound the same as W1s since there is much airspace...

Thanks guys all advice is much appreciate!
Your installer does have a valid point with the air space. w1's only need 5 inches of mounting depth while w3's need 7 inches of depth. I had to make a new box when I changed from the w1's to w3's. Total air space is .7 per sub. That being said the w3's hit way harder than the w1's for sure. 800$ is too much to pay for that stuff with no box. He is charging you full retail on everything and then charging you 280$ for instalation which is a rip off. Go to Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers and buy all of your stuff there and just have him install it. Also power acoustik amps suck ****, they are not even CEA compliant. Get an alpine mono block or even get a sony XM-ZZR3301 mono amp. The Sony is CEA compliant 1100w max and 600w [email protected] 2ohms which will match nicely with 2 12'' jl w1v2's. The amp is 130$ on sonic and is a good amp. The speakers he recommended are good.

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Gahh, that sucks, my hopes jumped so quick thinking I could get away without needing to change the headunit...Oh well, the search slowly continues. How "Easy" is it to build a custom box? I've got an idea but i've never done any boxes before. I'm pretty crafty with wood projects though, I've got the basics as far as tools. Table saw, mitre saw, router, router table and a large selection of blades and bits. Oh yeah, and the aircompressor and nail guns.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys I added pics of the box that I have. It is actually bigger than I thought. It is approx. 8" deep in the front and slopes down to approx. 6.25" in the back. Please tell me what kind of subs I can get with this much airspace... JL W3's????? (hoping)

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Gahh, that sucks, my hopes jumped so quick thinking I could get away without needing to change the headunit...Oh well, the search slowly continues. How "Easy" is it to build a custom box? I've got an idea but i've never done any boxes before. I'm pretty crafty with wood projects though, I've got the basics as far as tools. Table saw, mitre saw, router, router table and a large selection of blades and bits. Oh yeah, and the aircompressor and nail guns.
I recall seeing a thread about How To wire the OEM head units to have pre-outs... It was pretty tricky due to having to open the OEM unit up and soldering...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your installer does have a valid point with the air space. w1's only need 5 inches of mounting depth while w3's need 7 inches of depth. I had to make a new box when I changed from the w1's to w3's. Total air space is .7 per sub. That being said the w3's hit way harder than the w1's for sure. 800$ is too much to pay for that stuff with no box. He is charging you full retail on everything and then charging you 280$ for instalation which is a rip off. Go to Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers and buy all of your stuff there and just have him install it. Also power acoustik amps suck ****, they are not even CEA compliant. Get an alpine mono block or even get a sony XM-ZZR3301 mono amp. The Sony is CEA compliant 1100w max and 600w [email protected] 2ohms which will match nicely with 2 12'' jl w1v2's. The amp is 130$ on sonic and is a good amp. The speakers he recommended are good.

Aye what does your box look like? post a pic?

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
12" W3's need 7 or 8 inches of mounting depth... Mine are massive out of their box. They *might* fit in your box, but I have a feeling they won't

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
12" W3's need 7 or 8 inches of mounting depth... Mine are massive out of their box. They *might* fit in your box, but I have a feeling they won't
so what is my "next best" option?

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
The only subs I've ever owned are 10" W3's and 12" W3's. I'd look at the phoenix golds or possibly a kicker cvr (I think that's right). Just make sure it'll fit your box

·
Registered
179 Posts
Aye what does your box look like? post a pic?
Theres a pic of my box in my public profile. The w3's will be a close fit in your box, so close I cant say if they will fit or not. The best subs for your box are the alpine type r shallow, but they are 250$ each.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
There's no way a 12" W3 will fit in that... Gotta count the thickness of the box too. So subtract about a 1/2" from that... Thats a short box

1 - 20 of 34 Posts