Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 857 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Filed and done, and if u think its driver abuse then your not to smart because if you think about it YOU SEE NO FORDS IN FOR THIS NO CHEVYS IN FOR THIS NO GMCs IN FOR THIS ONLY Nissan Titans... im sure theirs a few of the others but nowhere near the amount of titans, and a burn out is not even as stressful as towing somthing like 7000 pounds... so think about it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Standard company line-DRIVER ABUSE-diffs,brakes,motors

Driver abuse is always going to be the standard company line parroted be service reps when a drivetrain component that usually lasts until the vehicle is junked, breaks at low miles(no doubt it is occasionally true).All car companies all the time use this line-heck Dodge probably used this line in reference to their minivan transmissions that would die with great regularity at 50,000 miles.-Brakes-rides the brakes;motor-drag races;diff-didn't follow breakin,towed too heavy,did burnouts etc;
In this case-the rear diffs-it is clearly BS;there are just too many sober middle aged drivers having failures at very,very low miles.Very,Very low for a differential is under 50,000 miles.Rear diffs just don't break!!!Has anyone here ever had a diff failure in any other truck??The 8000 folks here have probably owned 20,000 "other"vehicles-probably at least 10,000 trucks-did any break a differential at 10,000 miles????The median failure -of 44 reports)is probably 10,000 miles-mean about the same.The highest mileage failure is under 50,000 miles-lowest under 1000 miles with plenty well under 7000 miles!!
Luck,Charlie PS mine hasn't failed-nothing has(9500 miles 2wd XE KC2004),but I drive like a candy azz!

·
Super Moderator
35,029 Posts
STi_Exorcist said:
Filed and done, and if u think its driver abuse then your not to smart because if you think about it YOU SEE NO FORDS IN FOR THIS NO CHEVYS IN FOR THIS NO GMCs IN FOR THIS ONLY Nissan Titans... im sure theirs a few of the others but nowhere near the amount of titans, and a burn out is not even as stressful as towing somthing like 7000 pounds... so think about it.
13 Ford 2004 F-150's differential failures reported to NHTSA.
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/418601-post10.html

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,029 Posts
Tell that to the 13 people who have had their Ford diff blow.

Also, 13 are only those who reported it, much like the Titan. There are sure to be plenty more than those who have gone to NHTSA with their problem.

Spin it any way you want, numbers is numbers.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Pheobisis you are very correct in your statements. Differentials just don't break like that. period.

I talked to a Firestone tech this weekend. He said many vehicles of different brands will come in faulty for the same item in trends. Right now rotors are one big item. They are made from recycled metal and a lot of them are rusting and pitting away. Ever check out your old rotors after a wash? BTW, they've done a few Titan diffs under service contracts with rental companies. I know we have Bosch brakes, but who really made the rotors?

Guys, what we need are 100 complaints to get the ball rolling here. It's the type of action I've been banking on ever since my diff exploded at 3600 miles. I knew it was wrong.

Things can be made right with minimal effort on our part. Keep it going!!!!

Chief

·
Registered
261 Posts
I checked and mine is there.

On the second rearend the dealer stonewalled me for tow days. Come to find out, they were checking for "abuse". After confronting the service manager in front of about 15 customers, he took me to the side and admitted to checking for abuse and could not find any of any kind. Abuse is a crock of sh&%. We all need to report these rearends. I think there are some people that are not reporting them because it only happened to them once. "It must have been a fluke." or "This wont happen again." is not cutting it. Everyone needs to report this the first time. PLEASE.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I just did a search on this problem on the NHTSA website and there is total of 15 complaints between model years 2004 & 2005. It only took 14 to open an investigation on the alternator on the Murano and now the Murano has another one open due to punctures in the fuel tank from road debris. That one only took 4 complaints.

I don't see why NHTSA wouldn't open one soon on this problem with the Titan.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Call the DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236) and a NHTSA representative will record your complaint information.

Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.

* If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.

* Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to initiate a recall.

* We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.

For a prompt response from NHTSA, send your information request, suggestions, or comments to [email protected].

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Guys,
I dropped off my truck at the dealer this morning; I believe the diff is shot. When I bought this truck I new the diff and brakes were weak, but I fell in love with the truck. And yes I still love the truck; it makes up for it in other areas. It is just bad timing for this to happen as I was getting ready to leave on a trip in the morning. Yes, when I get confirmation that the diff is indeed shot I will phone in. The truck only has 15000 miles and I’m thinking down the road when the warranty expires, what will I do. By the way I have 05 CC LE OR with BT.

Happy Holidays
Kelvin

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
flyguy said:
I just did a search on this problem on the NHTSA website and there is total of 15 complaints between model years 2004 & 2005. It only took 14 to open an investigation on the alternator on the Murano and now the Murano has another one open due to punctures in the fuel tank from road debris. That one only took 4 complaints.

I don't see why NHTSA wouldn't open one soon on this problem with the Titan.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Call the DOT Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236) and a NHTSA representative will record your complaint information.

Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.

* If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.

* Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to initiate a recall.

* We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.

For a prompt response from NHTSA, send your information request, suggestions, or comments to [email protected].
Definitely file if your differential had/has problems, but for any of you guys that are just having some fun/trolling, don't file because it is most likely a federal crime being it's a government site. [Like filing a false police report]. I'd hate to see some Ford or Ridgeline guy spending his best years in a Federal Pen.

·
Registered
326 Posts
sh*t they took one look at my back tires and wow at 17219 miles they were lke, "why is their about yeay |--| amount of tread left???" "um..........................u got a water fountian??"

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My 1st set on the back were replaced at about 8,000 miles. The original 2 that are left have seen no abuse and are ready for replacement at 14,000 miles. So my original BFG's did not wear well at all.

C'mon guys, we need some complaints filed here. The broken parts were replaced with the same parts. It's not going to just go away. We'll be stuck out of warranty if it's ignored.

The form takes less than 10 minutes to fill out and will get results!!! Get off your CANS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have filed mine. I hope others will too. I have stopped driving mine because it is not dependable. I still make payments but can't trust it to take me to work more less take my boat to the water. Anyhow, PLEASE file your complaints. We need this problem really fixed not just replaced with another rearend that will fail in time (out of warranty).

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Only 14 reports on the NHTSA site after some 41 on this site? Not to be a wiseguy, but for as loud as some people complain, they aren't taking much formal action on this alleged issue. I had to have a laugh when I read this:

WHEN HAULING OVER 100LB. THIS CAUSES THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL TO OVERHEAT LEADING TO LUBRICANT LEAKAGE AND OUTER CORROSION OF THE DIFFERENTIAL COVER. THERE HAVE BEEN SOME CONSUMERS TO COMPLAIN THAT THE REAR DIFFERENTIAL SEIZES AND CATCHES ON FIRE. HE SAYS THIS WAS DOCUMENTED IN A MAGAZINE NOT LONG AFTER THE TRUCK WAS TESTED. THE CONSUMER STATED THE DIFFERENTIAL IS ACTUALLY STARTING TO RUST AND THE LUBRICANT IS STARTING TO LEAK OUT. THE DEALER REFUSES TO DEAL WITH HIM. THE MANUFACTURER SAYS THEY WILL NOT DEAL WITH HIM UNTIL THE DEALER DOES.
I don't recall reading anywhere here that a diff caught fire or a magazine documenting it. Over the top stuff like the above and stating what has happened to other consumers you have seen on the internet will not help the case. Post your experiences, that carries the most weight and it is what they are interested in.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
titanau said:
So if you have a 2006, you are all good? The new cover does look beffier, sp? and hope the issue is not fixed. Cheers.
There are some 05's, (something like 1/100 of 1%) with rear diff failures. Most 2005 Titans have the new covers. So a '06 isn't necessarily immune. But the poor spyders from Dana have been most likely taken out of the manufacturing line, (if this is the actual cause).

Mine has the steel cover and I can hold it, (bare handed with pressure), after an hour drive. The issue doesn't seem to be heat related, per say. Just poor heat treating on some of the spider gears at Dana. Since they are powder formed, if not enough heat, pressure, or time, they will stay in semi-granular form, (until you power-brake and they tend to turn into a more butter-like form). Very small percentage are poorly manufactured, but judging from the multiple occurrences of some Titan owners, they may have ended up in the replacement parts inventories, else the multiple failures guys are very unlucky, (can happen, we have all heard about guys that have been hit multiple times by lighting or have won the lottery big a couple of times), or else they are just troll scum. If trolls I wonder if Nissan could sue them for lost sales? Just follow back their IP address... Subpoena the Titan forums etc.

Anyway there are several of the one time guys that I total believe, so IMO there is a problem with some of the parts. With over 200,000 Titans on the road, and my own wheeling experiences, I would tend to believe the design itself is more than adequate, (or beefier than required).

Would I buy another Titan? I way like my Titan, but please see my previous post*, with my customer service concerns about Nissan Corporation.

Edit *O.K. different thread. How many threads are on here for the handful of differential failures anyway? If I was looking for a '06 Titan I'd have the impression that at least 10% of them are bad when in reality it is like I said above, like 1/100 of 1%. wtf?
Anyway here is the post I was attempting to refer you to:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/423109-post8.html

And a warning to our trolls, (so you stay free):
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/421426-post32.html

21 - 40 of 857 Posts