Nissan Titan Forum banner

801 - 820 of 857 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's a 2005 T-SE , the tag was missing from the rear so I don't know the gear ratio. I was told it was a off-road tow package cause of the skid plate/shocks/hooks...etc and even tho it has no lock button it's a automatic locking rear?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Here's # of Rear Diff Failures Reported To NHSTA

3 Bad Diffs...I don't have the words. Wait a tick, yes I do: Lemon Law That Mofo!
I'm not eligible for relief under the lemon law just yet. Nissan gets four failed attempts to fix the problem before I could make a claim. I'd really rather Nissan be willing to come up with a real fix since I really like my truck and I don't want to have to go through the massive hassle of the fight of a lemon law claim. My concern is that Nissan is just going to keep throwing more defective parts at me rather than just buck up and fix the issue. I'm going to email the service foreman again today since he never got back to me. After 11 years, Nissan knows there's a huge problem with the design of the axle, and they don't seem to be trying to deflect as much anymore. Although that might just be my dealer since I've read some other dealers are giving owners the runaround.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I, like almost every other 04,05, and some 06 TITAN owners have experienced the same problem, I am on my 3rd set of seals and they started to leak as well. I have always had the humming sound. Once the second set of seals went I did some research and replaced the ventilation system. I took a hose and connected to a small gas filter which helped for a while, however after time failed as well, I am to the point of replacing the entire REAR-END. and starting off FRESH!!! I have filed NUMEROUS complaints with NHTSA however NOTHING (imagine that a government entity doing nothing) I think ANY TITAN owner that has experienced this SHOULD go to this LINK AND FILE AN OFFICAL COMPLAINT!!!! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
207 Posts
The permanent solution to the axle problem appears to be the Eaton Tru Trac upgrade. It gets rid of the defective parts in the OEM axle and seems to make the entire assembly as reliable as it should have been from the factory. At this point, Nissan is just trying to get away from the 2015 and older Titans. I'm sure once my warranty is up, if I don't make a lemon law claim, I'll have to make the same upgrade myself. Nissan got so much right with the Titan. I'm really shocked they missed the easy stuff, like exhausts and axles, parts that have been around for over 100 years.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I'm really shocked they missed the easy stuff, like exhausts and axles, parts that have been around for over 100 years.
What's even more surprising is the amount of members on this forum that give Nissan a free pass by saying "All cars have problems" or "Just get a tru-trac upgrade and forget about it" or "Get a better manifold from somewhere else"

If all of those same people took the time to voice the complaints to Nissan and NHTSA...maybe just maybe Nissan would have been forced to step up and Warranty every differential and manifold failure beyond the stated warranty period.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No more problems!
After Nissan rep telling me that severe vibration between 40-48mph is normal body flexing (what a tool!) and after front diff gear, rear diff gear, transfer case and front axel replacement under warranty on my 2011 SL,
I finally figured out how to fix all problems permanently, I got rid of it!
Good luck gang, no more Nissan for me, as in never. Happy owner of new GMC HD Diesel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I met someone that works at Nissan....not at a dealership.....but actually somewhere they else (I live right buy Nissan Corporate etc in TN). And he told me that there is a level of diff whine in 2wd trucks that is supposedly in all the Titans and is considered to be normal!!!!!! And I was like how the hell is that supposed to be true because I have never ever heard a whine from a diff in any other truck or van or anything before and I don't understand how that could even be possible. And he said he agreed and it was something he didn't like about Nissan quality. So......just what the hell.

Now I have had my dealership tell me it's normal and not do ****! And a guy that I wasn't even asking about doing anything, just asking about the problem, admit to me Nissan knows all or most make noise and "it's considered normal for a Titan". So.....I really just wish I never bought this truck. I finally hit a whopping 3k miles yesterday. I am furious about this crap. Nobody can explain to me how diff whine is anything other than a faulty differential. I will probably never buy a Nissan ever again after this. And that sad since this is.my 6th Nissan.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I met someone that works at Nissan....not at a dealership.....but actually somewhere they else (I live right buy Nissan Corporate etc in TN). And he told me that there is a level of diff whine in 2wd trucks that is supposedly in all the Titans and is considered to be normal!!!!!! And I was like how the hell is that supposed to be true because I have never ever heard a whine from a diff in any other truck or van or anything before and I don't understand how that could even be possible. And he said he agreed and it was something he didn't like about Nissan quality. So......just what the hell.

Now I have had my dealership tell me it's normal and not do ****! And a guy that I wasn't even asking about doing anything, just asking about the problem, admit to me Nissan knows all or most make noise and "it's considered normal for a Titan". So.....I really just wish I never bought this truck. I finally hit a whopping 3k miles yesterday. I am furious about this crap. Nobody can explain to me how diff whine is anything other than a faulty differential. I will probably never buy a Nissan ever again after this. And that sad since this is.my 6th Nissan.
The problem has not been just the noisy differential. On both axles on my truck the dealer has replaced, both had a very large amount of metal shavings in them. So much so, it formed a thick sludge in the bottom of the pan. Granted, that can happen with a differential, but not usually after 1k miles. I think the metal is coming from the spider gears reacting badly to overheated oil, although others think it's from an improperly set differential. The dealer told me the first axle was set to spec, so I'm not sure what to think. So, it's not just the noise. That much wear metal is going to cause premature failure in the differential, which has been the whole problem with the Dana axles all along. I think Nissan knows all about the problem. They just don't want to have to do anything about it, especially now that they have moved on to the 2016 and a completely new design.

A whining rear differential is definitely not normal, no matter what Nissan dealer propaganda says. I'd tell the dealership they need to take the truck in for service and sample the oil, and that you suspect abnormal wear. If they refuse, tell them you're speaking to an attorney. Don't back down. Nissan needs to replace the axle if it's really noisy. Not that the replacement axles are much of a fix, but you need to get the clock going on a lemon law claim, should you find you need it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update

I got my diff replaced a while back. Several thousand miles ago. I went far above the dealership to get this done. Luckily I had connections to do that.

The old diff was DEFINITELY super jacked up. Because my new differential is much better. I am about to hit 9,500 miles on the truck. This new differential barely makes any noticeable sound at all and that's mostly on deceleration. I have to actually pay attention and try to hear it to even notice it. As apposed to my old diff that was so bad I had to crank the stereo to not be able to here it.

Obviously I would feel better if there was zero noise whatsoever. But it's night and day between these two differentials. I had Zero Confidence the original differential would hold up. This new one is probably as good as I am going to get from Nissan. And hell it took weeks for the dealership to even receive my replacement differential.

PS: supposedly my replacement came from American Axle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Update

I got my diff replaced a while back. Several thousand miles ago. I went far above the dealership to get this done. Luckily I had connections to do that.

The old diff was DEFINITELY super jacked up. Because my new differential is much better. I am about to hit 9,500 miles on the truck. This new differential barely makes any noticeable sound at all and that's mostly on deceleration. I have to actually pay attention and try to hear it to even notice it. As apposed to my old diff that was so bad I had to crank the stereo to not be able to here it.

Obviously I would feel better if there was zero noise whatsoever. But it's night and day between these two differentials. I had Zero Confidence the original differential would hold up. This new one is probably as good as I am going to get from Nissan. And hell it took weeks for the dealership to even receive my replacement differential.

Dana makes the rear axle for the first generation Titan. American Axle makes the rear axle for the new generation.

Can you take a few pics of your new axle and post here? It would be intriguing if Nissan has now spec'ed an American Axle part for the first generation Titan. I'm on my third axle and it's noisy, but I've put off getting it replaced since all my dealership will do is put another bum design axle on my truck. But, if Nissan is now actually fixing the problem instead of just kicking the can down the road...

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Update

My replacement was quiet also for a while. After about 30,000 miles it started whining again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The axle looked the same to me. I will try to remember to post some pics later for you guys. You might notice a difference. You all are more familiar with the trucks.

My friend who helped me get it replaced honestly should know what he is talking about. But he could have been mistaken about where my axle came from. It's totally possible. I don't want to give too much detail about my friend, or what specifically his job was at the time, because I don't want to get him in trouble about anything and Nissan actually does monitor forums. You'd never know it lol, but they do. He didn't work at a dealership. And he isn't supposed to tell anyone anything.

If my axle came from American Axle I would assume it would most likely be Nissan is probably finally out of that contract with DANA. But I agree with you all that it makes the most sense for it to have come from DANA

It did seriously take WEEKS for the dealership to get the part in. Which is really odd. If I remember correctly it was like a month. So.....idk. Guess we will find out eventually one way or the other. Possible it could look identical but be from a different place. But....that's probably unlikely I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went back and checked. LoL it took TWO MONTHS, not one, for them to receive an axle and replace my axle from when they were told to replace it. Seriously. Two freaking months to replace an axle. One day to replace it. But a Two Month wait to get it done. Actually took 7 weeks for them to receive it. Then it was another week before they actually replaced it

And I also checked for pics. I don't have one of the new axle, but I will take one. I only took a picture of the old axle the day I dropped the truck off so that I could confirm they actually replaced it. Didn't take one after the replacement. Just looked under the truck and said...yep...new

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm on my 5th axle since i got my Titan, this one is noisy so i mentioned it to the dealership manager because the service manager was told to tell me "this axle will be in the truck for 10000 kilometers no matter what" I'm about to go travelling in august pulling 6500# trailer we'll see if I get to southern ontario without blowing up, NO confidence in this truck at all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went back and checked. LoL it took TWO MONTHS, not one, for them to receive an axle and replace my axle from when they were told to replace it. Seriously. Two freaking months to replace an axle. One day to replace it. But a Two Month wait to get it done. Actually took 7 weeks for them to receive it. Then it was another week before they actually replaced it

And I also checked for pics. I don't have one of the new axle, but I will take one. I only took a picture of the old axle the day I dropped the truck off so that I could confirm they actually replaced it. Didn't take one after the replacement. Just looked under the truck and said...yep...new
Indeed, that is interesting. The times that I have had my axle replaced, it's taken only a day or two for the dealership to receive the replacement from Dana. Nissan knows there is a huge problem with the Dana axles in the Titan. They have known this for at least 10 years now. I'm not surprised they have people who watch the forums. My guess is that Nissan applied "The Formula" as described in Fight Club, and determined it was cheaper to allow the defective axles to be put on their flagship truck, and simply hope that the axle problems would be contained enough not to kick up much of a fuss. That's really lousy customer service, and it's hurt Nissan's reputation in the big truck market.

So, if Nissan no longer receives replacement axles from Dana, and that might be so since the 2015s have been out of production for at least a year, then Nissan would still need replacement axles for the Titans still under warranty. If they have no more Dana Super 44s, they might have gone to American Axle and had them spec one for the 2013-2015 Titans. That would be huge if that were the case. That would mean a real, permanent fix for the axle problem. SpecB, please post a pic if you can! Also, try to do a close up inspection of the axle and see if there are any stamps or markings showing if it's really an American.

Fingers crossed that it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well. I hit a deer at 9,500 miles and have been without the truck several weeks. That's sad yes but........

Equally sad. Pic as promised :( DANA part# :( Guess my information man was wrong

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just in case Anything is different. Here is the entire axle. Build date is January 2016

I had a feeling Nissan was not going to spec a new axle for the 2015 and older Titan. There are not enough trucks left in warranty, and it's cheaper to just keep swapping out the axle while waiting out the warranty than it is to fix the problem. Once the warranties all expire, then it becomes the customer's problem. Really lame, and a massive cop out for Nissan.

801 - 820 of 857 Posts