Nissan Titan Forum banner

821 - 840 of 857 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. My 2007 developed a leak at one of the axle seals around 90K miles and same on the opposite side a few months later. I replaced both seals and bearings and had no problems since and have 160K miles now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 2004 4x4 LE rear end died at 198k miles. I put in a Trutrac this weekend and replaced both axles. I originally had the locker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2005 with 87k is going in next week for both axle seals and yoke reseal.

Can you transplant a rear end from a newer model into the older trucks like mine?

~BA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just bought a 2015 Pro 4X. It wasn't until I got home and crawled under it that I noticed the pinion was leaking. It's still under warranty (32k miles) so I better get it in before rack up too many more.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just bought a 2015 Pro 4X. It wasn't until I got home and crawled under it that I noticed the pinion was leaking. It's still under warranty (32k miles) so I better get it in before rack up too many more.
Is that the area where the drive shaft connects to the rear axle? Is it caused by excessive pressure in the axle?

It's disappointing that the axle problems with the first generation were never really resolved. Just band aid fixes. I checked the axle seals near the rear wheels on my truck and there were no leaks, but I haven't checked the front of the differential. I'll have to crawl under and take a look.

As far as I know, Nissan does not try to repair the axles. They simply replace the entire axle assembly. You get all new parts, but because it's a serious design flaw, there are no guarantees the same problem won't just pop up again in 20k miles. Or worse, after the axle is no longer under warranty.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I finally got my rear diff to stop whining!!!!!
the whine goes away around 80 MPH!!

"As far as I know, Nissan does not try to repair the axles. They simply replace the entire axle assembly. You get all new parts, but because it's a serious design flaw, there are no guarantees the same problem won't just pop up again in 20k miles. Or worse, after the axle is no longer under warranty."

Nissan only ALLOWS the dealerships to diagnose a problem with the rear diff then they send a complete differential for the tech to change ( Approximately $5000 per diff), then they tell you "it's operating as designed because they can't fix it, so now your stuck with a vehicle that sound likes a dump truck until it blows or you trade it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Once you get your new axle installed, you're going to want to perform the axle vent mod on it immediately. Check to make sure the differential is full of gear oil. From then on, all you can do is keep an eye on it to make sure the new unit doesn't develop leaks at any of the seal points. It's really hit or miss with these axles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A guy that used to be a service tech at the dealership where I got mine replaced now works at an independent shop a friend of mine works at.

I was there the other day and he remembered my truck lol. Said it was a big deal when my truck was there and I musta known somebody lol.

Luckily I DID!

I need to go back and have it fixed again. Having some strange rattling around shift points and my cruise control stopped working. I had some transmission sensor code or speed sensor or something at some point and the tech deleted it and drove the truck and said it was fine because it didn't come back..............

He didn't remember the code. I asked obviously. It was one you can't see with a basic scanner. Didn't even trip CEL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took mine in Monday and got the pinion seal replaced under warranty. In and out in less than 2 hours which I thought was a heck of a turn around. That is until I checked it yesterday and found it's still leaking and now the HOUSING is leaking also. Back again tomorrow. At least they have free snacks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have an old locking diff that fail and would be willing to sell me the passanger side axle cheap? I have a bad seal and I would like to be able to assemble the axle bearing and seals before pulling the existing axle so my truck isn't down in the mean time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had a nightmare getting the diff leak resolved until I threatened (to the dealership owner) to go directly to Nissan. They jumped all over themselves getting it fixed then. That was in July. Middle of August it started screaming around 30mph. Currently in getting a new rear installed. I will be checking once I get it back to make sure it was replaced with another locker. If not I'm going straight to the TX Attorney Generals office to file a complaint.

·
Registered
354 Posts
the leak is not due to the carrier, thats due to breather room or water intrusion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the leak is not due to the carrier, thats due to breather room or water intrusion.
My diff leak was caused by the shop screwing up when they replaced the pinion seal. Actually it was more gushing than leaking. I believe they tried reusing the original seals and it was leaking so bad the entire underside of my bed was coated in oil.

·
Premium Member
69,811 Posts
821 - 840 of 857 Posts