Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shocker I know, but it's ridiculously simple...
Make the screen on the Macbook air fold all the way back, and make it touchscreen.

Simple as that. A crazy thin device like the iPad, but with the ability to still have a full keyboard and run a full OS.

Anyone else??????

I'd buy that sucker the day it came out.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I just wish Apple would get off their asses and put a damn USB port on the iPad. Until they do that so I can use an external hard drive, I won't buy it.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wish Apple would get off their asses and put a damn USB port on the iPad. Until they do that so I can use an external hard drive, I won't buy it.
The problem is it's also iOS not a full blown OS.

With a full blown Mac OS (like I said, an Air with a touchscreen tablet capability)... I could tether my phone to it and use it as a modem, etc. Of course since it's rooted I can WiFi tether but I still like flexibility of a full OS no matter what I do.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
While I gave in an bought the 16GB wi-fi only version. I can now say it is a rendered down hunk of craptastic joy. I like the iPad for what it is. A multi media version of the Nook. As far as ever being able to replace a laptop/smartphone it ain't gonna happen.

I have had my eyes on the Motorola Xoom just to see, but hearing horror stories about a poorly performing OS (honeycomb?) keeps me away especially at it's price points.

I am waiting for the BB Playbook. One of the key factors being it is BB and will actually do what a business user needs it to do our of the box. Tethered to my phone if no WiFi available.

We shall see. I too would love a great rugged laoptop with full tablet capability at $600, but I rather doubt the technology will be cheap enough in my "working" lifetime to afford that.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See I think items like the Kindle (or Nook) are awesome devices to have, if you use them enough to warrant the cost/convince. E-ink is awesome technology.
The iPad is glaring, battery life sucks (not e-ink), etc for those purposes. So they're really comparing apples and oranges is what I'm trying to say.

I've long said, I don't see the point of the iPad. I don't see it fulfills a real need.
I think the Blackberry will be the same way. Part of their shortcomings is the OS... They aren't full blown, compatible, fully functional OSes.
Same goes for the Xoom.

Ideally:
1) Tablet capability
2) Full keyboard capability
3) Thin and light
4) Full OS

The Macbook Air could fulfill that TODAY if Apple simply replaced the screen with a swiveling touchscreen. Why don't they????? Maybe because it would cut into both Mac and iPad sales. Why doesn't someone else do this, then?

We shall see. I too would love a great rugged laoptop with full tablet capability at $600, but I rather doubt the technology will be cheap enough in my "working" lifetime to afford that.
I saw a Toughbook (non tablet) for like $400 on sale a few weeks back.
But those things are a couple inches thick. I want thin and light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
TexUs
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing