Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks!

I've been lurking around this forum in the past week since all the google searches linked here. Great info!

So I'm new to trucks. Allways liked them but never had a need for one untill now. Titans allways been in my mind and I finally might buy one.

I stumbled across a 2004 titan SE 2WD without the tow package that looks in fairly good shape. Will go check it out tomorow most likely. It has 60k miles (brought in from USA, here in Canada). The price however seems low so I'm just wondering what should I check for mainly when I go see it tomorow?

The truck in question:
2004 Nissan Titan SE 61050 Miles - Ottawa, Ontario Used Car For Sale

This being said, the truck would be used for daily driving and occasional boat pulling. I probably won't need it more then 5-6 times a summer but I have a good 350 miles trip to do with the boat behind when I go get it in may.

From what I've gathered here I would need a class IV hitch reciever, harness and relays installed on the truck to accomodate the trailer?
The boat weights 4500 pounds and the trailer in the 1200 range. It's a dual axle trailer with brakes so I assume with such a load I would need an electric brake controller as well. Is there an existing plug for the EBC on the 04 SE without towing package allready wired in?

Lastly, does a 6000 pounds load with brakes in the back give a titan without a tow package a hard time?

I've also searched for 2wd boat launching and vast majority seems to find it fine if common sense is used on a somewhat clean ramp.. should I saty out of it or will I be fine?

Keep in mind I'm somewhat on a budget and this price range fits my need really well. I'd much rather have a 4x4 with better options but at 4-5k difference in price this is much more appealing.

Towable in question is a FourWinns SL222, 22.5'

Thanks and I'll hopefully become a new titan owner :redblob"

Marko

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Hi folks!

I've been lurking around this forum in the past week since all the google searches linked here. Great info!

So I'm new to trucks. Allways liked them but never had a need for one untill now. Titans allways had a place in my heart and I finally might buy one.

I stumbled across a 2004 titan SE 2WD without the tow package that looks in fairly good shape. Will go check it out tomorow most likely. It has 60k miles (brought in from USA, here in Canada). The price however seems low so I'm just wondering what should I check for mainly when I go see it tomorow?

The truck in question:
2004 Nissan Titan SE 61050 Miles - Ottawa, Ontario Used Car For Sale

This being said, the truck would be used for daily driving and occasional boat pulling. I probably won't need it more then 5-6 times a summer but I have a good 350 miles trip to do with the boat behind when I go get it in may.

From what I've gathered here I would need a class IV hitch reciever, harness and relays installed on the truck to accomodate the trailer?
The boat is weighting 4500 pounds and the trailer in the 1200 range. It's a dual axle trailer with brakes so I assuime with such a load I would need an electric brake controller as well. Is there an existing plug for the EBC on the 04 SE without towing package allready wired in?

Lastly, does a 6000 pounds load with brakes in the back give a titan without a tow package a hard time?

I've also searched for 2wd boat launching and vast majority seems to find it fine if comon sense is used on a somewhat clean ramp.. should I saty out of it or will I be fine?

Keep in mind I'm somewhat on a budget and this price range fits my need really well. I'd much rather have a 4x4 with better options but at 4-5k difference in price this is much more appealing.

Towable in question is a FourWinns SL222, 22.5'

Thanks and I'll hopefully become a new titan owner :redblob"

Marko
Welcome aboard.

I have an '04 Offroad/Big Tow. I can say that towing out of a steep and wet ramp is so much easier in 4WD.

I added a larger transmission pan, differential cover, rear sway bar, and helper springs.

Not related to performance but a nice feature was back up lights to see what I was parking when I do tow!

I'd check to see what recalls/tsb's, and maintenance was done on it but given gas prices, this truck's price should be worth serious negotiating...

Good luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Should be fine towing that load and that price don't sound terrible to me... Nice Boat!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
With it being an 04, I would check for exhaust leaks (possible manifold issue which is common but can be replaced if cracked up to 80k miles) and rear axle seal issues. Other than those common issues, sounds like a good deal. I'm not trying to deter you from getting this truck, mine is an 04 and I love it. Those issues are common to the 04-06 Titans and I've had the manifold issue, it's just a FYI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the diff problems? I've read about it last night and seems like a huge problem. Anyway to check if diff is going bad?

Last thing I'd need would be a 3k repair. Hmm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts