Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after i installed my HID's my radio reception has gone to sh*t. Any idea why this would happen? Its only bad when there on.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Never heard of that before.... what do you have for HID's?

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
You're not the first one to complain of this. It appears to be a previously unknown (unwanted) side-effect of the ballasted HID's.... Could be the electrical field the ballasts produce interfering with the radio waves. I'm not very well versed in either area, but that's a first crack at a relatively simple and logical explanation.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
You're not the first one to complain of this. It appears to be a previously unknown (unwanted) side-effect of the ballasted HID's.... Could be the electrical field the ballasts produce interfering with the radio waves. I'm not very well versed in either area, but that's a first crack at a relatively simple and logical explanation.

I think Blackbeauty may be on to something here because I was thinking the same thing. There must be some sort of frequency similarity or something somewhere causing interference. Odd side effect though, but doesnt seem impossible.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
ask titan_mike i think thats his username.. anyways we both got hids 2weeks ago and he has the same problem, i dont use xm so i dont have a problem...

EDIT- i just noticed you didnt say anything about xm... but mike has problems with it...

where did you put your ballast ? maybe location matters ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There kaixen or something. No xm and there located right below the headlight

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
jbaltimore said:
There kaixen or something. No xm and there located right below the headlight
lol did you buy them from CT ? and i put one ballast on the radiator mount or something like that and the other inside my CAI

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
ya i have that problem too. Mine is not too bad really but it is noticeable at times. It must be from the ballast. One of my low beam ballast is probably 1o inches from the base of the antenna. Might even be closer because i'm not sure how far it goes into the fender.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought them from one of the local performance shops. There both on the core support below the headlights. If i turn my lights on it sounds like a ham radio then off it sounds like hd radio quality. Is there somewhere else or maybe something i can cover them with that will be a barrier for the frquency?

·
Super Moderator
37,027 Posts
Time to chime in here ... Its called ballast whine and it comes form the high freq coil inside. Yes I have it to but only on 1 set, the fogs.

There are a couple of things that you can try.

1. Connect a 12V noise filter at the at the ballast. The problem here is that most of the noise is coming off the ground wire not the 12+.

link to one type. http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MV&Product_Code=ANF-02&Category_Code=NF

2. Because this is a harmonic you could try a ferrite core on both the + and the - and wrap it around several times. This may be the best "passive way" to fix resolve the problem.

Picture of the ferrite core.

when I get a chance I will give this a try... I have a bunch of ferrite I can use but I just need to find the time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The thing I think it is,is when the balasts is on its interfearing with the radio frequency, I have it very bad also and the only think think could help is mounting the ballasts in different places. I havent tred putting them in different places but when I put my new headlights in I put them in a diff spot and they got worse

·
Super Moderator
37,027 Posts
Wrap the ballast in foil and add farrite beads to the cables coming out. be sure to add a solid ground to the case of the ballast. <-- this will resolve the problem.

Try it

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
yea your not crazy, I get a second or 21 of static when I turn on my foglight HID's. But after they are warmed up I don't notice it. Cheaper HID's probably don't use any kind of filters. I'm not sure on the best method to ground the ballast since mine are taped to the truck with 3M..

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Wow now I'm starting to notice this more...But only with my foglights (Same brand as my lowbeam HID's) and they are only located about a foot apart.

I parked the other day and had static on my radio (weak signal in that exact spot). Noticed that if I switched off my Foglights I had an excelent signal boost! Turning off the lowbeams made no difference.

Then I thought maybe it's both sets combined causing the problem...So I turned on my HID Foglights only (I made modified the steering stalk for independent control) and the interfearance came back. So there is definately something strange causing the interfearance related to the foglights. I'm going to guess that the foglight power wire might be linked to the HU's 12V or perhaps is just located too close to the antenna wire.

I'm thinking about getting some relays and running seperate power wires for my fogs's when I find some time. This should help with the issue of them misfiring from time to time as well.

The way I have it now is Battery -> fuse -> relay -> wire soldered into stock harness on passengers side I think I used 12 ga wire. So this wire has to carry enough current for both HID's to startup in the case where my headlights are not turned on yet. If my headlights are turned on then I think they get power from both the stock harness and from my wire direct fromt he battery. I think perhaps this is causing the startup issues. Although the gauge wire should be large enough, it's only soldered into the passenger side.

Anyone know where the split is in the stock harness to go from left to right sides?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the same problem with my truck. I unplugged the laeft balast and the problem was still there. I unplugged the rightside and the reception was clear again. So I took the kit back to where I bought it and they gave me a new kit. istalled it and pdoblem was still there. The problem is coming from the rightside. Its not the balst i replaced it twice. Added relays and even connected it directly to the battery, didn't fix it. Its not the balast. Ground/power? Any idea?

·
Registered
220 Posts
move the ballast as far away from the antenna. that'll fix it

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have the same problem with my truck. I unplugged the laeft balast and the problem was still there. I unplugged the rightside and the reception was clear again. So I took the kit back to where I bought it and they gave me a new kit. istalled it and pdoblem was still there. The problem is coming from the rightside. Its not the balst i replaced it twice. Added relays and even connected it directly to the battery, didn't fix it. Its not the balast. Ground/power? Any idea?
move the ballast as far away from the antenna. that'll fix it
From the Ham Antenna or car antenna? My Ham Antenna is as far away from the ballast as possible and I still get static when running my fog lights. They also cause static on the AM/FM regular radio.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I have the same problem, and mine our mounted right behind each headlight. DOES ANYONE HAVE A PROVEN SOLUTION YET?

·
Super Moderator
37,027 Posts
I am working on this but it looks like we need a better ground. I am going to add a relay to my fogs and directly connect to the battery and see what that does. Ill report back when I know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts