Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For a couple months, I had been running 6000K HID bulbs in my fog lights without any issues. Last week, I noticed my driver side (left side) fog light housing had quite a bit of condensation built up. When I took a closer look, I noticed part of the reflector where the bulb seats had melted. Since that part melted, there was nothing to keep the bulb secured causing the bulb to point upwards. The placement I had was "2" was on top and "1" was on the bottom. My passenger side was perfectly fine.

Fast forward to this weekend. I ordered a new fog light housing for the left side. Also, since I had melted reflector material all over my HID bulb, I replaced both HID fog light bulbs with brand new HID fog light bulbs. This time, I had "1" on top and "2" on the bottom. After aiming my bulbs and going for a drive to make sure I wasn't blinding oncoming traffic, I noticed both of my housings were starting to melt where the bulbs seat.

Do I have the placement wrong? Does the placement matter?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Are you running 35w or 55w lamps? It's always recommended you run 35w since 55w gets way to hot. As far as placement, aren't they idiot proof? Meaning, the 3 pegs or so are spread apart so the bulb can only go in one way?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you running 35w or 55w lamps? It's always recommended you run 35w since 55w gets way to hot. As far as placement, aren't they idiot proof? Meaning, the 3 pegs or so are spread apart so the bulb can only go in one way?
I'm running the 35w bulbs. It's funny that you mentioned the 3 pegs. The first time I installed them with "2" up, I put them in while laying underneath the truck. I don't know how I was able to get them in with "2" up because that would make them 180 degrees from where the pegs match up. Maybe that's why it didn't seat properly the first time? When I installed them this weekend, I matched the pegs by looking into the housing from the front. That's how the ended up with "1" up.

I'm just hoping it doesn't melt anymore.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Where did you get the bulbs from?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am going to try Xentec HID bulbs instead of the HIDExtra in my fogs. Xentec is what I had the first time, and my right side never had issues.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I am going to try Xentec HID bulbs instead of the HIDExtra in my fogs. Xentec is what I had the first time, and my right side never had issues.
I'm running xentec 10K's in all mine and never have/had any issues...

Reactions: madrock

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've had over 6 pairs from HIDextra. I've had 0 problems. Every HID bulb is the same, no matter where you order them from.

The bulb can only go in 1 way. The "1" "2", bulb and wire... It doesn't matter what direction they are. That's irrelevant. It just completes the circuit. The bulb can only go in 1 way. They're are usually 3 pegs. 2 small, 1 large. You match up the openings and turn it to lock it. It can only turn 1 way to lock, and back that same way to unlock.

I'm guessing it's cheap fog lights. What kind of fog lights do you have? A 35W will not burn a quality light housing. Also, some housings say not to use HID's directly on them.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
well i just installed hidextra fogs and 35w lows....just last night my drivers side low didnt come on? so i tried again and it didnt come on. so i turned them of along with the truck and then it came on....normal?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had over 6 pairs from HIDextra. I've had 0 problems. Every HID bulb is the same, no matter where you order them from.

The bulb can only go in 1 way. The "1" "2", bulb and wire... It doesn't matter what direction they are. That's irrelevant. It just completes the circuit. The bulb can only go in 1 way. They're are usually 3 pegs. 2 small, 1 large. You match up the openings and turn it to lock it. It can only turn 1 way to lock, and back that same way to unlock.

I'm guessing it's cheap fog lights. What kind of fog lights do you have? A 35W will not burn a quality light housing. Also, some housings say not to use HID's directly on them.
Where did you get your housing from?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just installed hidextra in the lo beam and fogs. I hooked up the bigger ballast to the headlights and the smaller one on the fog ~ no part number/directions! I hope this doesnt become a problem for everyone and Im bummed it happened to you! Bulbs only fit oneway on mine.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
well i just installed hidextra fogs and 35w lows....just last night my drivers side low didnt come on? so i tried again and it didnt come on. so i turned them of along with the truck and then it came on....normal?
Some HIDS need to be reset occasionally it's happene to me twice and the guys at HID nation told me to turn them off for 3 mins while the ballast reset..then I turned them back on and voila!!! Back to normal!... ;) hope that answered for u...I tried ;))

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, my reflectors in both of my housings completely melted last night. I have come to the conclusion that:

A) I am just cursed.

B) I need to stop buying eBay housings and spend the money on OEM if I want to run an HID kit.

C) Just go back to halogen fog light bulbs.

If I am cursed, I'd hate to drop $160 on OEM housings only to have them melt as well.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
madrock, oem housins have a thicker lens. you need to PM 084x4blackbeauty. he can get the lenses oem at cost. like is said earlier in this thread i bought a brand new fog light kit with light stalk included from him for 100.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
madrock, oem housins have a thicker lens. you need to PM 084x4blackbeauty. he can get the lenses oem at cost. like is said earlier in this thread i bought a brand new fog light kit with light stalk included from him for 100.
Thanks. I'll send him a PM. I know they have a thicker lens, but it was the reflector on my eBay ones that melted. I am hoping that the OEM ones have the reflectors positioned to allow more room for the HID bulbs.

I found this picture on ClubArmada that shows what mine looks like:

Reactions: 08crewcab

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
i had both light housings and the 0em is 100% different,lens,reflector and weight. blackbeauty is a good guy he'll hook you up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts