Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
My JDM's are still working. But I have some trouble starting up some of their older ballasts (used in my foglights) every now and then using the stock wiring harness. Then again they did not have the appropriate plugs for the foglights...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
HID kits are hit and miss. The link posted for Xenonking is quality stuff. Be careful with the ebay crap, because alot of it is just that. Inferior products lead to grounding issues, blinking, fitment, durability.....etc.Also you want a way to obtain spare parts like bulbs and ballasts if needed. Ever tried to do that on ebay???? You will need to probably aim/adjust your lights too. Then there is the high beam issue after aiming, they are pointed in the air. They look really cool and put out alot of light. There are pros andd cons to everything, just having a heads up is a benefit in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
roy365 said:
HID kits are hit and miss. The link posted for Xenonking is quality stuff. Be careful with the ebay crap, because alot of it is just that. Inferior products lead to grounding issues, blinking, fitment, durability.....etc.Also you want a way to obtain spare parts like bulbs and ballasts if needed. Ever tried to do that on ebay???? You will need to probably aim/adjust your lights too. Then there is the high beam issue after aiming, they are pointed in the air. They look really cool and put out alot of light. There are pros andd cons to everything, just having a heads up is a benefit in my opinion.
Interesting I don't have any issues with my high beams after adjusting my lights. In fact the high beam position is perfect now. I actualy had to lower the lights a tad not raise them.

Make sure you get D2R bulbs and not the kind made for projectors unless you want to blind everyone and waste 70% of the light.

With stock high beams + 4 HID's Driving and Fog, you will have alot of light out in front of you when needed, although you need to mod the headlight stalk to be able to turn them all on independently.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Interesting I don't have any issues with my high beams after adjusting my lights. In fact the high beam position is perfect now. I actualy had to lower the lights a tad not raise them.

Make sure you get D2R bulbs and not the kind made for projectors unless you want to blind everyone and waste 70% of the light.

With stock high beams + 4 HID's Driving and Fog, you will have alot of light out in front of you when needed, although you need to mod the headlight stalk to be able to turn them all on independently.
interesting...........why the D2R bulbs????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,397 Posts
roy365 said:
interesting...........why the D2R bulbs????
The D2R bulbs are designed for our style of headlights!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I have owned a H.I.D. company for almost 2 years now and have figured out that the stock head light gives the best spread of beam for a hid conversion... I have done over 50 titans in AZ and i have played with projectors and a normal head light and i like the normal head light better. Also what i use my truck for (off road) the sotck head light works the best.. I have my low beams, High beams and fogs done on my truck and i couldnt ask for more. I had 4 hella hids on the front of my truck but i like the lighting i have now better then the 4 hellas. If you have any questions feel free to contact me @ (480)234-8092 Anthony... H.I.D. Lighting & Acc. Inc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,397 Posts
Here I found this at http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

What is the difference between D2R and D2S?
The main difference is the U-shaped masking on the D2R that blocks out unpredictable light in certain directions. Also, the base has different notches. Name of base is P32-d2 for D2S and P32-d3 for D2R. D2R was developed so that Mercedes could still use their reflector based headlights in the mid 1990s. They did not want use projectors like BMW. A glare box inside the headlight could have been used to accomplish a straight line, but a mask painted on the bulb was cheaper to make and had better precision. Other (near) luxury cars (Lexus, Infinity and Acura) followed Mercedes and equipped their cars with D2R bulbs in reflector based headlamps. Using a D2R in anything else than a OEM HID headlight designed for the D2R bulb makes no sense. It will only reduce output. Some HID kits comes with D2R bulbs. Some amateur kit designers will even claim that D2R genrally reduces glare in a retrofit. This is nonsense. The D2R bulb masking is around 3-4 a'clock and 8-9 o'clock when bulb is in right position. Those are not the (only) sectors that creates glare.
As an example, here is the data on Philips 2 versions:
D2S: 3200lm, 4250K, 91lm/W, 35W
D2R: 2800lm, 4150K, 80lm/W, 35W
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
roy365 said:
Those bulbs dont even fit in our housing!!!! The Titan takes a 9006 low beam.......so how are you replacing it with a OEM style D2R/D2S bulb??? It wont work. Unless you retrofit with a different lamp housing

9006 is the correct bulb (that is the base of the bulb and the plug it uses to connect), but the ballast and bulbs on my kit are D2R's (Thats what it says on the ballast) I think has to do with the shape of the bulb itself but I'm not sure, maybe that was jsut what my ballasts were origionaly for... (designed to work with reflectors). I don't know about painting crap on the bulbs as my D2R's do not have anything painted on them. I know I drove anopther titan that had different bulbs and it threw the light everywhere. It illuminated street signs 25 feet above the truck just as well it light up the road in front. I would not recomend this unless your entire objective is to blind other people in front of you.

The 9006 D2R's in my truck put out much more usable light in front of me, directed at the road and does not bother other drivers nearly as much. I also still illuminate street signs WAY WAY WAY better than stock anyways.

Get a quality kit made in japan, or authentic philips kit would be your best bet and I recomend 4500-5000k. 6000 is ok too but I have 8000's and they are way too blue. (I requested 6k and recieved 8's long story but sent everything (requested by seller) so as to get 6k's for low and fogs and they took my 6k's and sent 8ks for everything so I deal with it every day)...

This is the kit I have, but I paid like $280 each 2 years ago.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...010QQitemZ200166906422QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
The housing design is what lets out all of the "unwanted" light. The D2R/D2S buld is not supposed to go in our housing. Those are OEM HID bulbs for Lexus or Mercedes or Acura....etc. So where does that leave me.......keeping my 9006 HID "blinders" in and aimed correctly, unfortunately the high beams are not aimed now since the install. I called and verified this with the distributor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
roy365 said:
I did find this lil tidbit of info in case anyone wants to read. Sounds like there is a new design for reflector style housings!!!!

http://www.hidexpert.com/producthtml/9006_rebased_bulbs.html
Looks good maybe I will try those when mine burn up. Those almsot look like halogens. My Ballasts clearly say D2R on them I can post pictures if need be. My bulbs do not look like those ones though.

Has anyone found some HID bulbs that have the proper connects for the foglights? Mine screw in properly, but I had to wedge the spade type of terminal into the factor plugs and I think this is leading to my problems with only one bulb turning on every so often. Then again the ballsts for my Foglights looked older and have a narrower voltage rating as well.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,454 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Looks good maybe I will try those when mine burn up. Those almsot look like halogens. My Ballasts clearly say D2R on them I can post pictures if need be. My bulbs do not look like those ones though.

Has anyone found some HID bulbs that have the proper connects for the foglights? Mine screw in properly, but I had to wedge the spade type of terminal into the factor plugs and I think this is leading to my problems with only one bulb turning on every so often. Then again the ballsts for my Foglights looked older and have a narrower voltage rating as well.
try using some electrical tape to secure your fog spades. thats what is keeping mine at bay currently....or heat shrink would be better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
cst silver said:
I have owned a H.I.D. company for almost 2 years now and have figured out that the stock head light gives the best spread of beam for a hid conversion... I have done over 50 titans in AZ and i have played with projectors and a normal head light and i like the normal head light better. Also what i use my truck for (off road) the sotck head light works the best.. I have my low beams, High beams and fogs done on my truck and i couldnt ask for more. I had 4 hella hids on the front of my truck but i like the lighting i have now better then the 4 hellas. If you have any questions feel free to contact me @ (480)234-8092 Anthony... H.I.D. Lighting & Acc. Inc.
Thanks for the help over the phone, I'm waiting for my overpriced ebay hids to show up (today hopefully). I'll give you a ring when I need parts.:)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top