Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my second ballast replace due to it shutting off by itself. This was the right light. Tonight, my second one, the replacement one was acting like the orginal one and it would shut off by itself upon start up. Funny thing is once the truck warms up it doesn't shut off. So does the ballast needs to warm up? Or am I in the same boat as the defective one and the kit I order totally sucks....:dunno:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
kit sucks. I had a kit on my acura for 2 years and not a single problem. cant remember the brand but I will find out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
roy365 said:
You get what you pay for with HID kits. Shotty bulbs and ballasts will continuously give you problems.
Well, it is hard to tell which kits are good to buy. I thought I bought a good kit because the guy had good feed backs, but i guess i was wrong. I didn't want to buy a cheap kit or expensive one. Anyways, the first ballast shut off no matter which side i switched it too. The new one somehow acted funny for 2days but it is fine now.I'm sure if will eventually fail within due time. I guess I get for what i paid.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I paid $280 for the set in the Titan and they are the same as the set I bought for $70 off ebay for my car and no trouble from either one, (knocks on wood)...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
1BadTitan said:
I paid $280 for the set in the Titan and they are the same as the set I bought for $70 off ebay for my car and no trouble from either one, (knocks on wood)...
the kit i bought was 186.00. i thought that was a fair price since they had very good feed back. i was wrong. i should of bought the 70.00 kit but some of them had bad feed back. i also know guys on local car forums who had electical fires from cheap kits. i didn't want anything like that to happen to me. like i said, i check around for a decent kit and make a sound buy. instead, i had a seller selling $hity kits. i just left a neg feed back warning others. i'm cutting my loss and i don't feel like wasting anymore money spent on shipping cost when the replacement unit blows right away.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
every now and then one of my foglights will not fire up all the way and shut off. It hasent happened for a few months now but I think it has happend 3 or 4 times since I owned the kit. I'm just going live with it as it is also my second ballast and these were made in japan.... Also I noticed (so far) it was only doing this when it was connected via my own wiring mod which is like 14 ga to the battey. My fogs are on when the swich is activated for foglights and the parking brakes are on, however I also have the origional wiring still so I wonder if they get more power when I have the headlights on as well (I'm not sure).

Anyways HID's pull alot of power on startup if they don't get all the power they need they will shut off.

Cheap kits do not have auto re-strike so you will need to flip the lights on and off to try again.

I noticed on some newer kits the lights will operate as low as 7 volts, where as my foglight HID's have a smaller operating range than my Headlight HID's. Of course these are just paper specs but since they are both made by JDM, I'm sure one truely has less operating voltage range than the other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too have problems with my HID's coming on. Usually only on my Driver's side. It seems that colder weather plays a big part. Usually turning off then back on again will get them running but today I wasn't able to get the driver side on at all. I am going to try some dialetic (spelling?) grease to see if that helps any on the connections. The kit I purchased was for $160. What are the brands of the worry free kits I am hearing about?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rob25 said:
I too have problems with my HID's coming on. Usually only on my Driver's side. It seems that colder weather plays a big part. Usually turning off then back on again will get them running but today I wasn't able to get the driver side on at all. I am going to try some dialetic (spelling?) grease to see if that helps any on the connections. The kit I purchased was for $160. What are the brands of the worry free kits I am hearing about?
i'm going to try that next but it is cold as heck here. it is a pain to try to get that hid going if it fails while driving. I don't want to cause an accident nor get a ticket. let us know if that grease helps out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts