Nissan Titan Forum banner

HID Skooling Needed

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  RobKar 
#1 ·
My wife finally got fed up with having the lowest horsepower car in the driveway and recently upgraded to a new 2007 G35x about 6 weeks ago (306hp – 1 more than my 04 Titan). I’ve fallen in love with the headlights. (Well, the whole car truthfully, but the headlights are one thing I can replicate in the Titan.) HID’s rock, plain and simple. In the past I was reluctant, because I’ve added the leveling kit and I’ve never gotten around to readjusting the aim of the headlights and figure that people will HATE me with HID’s. But after some butt time in the G at night, I don’t care anymore – I want HID’s…

So… My first question is concerning the heat ranges. The G’s stock light only has the slightest blue tint to it and everything I’ve read says that factory HID’s are usually 4300k. So, I’m figuring that’s what I want too. As an added plus, I figured that 4300k would also be less ‘bright’ to the oncoming traffic. But after reading, it appears that 4300k is actually brighter than 6000k – and 6000 is brighter than 8000 – and so on… Does this truly match everyone’s experience? (It appears from other posts that people ‘upgrade’ to the higher temp bulbs, but they would in fact be de-grading the light output – while getting bluer and purpely light which I guess most think is cool and I think just attracts the man.)

What about the high beam? Anyone add a high beam kit too? Is that just Overkill? It would seem to me that you never need to use high beams again, if you have HID low beams??

Finally – fogs. I’m assuming I can do the fog lights too… (just to match the color – don’t really need ALL that light, do I?). Anyone add HID’s to the factory foglight setup?

See less See more
#2 ·
Most people get 5000K or 6000K hid kits, they emit alot of light and have the slightest hint of blue. If you want the most usable light, dont go higher than 6000K. If you go the OEM route, then you will most likely have 4300K since thats whats in most oem HID equipped cars.

You WILL have to aim your headlights lower since hid beam is very intense and will bother/blind oncoming traffic.

As for high beams, you can buy a set of hid for them, but its really not necessary nor recomended. HID takes a second to startup and defeats the purpose of flashing your highs. Also, flashing HID repeatedly causes damage to the bulb so I would avoid buying a HID kit for your highbeams.

You can also get a HID kit for your foglights as well. I have a 6000K hid kit for my fogs and they put out tons of light!

#3 ·
The G is a wonderful car isn't it I have owned one since 03. I finally had to get rid of it last January my lease was up. I ended up buying a Titan one thing I do miss is the HID look at night.

You are correct about the light output of HID's the higher you go more light scatter you get. In my experience the 4300 is the best when it comes to light output. The maximum I would go is 6000 anything over that is just a waste of money. You can hardly see anything on the road if you go higher. What I would do is put 4300 on the low beams and put 6000 on the fogs. Goodluck with your install hope it turns out well.

#4 ·
Thanks - I've been reading all the old threads here about this too. I'll skip the high beams - I rarely use them anyway and with hids I doubt I ever will again... I will do the fogs eventually too. (I will be re-aiming the lights)

I've pretty much decided that I want 4300k on the headlights... I'll have to see what I can find for the fogs.

One final question - Do any of the aftermarkey HID's provide the same cutoff as OEM - or is that a function of the housing? You can see a vey crisp line where the brightest light stops in the G.

#5 ·
the projector is what gives the cutoff. If u just put a plug and play hid kit into the stock housing, there will be no cutoff.

#6 ·
I got the low beams AND fogs for $300 shipped from an ebay company called "nissangtrpower". Look them up cuz they have our fog lights in stock, which is hard to find cuz I contacted several ebay sellers and they didn't offer the 881 bulbs.

#8 ·
wiskers said:
I got the low beams AND fogs for $300 shipped from an ebay company called "nissangtrpower". Look them up cuz they have our fog lights in stock, which is hard to find cuz I contacted several ebay sellers and they didn't offer the 881 bulbs.
Well I checked those out, and they were really cheap as a buy it now for the 9006, like $99, but freakin shipping was $41. Still pretty cheap overall though...

How long have you had yours?

#10 ·
XterraChad said:
Well I checked those out, and they were really cheap as a buy it now for the 9006, like $99, but freakin shipping was $41. Still pretty cheap overall though...

How long have you had yours?

Since January I believe. And this company has a 1.7yr warranty on the kit so my azz is covered for quite a while still.

#11 ·
I have a 4300K kit in the low beams, and its very nice. The lights are much brighter than other halogen lights out there. I notice it the most on the highway, where cars going to the same direction are next to me. My lights completely over-power them.

I am however, looking for parts to complete a retrofit of OEM projectors into the headlights. Not sure if I will get everything or even do it, but I am thinking of a summer project.

#12 ·
definitely adjust your lights. even a slightly lifted truck is too bright if the headlights aren't aimed properly. That's with halogens. I speak from experience because we have a few cars as well as my big truck. you don't want to light up the interior of a cop car in front of you.

About HID, I would definitely invest in a retrofit since you're used to your G35. As others have stated, drop in bulbs will scatter. I have bmw X5 projectors in mine and I like them. It has a motor for the highbeams which i do use as well.

#13 ·
Quite the contrary to everyone else, I did not adjust my headlights down after the lift...and I do have HiDs. Its actually kinda fun. You know how you get that guy doing 35 in a 45 or the guy who cuts you off? He doesn't like to too much when he worked so hard to get infront of you just to have to get out of the way of my lights!

But really, you SHOULD adjust your lights down. Also, check out this web site. It is where I got my HiDs from and I love them. They are highly recommeded among the "lighting' forums, etc.

www.kaixenkits.com

#14 ·
pharcyde_titan said:
Quite the contrary to everyone else, I did not adjust my headlights down after the lift...and I do have HiDs. Its actually kinda fun. You know how you get that guy doing 35 in a 45 or the guy who cuts you off? He doesn't like to too much when he worked so hard to get infront of you just to have to get out of the way of my lights!

But really, you SHOULD adjust your lights down. Also, check out this web site. It is where I got my HiDs from and I love them. They are highly recommeded among the "lighting' forums, etc.

www.kaixenkits.com

Haha I love that. Happens all the time in LA, some dumb *** tailgaiting you in a Civic, then passes you on the right cutting the people in the right lane off then cutting you off, then gets overwhelmed by your HID's....payback is a b*tch...

#15 ·
titanle said:
the projector is what gives the cutoff. If u just put a plug and play hid kit into the stock housing, there will be no cutoff.

Um ...

Mine cut off just fine. I even had to realign my lights up so that I could see the road ahead not just stright down ...

I use 4300 in both Fogs and Low beams. I use HIR's in the high beams ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.