Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading several threads about this I havent found a definite answer.
Where is the best place to buy these and from who? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah - when you find out - tell me too. I’ve been reading everything I can find for a couple of weeks and I still don’t know. But this is what I’ve learned so far:

You can spend some coin on the bulbs and ballasts for a simple plug and play kit. Anywhere from $100 on fleabay to $400-500 for kits from vendors who claim to be better than the fleabay guys. I'm sure the truth is in the middle somewhere. I’m also sure you’ll get 10 responses from people with various opinions about which plug and play kit’s are best…

Regardless of which kit is the best - the problem with plug in play kits is that the stock headlight housing doesn't disperse the light right so the point is moot. To avoid blinding oncoming traffic, or glaring yourself blind, a good HID systems really need projectors to focus and, more importantly, cut-off the light where you don't want it (immediately on the road in front of you -2-5 feet- and in oncoming traffic’s eye’s).

There seems to be two options that I’ve found to get projectors for the Titan.. Option 1 – build it yourself from kits or oem headlights from parts scavenged from other oem hid equipped cars. Or, Option 2 – buy a housing already built for the titan. I’m getting older and finding myself falling more into the ‘buy it built’ side of things so for that reason I’m leaning toward options 2. … But I haven’t found it yet. You can buy the angle-eye projector lights on fleabay again for ~$160. And that, with a plug and play kit (which one – who knows) *theoretically* accomplishes what I want – HID’s with Projectors.

BUT the jury is still out on that one.

Anyone else have anything to share? Do the angle eyes projectors really project? What bulb kit works with them (if any)?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I bought a kit from B urtman Industries for my stock housings. The light outout is very good, and the beam pattern is comparable with the stock lights.

I did however, just order some 350Z projectors, ballasts and bulbs, and bought a set of stock Titan headlights for a retro fit I will be working on later this summer. I like the halogen replacement kits (I had one in my last truck as well), but my wife has factory HID lights and projectors in her car and there is no comparison.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The angel eye projectors are not made for hid, they wont disperse the light properly. You will get hot spots, and uneven light in front of the truck. However, some ppl have gotten decent results from doing so. I guess its luck of the draw, but you could give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
titanle said:
The angel eye projectors are not made for hid, they wont disperse the light properly. You will get hot spots, and uneven light in front of the truck. However, some ppl have gotten decent results from doing so. I guess its luck of the draw, but you could give it a shot.
Thanks - I suspected as much and it occured to me after I posted that perhaps the angle eyes are the right new housings to start my own diy conversion with... This way I can keep the original housings and bulbs intact and swap them out should I upgrade trucks. (I keep thinking I want a crew cab)...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Clancy said:
Thanks - I suspected as much and it occured to me after I posted that perhaps the angle eyes are the right new housings to start my own diy conversion with... This way I can keep the original housings and bulbs intact and swap them out should I upgrade trucks. (I keep thinking I want a crew cab)...
yeah just get the angel eyes and then do a retro with those headlights.

·
Registered
969 Posts
unless it says osram on it, it is inferior with 2 - 3 exceptions that cost 500+

you can source bmw, lexus etc hid components off ebay for much less than you can buy a crappy kit for, made in who knows where

·
Registered
420 Posts
gyrate said:
unless it says osram on it, it is inferior with 2 - 3 exceptions that cost 500+

you can source bmw, lexus etc hid components off ebay for much less than you can buy a crappy kit for, made in who knows where
im running phillips d2s

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The stock reflectors are not THAT bad, although custom projects are nice (no one makes a drop in yet), at least the stock husing does a decent job.

Besides everyone up here in LA is running aorund with ebay retrofits anyways haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts