Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took some pics of my FM radio mount...I didn't want to drill ANY holes or have some funky bracket hanging down.
I fabbed up an aluminum piece the drops into the center console storage, there's a cut out in the frt of the drop in that the power, ant and external speaker wires come out of.
Yeah, when you see the mag ant mount on the roof you know there's a radio somewhere, but at least it's out of the way. The mike has channel & volume control on it, and can be left out to use when the lid is closed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
That looks like a CB radio not an FM one. I have yet to see anyone have a microphone for an FM radio unless they were working at a radio station. :rolleyes:

Other than you needing to learn the difference in various types of radios, the install looks good.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like a CB radio not an FM one. I have yet to see anyone have a microphone for an FM radio unless they were working at a radio station.
You're kidding, right?...I just re-read your post, it's a FM radio used for communication, like police & fire, not for listening to rock n roll...The "Duh" factor should be hitting you right about....NOW

·
Registered
366 Posts
rrumaner said:
That looks like a CB radio not an FM one. I have yet to see anyone have a microphone for an FM radio unless they were working at a radio station. :rolleyes:

Other than you needing to learn the difference in various types of radios, the install looks good.

That's definitely not a CB radio! Looks like an amatuer radio... 2m Yaesu (140 MHz/VHF). Probably about 50W output unlike your 7W CB. And yes, most bands above 30MHz use FM (frequency modulation) with the exception of airtraffic channels (120ish to 136ish MHz I think). That's why they're called FM transceivers. So loufish is correct to say it's FM. Your older CB radios (29MHz) use AM.

Anyhow, the install looks great! I just recently purchased a Yaesu FT 8800 (2m/70cm) rig. Haven't installed it yet because I need an antenna mount. I'm having a friend fab an antenna/light bar that I'll install on the utilitrac/strut in the bed. I didn't want to drill a hole in the roof of my truck. I see you went with a mag mount. Unfortunately, I can't use a mag mount base with my antenna.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Ok I got it wrong. What is funny is that it does not look like anything I have had installed. Then again my radios were always the 800-900 trunking types which is why I got confused.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like an amatuer radio... 2m Yaesu
Yep...It's been "clipped' to get some of the higher freqs. and is a 50 watt unit.
The mag mount ant seems to work fine for me. I bought it used from a friend, and he had a bunch of race freqs already set up in memory, but of course I dial in a few new ones...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think thats awesome. great idea

·
Super Moderator
37,227 Posts
Very Nice!! It was tough finding a place for my Yaesu 8800 but I went with the remote mount and have the display where the nav would normally be. I remote mounted the mic as well. The radio is behind and above the glove box.

Are you a HAM?
I only ask because I am as well. If you want ill post up a couple of pics of the setup.

·
Registered
319 Posts
RobKar said:
If you want ill post up a couple of pics of the setup.
yeah I'd like to see your setup

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No "ham" here...Awhile back I was going out to MDR races with a friend doing road crossings & check points for them, so I wanted a radio for my then truck a 98' Ranger. I now do some chasing down in Baja for a bike team, and needed a radio for that...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm too new to PM you so, I hope you are still around:

I've been looking for a place to mount the radio and really appreciate yours.

A couple of questions:

1. Is the set up removable from the console? Looks like you can lift it out. That would be great.

2. I do not have your talent. Any suggestion as to where I could get the metal work done? Do you have a drawing?

3. Does the radio heat up in there?

Thanks.

sjh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts