Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a 2004 Nissan Titan 5.6L LE Crew Cab 4X4 automatic. Purchased it used from private owner who had all his service records. At 33,000 miles the check engine light came on; code scan stated "high idle RPMs". Dealer stated a Nissan tech. bulletin required a reflash of the computer for it to relearn how to idle. Just out of time warranty by 6 months; it cost me $200.

How did it unlearn how to idle? One month before engine light came on I cleaned the throttle body to remove grime using TB cleaner and paper towels. Ran fine for a month.

Maybe it is my imagination but it still seems to idle a little high; 650-700 RPMs. Fuel mileage seems to have decreased from avg. of 13 mpg to 11 mpg. Using brand name 87 octane fuel. Changed all of the fluids with Nissan fluids but still the same.

Idle is smooth, air filter is new and had been using Mobil 1 and tried Pennzoil Platinum with same results. Dealer serviced last time while in for idle RPMs and used Pennzoil regular oil.

Anyone have this issue with their Titan? Comments are welcomed and I thank you in advance. Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same truck, much more miles than you though. All of a sudden when idling at a light the engine sounded as if it was strained and running hard. My friend and I cleaned the throttle body in similar fashions as you, within half hour my truck idles at a light fine, but drives terrible at low speeds, noticeably decreased MPG and idle when in park is very high. Have you fixed your problem?

·
Registered
499 Posts
You should never clean these throttle bodies out. The truck has a "fly by wire" system. If you force the throttle plate open it will mess up the calibration of the Throttle Position Sensor and you will have to buy a new throttle body.

Also, 650-700 RPMs is about right.

·
Banned
25 Posts
TitanTech659 said:
You should never clean these throttle bodies out. The truck has a "fly by wire" system. If you force the throttle plate open it will mess up the calibration of the Throttle Position Sensor and you will have to buy a new throttle body.

Also, 650-700 RPMs is about right.
x2 thats like doing this to ur tb :gunz:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you guys ever resolve the high idle issue? I too cleaned and moved my throttle body, only to make it worse (900 rpms went up to 1100 rpms). I replaced my throttle body and MAF and back down to 900. I did the throttle relearn upon the installation, 3 times now and 800 rpms is the best I can get. My 2004 Titan has over 220K miles and was running like a champ until now. Any bit of information will help. Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can clean the throttle body. Just take it easy when opening and closing the throttle plates, it wont ruin it. Sometimes it can cause the throttle plate to be a little off (rare occasion) if you are to aggressive when manually moving the plates. If your idle is off after cleaning you have to reset the parameter's (dealer deal or you can use a high-end diagnostic unit that has the capability). The throttle body plate should move easily when opened by your touch. Now with all this said don't spray liquid into the throttle body apply your cleaner to a rag and then clean. It is an electrical piece so take it easy you can really screw it up if you don't use common sense.. I have cleaned 100's of drive by wire throttle bodies with never having to buy a new one from cleaning.

Just take it easy when cleaning it and make sure you put it back on correctly (connect all the vacuum hoses that you removed).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to post an update, just in case anyone reads this. After a month of dinking around, I finally figured mine out. My sending unit on my power steering pump is either bad or my power steering is going out. I bought a cheep sending unit on Amazon to test my theory, plugged in the new unit (but did not install in pressure line). Idle immediately went down to around 650 in gear. Drove it for a while, then reprogrammed throttle position and it dropped down to about 550 in gear and 750 in neutral. It's been a while since it's been back to near original levels. With the new throttle body and MAF I hope I get my gas mileage back (horrible as it was before, still will be better than the past month). It doesn't seem that I need the sensor for keeping idle up during tight parking maneuvers, so for now I'll just keep driving it and see what happens. No low pressure code as of yet (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you guys ever resolve the high idle issue? I too cleaned and moved my throttle body, only to make it worse (900 rpms went up to 1100 rpms). I replaced my throttle body and MAF and back down to 900. I did the throttle relearn upon the installation, 3 times now and 800 rpms is the best I can get. My 2004 Titan has over 220K miles and was running like a champ until now. Any bit of information will help. Thanks
The 2 vaccum hoses on mine. They go from front of intake to vvalve covers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.