Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the high utility bed option on my '05 4wd. For several reasons the bed is higher than I like. Can I lower the bed a couple of inches without it being a major deal? If this is not the right forum...which is?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The high utility bed?......
Your bed isn't any higher/taller then any other Titan...how would you lower a bed?

·
Super Moderator
159,622 Posts
Color me confused too. Unless someone stuck a body lift kit under just the bed of your truck, it's the same height as them all. Can you clarify?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The high utility bed simply means you have the Utilitrack system. If you don't have the Utilitrack system then you have the standard bed. High utility has nothing to do with bed height, it simply means the Utilitrack system, and accessories, gives you a greater (higher) offering of utility options than a standard (non-Utilitrack) bed.

However, if you want to lower the height of your truck bed, I believe there are aftermarket options available to lower you truck rear.

The "high utility" bed caused me a bit of pause and wonderment, too, when I first read about it in the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do have the Utilitrac setup and it is referred to as the High Utility Bed option. No comparison was made to any other Titan. However it is higher off the ground than a 150 or Silverado and I was just wondering if the bed could be lowered as usually any loading requires more lifting. I do have the Firestone ride rite air bags which could be in the way of any lowering effort. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
mcginkleschmidt said:
The high utility bed simply means you have the Utilitrack system. If you don't have the Utilitrack system then you have the standard bed. High utility has nothing to do with bed height, it simply means the Utilitrack system, and accessories, gives you a greater (higher) offering of utility options than a standard (non-Utilitrack) bed.

However, if you want to lower the height of your truck bed, I believe there are aftermarket options available to lower you truck rear.

The "high utility" bed caused me a bit of pause and wonderment, too, when I first read about it in the Owner's Manual.
Well aren't you Dr. Smarty!!!! :D The rest of us were confused about what the heck he was asking!!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
High Utility Bed Option = Flexable, many, diverse. High is referring to the number of bed options and accessories available for the bed, giving you greater flexability in how to configure the use of the bed, rather than it being just an empty box. No difference in ride height.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are some various lowering options around. Unfortunately it's not as simple as it is on some trucks which have various size suspension blocks that can be swapped. You should be able to find some threads on this by doing a search in the forums.

The height of the bed and side rails are my biggest gripe about the Titan. I knew the height would be an issue when I bought it, but it's been worse that I expected. I've been hauling a fair amount of concrete block lately, and I keep wanting my old 4-cyl Ford Ranger over the big Titan, which is kinda sad. The Titan is a really nice truck, but if I don't end up getting a 5th wheel (and thus needing the power), I may end up dumping it for something that is easier to load and unload. Even if I can get the Titan lowered without trashing the already weak payload capacity, I'd still have the too-tall bed rails.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Delta15 said:
total chaos shackles will lower it 3/4 of an inch
I'm going with those next year.
Same reason.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If you guys think the bed-sides are too tall, stay away from the F150's...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
FWIW...I never thought the bed-sides on the Titan were any taller then a Dodge or Chevy...To me they seem normal...

·
Registered
133 Posts
The spec you are looking at is load floor height. It is interesting - I have the brochures from the 2007 model year Dodge, Tundra, Titan, F150 and 1500/2500 in my desk. And Ford is the only company that even lists that spec:

F150 load floor is about 32-33" for a 4x2 model, and 34-35" for a 4x4.

I would have to measure my Titan to know for sure - I think it is in that same range as the Ford.

The bed of a 2500HD Chevy sits higher than a Titan. 1500 is lower, not sure how much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts