Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i noticed at wally world where i always buy my gas put a new sticker on the pump admitting that at least 10% is ethonol... ive gone 230 miles from my last fill up and im about to be on the E light... well thats HORRIBLE !.. i havent even added it up i just know its bad... im thinkng about switching to another gas station... anyone want to second that and also think thats why im getting such lame mpg ???

woo.. my 1000th post haha:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
killcatzforfun said:
ok so i noticed at wally world where i always buy my gas put a new sticker on the pump admitting that at least 10% is ethonol... ive gone 230 miles from my last fill up and im about to be on the E light... well thats HORRIBLE !.. i havent even added it up i just know its bad... im thinkng about switching to another gas station... anyone want to second that and also think thats why im getting such lame mpg ???

woo.. my 1000th post haha:cheers:

you need to tray using sheethz gas it batter on the titan

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what ??? tray- try ? sheethz??? wtf ??? explain more please..english :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
1,000 - nice work...

There should only be a small impact, "they" say.

Performance

All auto manufacturers approve the use of low-level ethanol blends. Ethanol blends (10% or less) are successfully used in all types of vehicles and engines that require gasoline. From a consumer perspective, there is no noticeable difference in vehicle performance when low-level ethanol blends are used. Because there is a slight difference in the energy content of ethanol and gasoline, there may be a slight reduction in vehicle fuel economy when using ethanol.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/blends/ethanol.html

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i just wish straight ethanol wasn't so damn expensive. here in houston ethanol pumps run $3.2x while super unld. runs for $2.97. it's like there's no point to a having a FFV truck.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
It started with Congress, which mandated that even more ethanol be used to extend the nation's fuel supply. From General Motors, an ad campaign called "Live Green, Go Yellow" gave America the impression that by purchasing GM vehicles capable of using E85 ethanol, we could help reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

What GM left out of its ads was that the use of this fuel would likely increase the amount of smog during the summer months (as the EPA's own attorneys had admitted in 1995) -- and that using E85 in GM products would lower their fuel efficiency by as much as 25%. (USA Today recently reported that the Energy Dept. estimated the drop in mileage at 40%.)

But one final setup for the public has gone unnoticed. At the Web site, www.fueleconomy.gov, which confirms the 25% to 30% drop in mileage resulting from the use of this blended fuel, another feature lets users calculate and compare annual fuel costs using regular gasoline to costs using E85.

Read all about it here. I avoid ethanol gas stations.

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/apr2006/bw20060427_493909.htm

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i dont know of any ehtanol pumps are around here.. i wouldnt mind buy a big tank and have my own pump if its that much cheaper then gas but idk...anybody know how to locate the stuff ? also how much impact should it have on my mpg's the way im running now

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
killcatzforfun said:
well i dont know of any ehtanol pumps are around here.. i wouldnt mind buy a big tank and have my own pump if its that much cheaper then gas but idk...anybody know how to locate the stuff ? also how much impact should it have on my mpg's the way im running now
http://www.e85refueling.com/
the stuff is supposed to be cleaner for your engine with an octane rating of 101. but some tests do prove that you will get less mpgs running ethanol.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
filled up just now and i barley got 10mpg... the pump is killing me somewhat but whats really making me mad is every time i go for a drive (around 5 miles to the store and back) i can see my fuel gauge go down....and everyone claims like 14mpg up and i never see it... the street around me are all 40 to 45 zones...

i usually get 100 miles for the first quarter tank then after that it shoots down hill... when i filled up tonight i was on empty and only had 240 miles on...

edit.. i changed gas stations.. went to circle K which doesnt have anything stating that they use ethanol... so we will see if that helps.. if not i think theres something wrong with my truck !

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have always heard that you get worse mileage with ethanol. Athough i have never used it, we cant get it down here. I just dont see the point
if it doesnt give the same or close to the same mileage for more money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ethanol based fuel (whether E85 or 10% additive as used in the North East) will always get you less gas mileage - it has fewer carbons
to burn (2 carbons in ethanol versus six or more in gasoline).

As stated above, it is added to all fuel in the North East during the summer months as an oxygenate to reduce emissions. We used to use MTBE (methyl tert butyl ether) until it was discovered it contaminated ground water which eventually lead to excessive production of Democrats. The use of ethanol in place of MTBE only offends Ted Kennedy - less for him to consume.

As a side note, I have noticed yellow jackets and wasps are attracted to ethanol based gasoline - they swarm around it. But once it hits their exoskeleton the hydrocarbon vapors instantly freeze them in place (e.g., take some gas and throw it on a wasp's nest and the wasps will be killed and frozen in place on the nest). Kind of a poor man's way to killing them without having to set them on fire or use pesticide sprays. Oh by the way, god help you if you miss the nest if you try it.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
albonismo said:
i just wish straight ethanol wasn't so damn expensive. here in houston ethanol pumps run $3.2x while super unld. runs for $2.97. it's like there's no point to a having a FFV truck.
Where you seeing this? Here in the SW (mostly Krogers) E85 running about $2.4x a gal.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
theres not e85 around me for a GOOD drive so im not going to worry about getting it. and the wasp thing is true, except for when the sense the alcohol they leave, they know it kills them and they will leave the area.. ive been using it forever...

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I thought the 10% ethanol was everywhere now. If not, it will be soon. I'm in NY and you can't get straight gasoline here anymore. It's all 10% blended. But 10% ethanol shouldnt be the reason for 10 MPG. I know straight E85 will KILL your MPG but that small amount (10%) should be un-noticable.
And offering a FFV was simply to shut the government up. It'll cost you more for fuel and lower mileage. Stick to gasoline.

·
Registered
58 Posts
PRJ said:
What GM left out of its ads was that the use of this fuel would likely increase the amount of smog during the summer months (as the EPA's own attorneys had admitted in 1995)

Just because of that false statement, I refuse to take the rest of the article at face value. It reads as if OPEC themselves wrote it.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85#Life_cycle_impact_of_E85_on_greenhouse_gas_emissions

Now, if you want to discuss why the US subsidizes the production of Ethanol from corn, while blocking the import of ethanol produced from sugar cane, which is 4 times as efficient as corn-made ethanol, then lets talk.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
killcatzforfun said:
filled up just now and i barley got 10mpg... the pump is killing me somewhat but whats really making me mad is every time i go for a drive (around 5 miles to the store and back) i can see my fuel gauge go down....and everyone claims like 14mpg up and i never see it... the street around me are all 40 to 45 zones...

i usually get 100 miles for the first quarter tank then after that it shoots down hill... when i filled up tonight i was on empty and only had 240 miles on...

edit.. i changed gas stations.. went to circle K which doesnt have anything stating that they use ethanol... so we will see if that helps.. if not i think theres something wrong with my truck !
Try keeping your RPMs below 2k when driving. I consistantly get between 350 & 400 from a tank. My highest has been 425 and when I filled up it took 27 gallons.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I thought the 10% ethanol was everywhere now. If not, it will be soon. I'm in NY and you can't get straight gasoline here anymore. It's all 10% blended. But 10% ethanol shouldnt be the reason for 10 MPG. I know straight E85 will KILL your MPG but that small amount (10%) should be un-noticable.
And offering a FFV was simply to shut the government up. It'll cost you more for fuel and lower mileage. Stick to gasoline.
In the town I live in in WI, 10% ethanol is used at about 75% of the gas stations. Those are the ones now losing my business.

I also have a Honda Civic. I noticed a 3-5 mpg decrease in ethanol blend gas when using it in my Honda. It does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I just filled up today at 270 miles. Was towing with this tank a bit though. I usually have to fill at 290 and take about 23 to 23.5 gallons. Today i took 24.5

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Originally Posted by PRJ
What GM left out of its ads was that the use of this fuel would likely increase the amount of smog during the summer months (as the EPA's own attorneys had admitted in 1995)

GM Enthusiast said:
Just because of that false statement, I refuse to take the rest of the article at face value. It reads as if OPEC themselves wrote it.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85#Life_cycle_impact_of_E85_on_greenhouse_gas_emissions

Now, if you want to discuss why the US subsidizes the production of Ethanol from corn, while blocking the import of ethanol produced from sugar cane, which is 4 times as efficient as corn-made ethanol, then lets talk.
Smog increase with ethanol is not off base at all. The reaction of volatile organic compounds, nitrogen oxides, and sunlight is a major cause of smog. Organic compounds are considerably more volatile in gasoline mixed with ethanol than in gasoline mixed with MTBE (ref).

The science behind why ethanol might increase smog is complicated. Part of the explanation is that ethanol produces more hydrocarbons than gasoline. Ozone is the product of hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide cooking in the sun. The ethanol produces longer-lasting chemicals that eventually turn into hydrocarbons that can travel farther. While ethanol produces less nitrogen oxide, that can actually be a negative in some very smoggy places. When an area like Los Angeles reaches a certain high level of nitrogen oxide, that excess chemical begins eating up spare ozone. <ref>

Even NPR had a program that talked about the smog issue with ethanol <link> at about 1/2 way through the program.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I lose about 10% mpg when the gas has 10% ethanol... lol... doesn't that pretty much prove the stuff doesn't burn?

It's req'd in Oregon during a couple winter months... or at least it used to be. I don't even pay attention anymore but I think it still is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts