Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4WD Titan purchased new in Aug 2006. It has less than 18,000 miles, thanks to a two year deployment in Iraq and being prudent about gas economy (use the truck pretty much when I need to haul stuff). I don't anticipate putting on more than 5,000 miles/yr going forward due to gas cost.

Other than the factory filter that got sucked into the A/C blower fan and had to be pulled out, I've had no trouble with my truck and like it very much. The most strenuous use it gets is hauling a few full loads of firewood down a muddy forest road each year. Even though the truck has the big tow package, I haven't towed anything yet.

Based on all the reports on this forum about differential and axle failures, I am wondering if I should keep the truck. I don't know what the chance of failure is with my truck and its application but I have a low tolerance for high predictability of failure and the subsequent cost of repair. Seems like the truck is a ticking time bomb and it might be smart to get out now.

Another option is to purchase extended warranty coverage although I don't know what that is going to run for my truck.

Anyone have any ideas about selling the truck or taking a chance with extended warranty? Thanks guys! :)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I say you hold it and do nothing especially if it's paid for. You have to remember that even a high percentage on an internet board is likely to mean a very low percentage market wise. I've had 2 2004s with no major problems (other than the brakes) and I've done 100k miles. An extended warranty is probably a grand, maybe more. A complete rear axle failure is probably a $1500 job. There are a decent number of people on this board with over 100k miles with no diff failures.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Personally I would keep the truck. Even though you have extremely low miles that truck is probably worth less than half what you paid for it. I do not think you can extend your warranty at least through Nissan. I tried and was told that once you pass the 3/36 I was no longer eligible. 5k miles a year and the biggest load is fire wood doesn't sound like your truck has any reason to fail on you other than the dreaded exhaust manifold which is covered to 80k miles.

·
Premium Member
76,985 Posts
If it's paid for and still in good physical shape, keep it. If you're honestly going to keep the mileage that low, why shell out another $35k for a new truck? Just put that car note money away for any problems the Titan may develop. Barring a serious accident, that money could cover a lot of maintenance and repair work over a span of time. Based on what you've posted I see no reason to get rid of it. It's driven too little to even warrant the fuel economy issue.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Do the axle vent mod and your worries should be gone.

·
Premium Member
44,908 Posts
If you are planning to get rid of it and not get another cause you have no need then why keep it. I would sell. (Warning: You will miss it.)

If your just going to get another truck, that doesnt make much sense, especially financially if this one is paid for.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you are really concerned about the rear diff failing then do the axle vent mod, install a deep finned pan, and make sure you are using 75W-140 Synthetic oil. If you do those things then I would say you are at no more risk of the rear diff failing than any other truck on the road.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
x3 on the axle vent mod. It was the first thing I did when I picked up my 2nd Titan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts