Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi , I posted this on another forum over a month ago with no results , so now I find you guys and ask the same thing.
I am a bit embarresed to ask this but
..... after changing my rear diff fluid ... i noticed a hole in the rear axle
....... pretend you are under the truck looking at the rear diff plate
...... on both sides of it are 2 indentions .... 1 up top .... 1 down below .... on both sides of the rear diff cover in the axle ....... the one indent up top on the passengers side has a small hole in the indention , it goes into the axle itself ........ what is this? ........ i am thinking of plugging it up ...... I took a pic to help show where it is ..... thank you
It seems as I can't post a pic until after I have 15 posts , so if you could please look here

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/1stwmg/titanaxle.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also uploaded this picture to this boards photo gallery but still can't post it here myself it seems

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for posting the picture. And I looked at that link the other guy posted.
So I guess the pin hole in the tab that was welded into place should not be there , am I understanding that right?
My concern is either fluid getting out or more likely dirt or water getting in , but I wasn't sure and did not want to block that hole up if it was the axle vent.
Could some one also please tell me where the axle vent is.
And to better explain this , .. the tab that was welded into place has a hole in the middle of the tab itself, about as big as the lead from a pencil.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
It seems like if the was a hole there(it's the plug weld holding the axle tube to the axle housing) it would be weeping oil by now.
If there is a hole, it's a warranty item, bring it back to the dealer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st of all thanks again ya'll for being so quick and helpful.
So it looks like what you guys call the plug weld has a hole in it, ok.
Any reason I shouldn't just slap some JB weld over it?
For something so easy to fix I kind of hate to have it sitting for most of a day at the dealership, it's not due for state inspection again until jan 2008 maybe then would be a good time to have them do this.
I have not noticed any gear lube coming out of it and I do check once in awhile and all the fluid from the factory appeared to be in the diff when I drained it.This is a model 2005 by the way bought in june but made in jan and they had told me the brake problem was fixed on this before I bought it however at about the 6000 mile mark I got the shudder , and they fixed it and now it's got over 12 grand on it with no other troubles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts