Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for somre info. My truck has a serious valvetrain clatter, and it quiets down after warming up. However when cold it rattles like a damn diesel. I also hear that purge valve after it's warm at idle. This seems strange so before I take it to the dealer any thoughts? It is in the valve train for sure and is way to loud for a 4 cammer. The tap tap taper has 750 easy miles so far. I'm freakin out :smoke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Its normal and since i changed my oil the valves have become much quieter. The purge valve is so ridiculous and embarrising when you have the radio off and you sit in your new truck sounding like its on its last leg. So change the oil and you may solve half your problem. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,062 Posts
sleightofhand said:
Its normal and since i changed my oil the valves have become much quieter. The purge valve is so ridiculous and embarrising when you have the radio off and you sit in your new truck sounding like its on its last leg. So change the oil and you may solve half your problem. :cheers:
I've herd they are working on a fix for this AC Purge value. And should have one soon. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Well the purge valve sounds like a ticking noise coming from my dash, open the hood and it sounds like a very loud tick noise (would of thought it was lifters but we dont have them), but it you hold the hoses it will stop, they say they need to add some oraface to it so it doesnt create a vacuum. Thats just what i was told, i couldnt tell you any thing more then it shouldnt sound that way.
My ac makes a sound much like the sound the bag makes when they bag a patient at the hospital, or one of the breathing machines. Makes it every minute or so. Very strange i think it occurs about the same amount as my old ford truck used to click when i ran the air in it. So i gave up one sound for another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I don't know if it's the same noise I hear, but mine doesn't sound like valve clatter... You should NOT be hearing LOUD noises from the valvetrain.

I hear a VERY pronounced ticking, varying with revs, worse the more throttle that is applied. IMHO, it sounds like an exhaust leak. It's been to the dealer ONCE for it and they turned up nothing. I don't think they checked it out, honestly. I'm going back again. It's ridiculous. It sounds like pinging, but isn't. It sounds like it's coming from the floor in the passenger area and in unacceptable in my mind. The dealer last time told me it was the catalytic converter and was meant to do that. Umm, I don't buy it. It's also gotten worse than it used to be... That is my one BIG complaint with my truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for info guys. I still have the noise, Its not the purge valve as Ihave that noise also. Last night I took a ride to check it out. After about a 30 sec warm up, with it still running on cold start up I listened no noise. Then went for a 4-5 mile drive , the motor was at operating temp, the tranny still cold. I could hear it at lights when stopped. Then I pulled over popped the hood, it's loud as hell. So i'm thinkin injectors maybe? If that's true these are the loudest damn injectors I've ever heard. But the motor runs so damn good and the noise does quiet down after long runs. It just doesn't seem right that a high tech cammer would rattle like mine does. I will take it to the stealer for an oil change and report back. Thanks again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
dandy, at first i thought you had a typo but then just started to laugh, you're right with the name. mine too has a loud pronounced tick, but i remember my friends tundra had the same tick. i'm guessing its a twin cam thing? dunno. but i love my titan... i will be taking it in to the stealer for an oil change too... :jester:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Im back from the stealer. I set up an appointment but that wasn't easy. I tell the service writer about my issue and he wants the truck at the shop at 7am on a work day. No sat hours. So just to get it looked at I swing by around 4:30pm after all I have to work all day to make the payments Ya know :crying: They send out a 18-19 year old kid to look/listen to it. He does agree that it sounds kinda of loud. So we go for a test lap. He then states they all make this noise to a degree and when we get back, he fires up another titan. It too has the noise just not as loud as mine. If it made that noise when I bought it or a couple days after I would take it back. No way a 33,000$ truck should sound like that. I wonder what it will be like after its paid off??? So I will change my oil(Ibought 2 filters while i was there) no way that kid is doing it. I see myself at that age and say HELL NO! I will report back after the weekend. All I can say is this is unacceptable, If it continues I will be looking to trade it. :crying:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Warranty? you want a warranty? How bout if I take a dump in a box, guarenteed piece of sh*t. :jester:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
35,629 Posts
dandy said:
Well Im back from the stealer. I set up an appointment but that wasn't easy. I tell the service writer about my issue and he wants the truck at the shop at 7am on a work day. No sat hours. So just to get it looked at I swing by around 4:30pm after all I have to work all day to make the payments Ya know :crying: They send out a 18-19 year old kid to look/listen to it. He does agree that it sounds kinda of loud. So we go for a test lap. He then states they all make this noise to a degree and when we get back, he fires up another titan. It too has the noise just not as loud as mine. If it made that noise when I bought it or a couple days after I would take it back. No way a 33,000$ truck should sound like that. I wonder what it will be like after its paid off??? So I will change my oil(Ibought 2 filters while i was there) no way that kid is doing it. I see myself at that age and say HELL NO! I will report back after the weekend. All I can say is this is unacceptable, If it continues I will be looking to trade it. :crying:
Dandy:

What model do you have and when was it manufactured? How long have you had it? How many miles total and how many were on it when you noticed this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
dandy said:
Warranty? you want a warranty? How bout if I take a dump in a box, guarenteed piece of sh*t. :jester:
A: can I remind you this truck was designed from the ground up, BY HUMANS!!! stuff will happen, and you have to get used to the fact that you, the consumer is the guennea pig

B: Getting your oil changed by a 18yo is no worse than getting it chagned by a 35yo oil lube tech.

C: Your Stealership has about as much knowledge and experience with this V8 as you do. Nissan has only offered ONE class for this truck to the dealerships, and that was if you were lucky enough to get in line to fill it up in a two day period! Nissan Tech line is getting plenty of calls on the noise, which in your case is prob the purge valve.

D: your warranty is good, they just need fixes... then mass produce them. It DOESNT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT

-Sometimes I think I'm talking to children

-Corey
(Yes I bought one, Yes I'm having trouble with my radio, No I havent fixed it and I'm a freakin Tech.... luckily, I stilllove it to death)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
468 Posts
Hey, let's not all start taking a crap in a box every time we have a problem...LOL

My suspicion (might be way off) is that some folks have cracked exhaust manifolds. If you have a loud ticking that goes away when the engine gets warm, that smacks of a cracked manifold. As a cracked manifold heats up and expands, the crack closes and the sound disappears.

Toyota had a significant problem with this on new Tundras. They were coming from the factory with the manifolds over-torqued, and cracking.

To see if this might be a problem, start your Titan cold, and listen on either side of the engine. If the ticking is one one side, try to listen and see if it seems to be coming from the area of a manifold. If that seems to be true, take it to the dealer and specifically mention the manifolds.

HS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Toyota had a significant problem with this on new Tundras. They were coming from the factory with the manifolds over-torqued, and cracking.



HS, when did Tundras have this problem?? Was there a recall? Source of info?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
468 Posts
tundratouc said:
Toyota had a significant problem with this on new Tundras. They were coming from the factory with the manifolds over-torqued, and cracking.



HS, when did Tundras have this problem?? Was there a recall? Source of info?
I can't remember if there was a specific TSB on the problem. However, at TundraSolutions.com, it was a pretty common problem that members reported. I couldn't tell you what years were affected, aside from 2000 Tundras. My guess is that Toyota fixed it in more recent models. My dealer was aware of the problem and fixed it quickly with no hassles. Search Tundrasolutions.com for it if you're interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sheesh lighten up lawabidn. There is no way I would trade this truck, I was just really p.o. and needed to vent to some fellow owners. I love this damn truck, and spent a month checking out .5 ton pick up's. com'on a quote from tommy boy. :jester: It is however a serious concern as I mentioned earlier I will report back after my oil change. (AND NO ITS NOT THE PURGE VALVE!!!! )half shovel, thanks for the cracked manifold info. 37L1, It's a se crew,OR,BT,RF,DVD and i haven't looked at the date of manufacture. I do love this truck great power kinda reminds of my bro's clk430 with the 5-speed and all. It is not my intention to offend, just a little humor. I will not participate in any flames or hate. Im all about the love :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
dandy,
Keep on top of this.. You must have something going on that's just not the norm. Perhaps they can start up a few for you but I'm telling you mine is quite...very.
Sorry about your problem & keep us posted would-ya.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
35,629 Posts
dandy said:
Sheesh lighten up lawabidn. There is no way I would trade this truck, I was just really p.o. and needed to vent to some fellow owners. I love this damn truck, and spent a month checking out .5 ton pick up's. com'on a quote from tommy boy. :jester: It is however a serious concern as I mentioned earlier I will report back after my oil change. (AND NO ITS NOT THE PURGE VALVE!!!! )half shovel, thanks for the cracked manifold info. 37L1, It's a se crew,OR,BT,RF,DVD and i haven't looked at the date of manufacture. I do love this truck great power kinda reminds of my bro's clk430 with the 5-speed and all. It is not my intention to offend, just a little humor. I will not participate in any flames or hate. Im all about the love :cheers:
Good luck!!! I know they'll make it right for you.

Keep us posted! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Half Shovel said:
I can't remember if there was a specific TSB on the problem. However, at TundraSolutions.com, it was a pretty common problem that members reported. I couldn't tell you what years were affected, aside from 2000 Tundras. My guess is that Toyota fixed it in more recent models. My dealer was aware of the problem and fixed it quickly with no hassles. Search Tundrasolutions.com for it if you're interested.

Thanks HS. I have been with Tundrasolutions for sometime now, and have not run across that one. But, there is some concern over brake fade in the DC's. I don't seem to notice it with mine, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Had the same noise on the 99 KC Frontier 4x4. They chaged the PCV purge valve and some tubing and it went away. Got the same noise on the 2002 Frontier CC 4x4 before trading it in. Sometimes it was there, sometimes it was not. Read of problems with cracked exhaust manifolds as well as the PCV thing on Frontier sites. They redesigned the manifold and beefed it up where it was cracking. Saw before and after pics. Was hopeing this was in the past with the Titan, but I guess not. I would ask for the Purge valve and tubing to be replaced 1st and if problem is not solved then they should inspect the manifolds.
I just don't like how Nissan and the dealer act like your hearing things and give you some lame excuse or tell you it's normal just to get you out of their face. If I can read a TSB why can't they. Why is everything "Wheres Waldo" with them. Holy Shnikies....know your business (car/trucks).
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top