Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 3 1/2" long 1/2" bolt and used a thicker and thinner washer followed by a nylon inserted nut to hold the bolt in place on the rail. then a 1" piece of 1/2" inner diameter fuel line hose ( found at any auto store) followed by the jack another washer and another nylon nut.

All of it together didn't cost more than $12 and took about 15 min to put together ad is all weather proof. I used three bolts, one on either side of the jacking mechanism and one near the tip to ensure most support possible.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry had a duplicate image.

Reactions: Finn's Brood

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Wonderful setup!

I'm a nut for Stainless Steel hardware when I can, but Stainless has disadvantage of galling action sometimes. A hole through the end of the bolts would allow a small padlock for more security, but likely never a real issue. What did you use for those plastic Spacers? Ah, Fuel hose...

Excellent design. Love the price!:)

This needs to be in the Redneck Engineering thread, it's a real winner.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonderful setup!

I'm a nut for Stainless Steel hardware when I can, but Stainless has disadvantage of galling action sometimes. A hole through the end of the bolts would allow a small padlock for more security, but likely never a real issue. What did you use for those plastic Spacers? Ah, Fuel hose...

Excellent design. Love the price!:)

This needs to be in the Redneck Engineering thread, it's a real winner.
haha well redneck is how we do it here in norcal. lol. but yeah for a whole 10 min of thinking it up and 15 min of installation... waiting in the checkout line to buy the stuff was almost the longest part of it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Way cool man, the utilitrack rails are good for anything.

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
Where's the base of the jack at? do you just keep it off until you need it? I wanted to do something like you have done but the base was in the way. Looks great man. I wanna figure out a quicker way than bolts to secure mine in, like cnallick makes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where's the base of the jack at? do you just keep it off until you need it? I wanted to do something like you have done but the base was in the way. Looks great man. I wanna figure out a quicker way than bolts to secure mine in, like cnallick makes.
yeah i just keep my base in my side bed box and have a quick release pin to attach it.

Reactions: honda250xtitan

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Consider Heavy Duty Wing Nuts, Quick Disconnect Pins or Clevises. All are available in a wide variety. Check those search words at McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Man that's awesome. You're making me re-think my decision to buy a floor jack to keep in the truck instead of a hi-lift...

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
Man that's awesome. You're making me re-think my decision to buy a floor jack to keep in the truck instead of a hi-lift...
Do both. I'm gonna probably get a floor jack too in addition to my hi-lift.

·
Registered
14,135 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
I would use wing nuts...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Matching Wheel Locks, same as ones on your rims, would be cool. You would already have a wrench and socket handy at all times for easy removal, yet be more theft resistant than standard hardware. Nice Looking too.

Lurch, to gain clearance you could have a simple 1/4" Thick x 2" or 4" Wide Aluminum Flat Metal bracket to extend down about 4 inches, then uses same idea to have easy removal and compact storage. 3 pieces of the Aluminum would simply bolt to the Rail. Flat Plate with holes drilled in it. I know you know a metal fabricator. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
thats awesome, but i would find a black jack or piant that one, it stands out

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
you could bolt it down to the rails on the floor of the bed
That's what I thought right after I posted that, :eyebrow: ;).
Lurch, to gain clearance you could have a simple 1/4" Thick x 2" or 4" Wide Aluminum Flat Metal bracket to extend down about 4 inches, then uses same idea to have easy removal and compact storage. 3 pieces of the Aluminum would simply bolt to the Rail. Flat Plate with holes drilled in it. I know you know a metal fabricator. ;)
Are you volunteering? LOL. That's not a bad idea. It would be nicer to have it mounted to the side instead of the floor of the bed.

I don't know, I may just go with throwing the floor jack in a box in the bed. Had some other stuff come up and I just never found a box with the right dimensions that didn't cost 3-4 times the amount of the jack.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I just took two 4x4 blocks 8" long and bolted them together making a 8"x8" block to give me the extra height I needed to for the stock and hydraulic jack I have. All of which is behind or under the back seat.
I'm thinking of making a second block set as well so that I can put one under the jack and on top. This would ensure a solid ground on the top and bottom.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I just took two 4x4 blocks 8" long and bolted them together making a 8"x8" block to give me the extra height I needed to for the stock and hydraulic jack I have. All of which is behind or under the back seat.
I'm thinking of making a second block set as well so that I can put one under the jack and on top. This would ensure a solid ground on the top and bottom.
That's a sweet idea too! And it would keep me from driving around with an extra 100 lbs in my bed all the time.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Here are four photos. As you can see I have a steal plate on top with 1.5" screws holding it down. The metal sheet is from Lowes in the home building section. Its for the frame support.
I cut the bolts holding the boards together down to remove the excess so its more flush.
The last photo which has the black object upper right is my portable snow shovel :) Fits right behind the rear seat... You can see the board to the left, and the red object to its right is the 10 ton hydraulic jack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts