Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used AEM copy CAI with a AEM dry cone filter on it for a great price... Only problem was, no extended vent hoses, clamps or air box.

Now, thanks to my good friends here at TitanTalk, they had linked me to a thread on DIY heat shields... only issues was that it was for a Ford Lightning.
$3.95 DIY Heat Shield for Cold Air Intake - The National Lightning Owners Club Inc

I took that idea, and headed to Lowes and Autozone.

At Autozone I picked up 3 feet of 5/8" (I think, Ill check and edit if needed) hose which I used about 10-12" of to add length to the vent hoses. The remaining portion I used as a top seal/strip for both purpose and looks around the top rim of my heat shield. You'll see what I mean below...

To continue on this idea, while at lowes I picked up 2) 1/2" inserts to join the factory hose to the new piece of hose.

You can see how it fit on, and how I extended the lines here.

Now comes the fun part!

My wife and I spent some quality time in the trash can section of Lowes trying to find the perfect one to bring home with us. We narrowed it down to this bad boy...

Shop United Solutions 41-Quart Black Indoor Garbage Can at Lowes.com

United Solutions 41-Quart Black Indoor Garbage Can, Item #: 293514 | Model #:WB0131

I am not going to go step by step in my process, as I am certainly not claiming to be an expert here.. but here are some photos of the carnage.

Rough first try at fitment:

If you notice, to increase the structural integrity of the box, I did add a few second layers to brace it up. One on the 'opening' wall, and one on the bottom. I just used scrap pieces from cutting the length down. I also covered most of the box in metal tape, hoping to reflect some of the heat and also increase the integrity of the box.

Showing the addition of the second layer on the 'opening' wall. I drilled three holes through both pieces and slipped zip ties through the holes.

Used some metal tape to a) seal the two layers together more, close the gap and b) help reflect some heat

Covered the whole outside of the 'opening' and rear walls as well as the bottom to resist heat.

As mentioned above, I added the hose along the top lip to seal against the bottom of the hood, plus I think it looks cool.

The fitment was not hard to gauge and the only measurement tool I used was a simple tape measure. When I began, I was using a razor knife but found tin snips to work excellent! I also drilled small holes at all of the cut corners to assure no cracking, as this is somewhat brittle plastic.

If you notice here, it looks like this set-up will allow for a good 'scoop' of cool air coming in from the fender.

I have to add some more of the hose to the lip tonight, but all and all it is about 90% done.

Feel free to ask questions, and if you need help or suggestions - I am happy to assist!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I was just thinking (dangerous!). I noticed you had a set of speakerrs, and they are a wood object that is a rectangular shape.....nope, do not cut up the speakers. But; consider a CAI made of dimensional lumber like some 1" x 12"! I bet it could be made into a nice sturdy self insulating CAI. Easy to fabricate too. Just a crazy thought...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just thinking (dangerous!). I noticed you had a set of speakerrs, and they are a wood object that is a rectangular shape.....nope, do not cut up the speakers. But; consider a CAI made of dimensional lumber like some 1" x 12"! I bet it could be made into a nice sturdy self insulating CAI. Easy to fabricate too. Just a crazy thought...
hahaha the set of speakers was just there, so I figured why not use them. I do plan to put them in the ceiling of my garage, but until then they work as a work bench!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to post up some final images, in case anyone wants to replicate. Here are all angles.

It is dark, but I snapped a few installed images.

Thanks for taking a look!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
nicely done. 100% better than that stupid stock box that doesn't close right when you finish changing out the filter.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I actually think it came out great. Nice work.

Reactions: borobulker

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nicely done. 100% better than that stupid stock box that doesn't close right when you finish changing out the filter.
Yeah... I hear you.

I had the air box mod done, which was great - but this is a whole 'nother world.

I also have an Outerwear Pre-Filter coming for this set-up.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Awesome idea man Ive been tryin to think of a way to make this look good and u just did it for me, good job man.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome idea man Ive been tryin to think of a way to make this look good and u just did it for me, good job man.
Thank You!

A few others gave me a rough time about it, but the box is working mint... and I really like the cost.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Great job on the project. Has anyone done the same but a closed box style?????? I would love to see one! I have the k&n 77 series CAI and it is an open style system... Sucks.... LOL

Reactions: borobulker

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have you noticed any gains from this?
From no box to box - Not really... Seems like the noise is a little louder in the mid-range, over the open filter.

·
Premium Member
15,664 Posts
Yeah... I hear you.

I had the air box mod done, which was great - but this is a whole 'nother world.

I also have an Outerwear Pre-Filter coming for this set-up.

you got a link to that outerwears? I have the AEM intake and no fender liners. I would prefer to keep my filter dry... :ftard:

Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts