Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Association Threatens to Tow Vietnam Veteran's Car Over Marines Decals, The Dallas residential community's homeowners association says the decals violate the rules of the homeowners association, which deems them advertisements…

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
WTF are you kidding me. How can people allow others to tell them what to do?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
This happened in May of this year-Fox News a little slow to report?

U.S. MARINE CORPS VIETNAM VET under fire from Homeowners Association Bare Naked Islam's Weblog

Funny stuff here
The Eleventy Billionth Blog: Re: Woodlands II on the Creek? You're On Notice.

Follow the rabbit trail of anger and off-topic.

This happened in Texas. How could that kind of thing be? It's a Red State...you'd think that it happened in May, there would have been an uprising by now and talk of secession as this is the last straw of a free society. Rholland, care to organize it?:bump:

Lake Highlands Area Improvement Association
Here's the contact information...

Pretty restrictive Covenants if you ask me regardless of the content. The HOA in my opinion is attempting to make a unilateral ruling on a situation that is not as black and white as they would like it to be.

Funny thing-of all the easy to fix problems, if there were that many supporters, they could all vote out the HOA Board of Directors as well as go for positions themselves.

IF this is so big a deal, why no information that is current? Because when all is said and done it's amazing how something like this gets angry people angrier. Lots of talk and no action beyond threats of physical violence.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
This happened in May of this year-Fox News a little slow to report?

U.S. MARINE CORPS VIETNAM VET under fire from Homeowners Association Bare Naked Islam's Weblog

Funny stuff here
The Eleventy Billionth Blog: Re: Woodlands II on the Creek? You're On Notice.

Follow the rabbit trail of anger and off-topic.

This happened in Texas. How could that kind of thing be? It's a Red State...you'd think that it happened in May, there would have been an uprising by now and talk of secession as this is the last straw of a free society. Rholland, care to organize it?:bump:

Lake Highlands Area Improvement Association
Here's the contact information...

Pretty restrictive Covenants if you ask me regardless of the content. The HOA in my opinion is attempting to make a unilateral ruling on a situation that is not as black and white as they would like it to be.

Funny thing-of all the easy to fix problems, if there were that many supporters, they could all vote out the HOA Board of Directors as well as go for positions themselves.

IF this is so big a deal, why no information that is current? Because when all is said and done it's amazing how something like this gets angry people angrier. Lots of talk and no action beyond threats of physical violence.
Dallas does not represent all of Texas.

And where is the threat of physical violence you are referring to?

And yes secession gets closer every day.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Another stupid HOA. This is several months old & as could be
predicted the HOA could not take the heat & retreated.
-
METRO COLUMNISTS Blog | The Dallas Morning News
-
Someone used a program to show that Darenda Hardy contributed to the
Obama campaign........guess thats why she didn't complain about the Obama
stickers that were seen in the neighborhood........or maybe thats not advertising like
the Marine sticker.........A-hole

Attachments

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Another stupid HOA. This is several months old & as could be
predicted the HOA could not take the heat & retreated.
-
METRO COLUMNISTS Blog | The Dallas Morning News
-
Someone used a program to show that Darenda Hardy contributed to the
Obama campaign........guess thats why she didn't complain about the Obama
stickers that were seen in the neighborhood........or maybe thats not advertising like
the Marine sticker.........A-hole
Hey, can you get me a map like that of the entire country, I want to send it to Iranian jihadists and tell them that all their troubles would be over if they could take care of the Muslim fundamentalist hating, gun toting, bible thumping, racist Neanderthals living in those locations, lol.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Oh Jeebus.. Not this **** again... Get over it... Some people live in them. Some people don't. Life goes on.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
:rofl: Who f'in cares? :rofl:

Those people CHOSE to live where they do. They need to deal with it. As was said before, if you go into living in an HOA, knowing that there are rules, and you don't like them or don't abide by them, then YOU are the asshole, not the HOA's.... Period. Don't like it? Move... won't be missed....

·
Registered
26 Posts

Those people CHOSE to live where they do. They need to deal with it. As was said before, if you go into living in an HOA, knowing that there are rules, and you don't like them or don't abide by them, then YOU are the asshole, not the HOA's.... Period. Don't like it? Move... won't be missed....

That's not entirely fair. If the rule is explicit, something like "You can't paint your house pink with purple polkadots" and you do so anyway, yeah, you're an asshole. But these disputes are often times over subjective things (for example, in the case of the veteran with the flag pole, there was no explicit rule against flag poles in the HOA charter, so I'm sympathetic to his cause.)

I don't know what this HOA's letter of the law is, but it sounds rather aggressive.

On another note, often times people live where they can and not where they want. If you're lucky enough to be very picky about your hearth and home, count your blessings.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts

Some HOA rules are, unfortunately, unconstitutional. My area is cluttered with hideous campaign signs (I hate all of them, regardless of political affiliation) at election time, which are against the HOA rules (which are embodied as covenants and duly recorded in the title documents with the county). I was thinking about filing a lawsuit to enforce the covenants, but when I looked into it, I found this:

City of Ladue v. Gilleo, 114 S. Ct. 2038, 129 L. Ed. 2d 36 (1994).

·
Super Moderator
160,556 Posts
Good find, BAC. And though I'll support the Constitution, I'll still agree with BB's basic premise. That being that these folks made a choice to live in an HOA. It's not for everyone, so if it's not your thing live elsewhere. I hear the Davis Mountains here in Texas are full of folks like that.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
That's not entirely fair. If the rule is explicit, something like "You can't paint your house pink with purple polkadots" .......................
That's only part of the problem with HOA's. Selective enforcement
is another problem. The rules could prohibit purple doors, but
several of the "In-crowd" have purple doors, then a commoner
paints his door purple & that is a problem. I live in an area with
a HOA, but it has few rules. My neighbor erected a metal building
after checking with the people who lived in his immediate area... but
a metal building is prohibited. The head of the HOA told him he would
have to take down the metal building. My neighbor told the HOA to
kiss his a... because there were already four metal buldings in the
area covered by the HOA.
The real problem is that the other metal buildings were on the
property of the in-crowd. This guy was just a low
life you owned a roofing business & the HOA thought he looked like
an easy target.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hate that I technically am not allowed to fly an American flag on a pole in my front yard. I would not anyway since my yard is tiny. Other things about HOAs have me spun up too. However, I plan to save up, pay bills and buy somewhere with lands and no HOA. Then I fly the biggest American flag I can deal with realistically. HOAs have a place, some are run differently then others too. However, I out grew the desire for a HOA. I can deal with a neighbor 5 acres away or whatever having cars on a block or otherwise doing trashy things. Sure will beat the constant smell of curry I have now.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
That's not entirely fair. If the rule is explicit, something like "You can't paint your house pink with purple polkadots" and you do so anyway, yeah, you're an asshole. But these disputes are often times over subjective things (for example, in the case of the veteran with the flag pole, there was no explicit rule against flag poles in the HOA charter, so I'm sympathetic to his cause.)

I don't know what this HOA's letter of the law is, but it sounds rather aggressive.

On another note, often times people live where they can and not where they want. If you're lucky enough to be very picky about your hearth and home, count your blessings.
Sadly, MOST Americans have become both stupid and lazy. It's not just an opinion... it's a fact. Look around.

ALL HOA's have Bylaws and Declarations. They are not hidden. Most have websites with these documents on them. Intelligent people READ these documents. Most do not. Whose fault is that? Point made.

Those stupid enough NOT to read the documents provided or try to understand what they are buying are in for quite a shock. Most are very explicit. And the powers they provide in the Executive Boards are tremendous and generally can't be refuted, because the homeowner signed on the dotted line, therefore accepting the contract of abiding by the Bylaws.

For instance, here's a few items from my HOA's declaration:

Section 9c(iii) Construction of Houses; Use of Units and Common Elements.

The Executive Board shall have the absolute right and discretion to approve or disapprove any proposed Change for any reason, whether subjective or objective, including judgments based in whole or in part upon a sense of taste, aesthetics, harmony, suitability, or compatibility with the Community; provided, however, that if a Submission is for the repair or restoration of damage to or destruction of a House not caused by the intentional acts of the Unit Owner, then the review by the Executive board under this Section 9c shall be limited to confirming that the proposed Change will restore the exterior aspects of the Unit and the House to substantially the same condition and appearance which existed prior to the damage or destruction.

Section 9(i) Signs.

Subject to the rights of the Declarant under Section 8b of this Declaration, no exterior sign (or interior sign visible from outside of any House) shall be placed on any Unit except for the following: (i) signs containing the Unit Owner’s name and/or the address of the Unit, which sign shall not be greater than two feet in length and one foot in width, and (ii) a “For Sale” sign not greater than three feet in length and two feet in width.

As you can see from the verbiage, "whether subjective or objective...", it really doesn't matter WHY the HOA decides to deny you what you want. Is it right? Not always. It's an attempt to maintain the neighborhood in a sensible manner and weed out the goofballs who use fences as clotheslines or collect junk cars on their lawns.

Has it gone too far? In most cases, yes it has. Unfortunately, the documents are written giving them the power to say what is right and wrong in their respective neighborhoods... Some just overstep sanity and common decency in doing so... Others, well, they just fall victim to the system since letting one get away with something will just beg others to try to do so also.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I find it funny how hard some people fight for freedom and the right to express themselves, and then they sign their arses and their freedom away without reading the fine print. Too bad for mr marine that he didn't take time to read the HOA agreement that he was signing. You wouldn't ever catch me living in a place like that. They may offer good deals in a good neighbourhood, but my freedom of expression is priceless!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
In my area, some of the old timers set themselves up as an "architectural control committee" and started charging custom builders a fee for plan review and approval. Everybody was going along with it for at least a decade, including the county building department, until one builder did a title search, read the fine print, and noted that there were no recorded provisions whatsoever for the committee, plan review, or fee. He sued the "committee" and its members, which all immediately resigned from their self-appointed positions.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts