Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.... i just had a question . This weekend i changed the oil on the titan and my sisters honda civic, and well to make a long story short i wasn't paying attention and i put the Civic's oil filter on the Titan.......it screwed on just fine and i checked for leaks and every thing was fine......

Should i be concern about this?? because it is a little bigger....or should i just wait till the next oil change and install the correct one??

Take it easy on me guys....lol!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would change it immediately and never again mention you did such a thing. If you ever had any engine problems the dealer could easily say it's due to the improper oil filter you used.

I'd not take a chance with this.

·
TitanTalk.com Sticker Source
408 Posts
I would check the part numbers for each. You might be ok because my wife has a Honda CRV and it uses the same filter as my Titan. I dont know if the Civic is the same as the CRV but if it is you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Put the right filter on the truck. And on the car. Each is designed with different flow characteristics and to have certain drain characteristics when the engine is shut down. Yeah it might screw on and look like it mates up, but 5 will get you 10 that the gasket surfaces don't mate right.

For Pete's sake, don't drive it like that. This is the same reason a Buick filter "looks right" on a Honda motor. Guess what - ten miles down the road, the filter gasket craters, the engine dutifully pumps out all its oil, and within a minute you have a seized engine. Jiffy Lube buys lots of people new engines far too often because of things like this.

I was a Journeyman for a number of years, and our shop had a good rep. Although we never bought anyone an engine, whenever we had new guys in the shop we watched them CLOSELY.

I hope that sounded a lot more reasonable than, "ARE YOU CRAZY??"

·
Registered
302 Posts
If it was a 2001 or newer civic then the part numbers are the same as the Titan.For all the major oil filter companies ie.Fram,K&N,Purolater,Wix,Mobile 1 .Wife drives a 05 Civic Si and the K&N filter number (HP-1010) is the same as my Titan.

·
Super Moderator
93,260 Posts
I use K&N oil filters (love the nut) and the my 07 Titan uses the same filter as my 06 V6 Accord. HP1010

·
Registered
209 Posts
OK, not trying to be a wisearse but...

If they take the same filter than how does he know he put the Civic one on the Titan?

Maybe I'm missing something :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone...i found out because when bought the filters i saw two diffrent part #s.... and the civics is a little bigger in length than the titans.....

so i did the civics oil change first then the next morning the titan......and when i pulled it out i notice the size difference.......

but i took care of it right away...they both have the right filters now....

BTW....i did drive it to work the next day and i noticed that even after the normal warm up the oil level gauge would go up a little just like when you get in the truck and drive it when its cold....i noticed when i got on it to get on the freeway....

then i got worried...lucky for me i work only 8 miles away....and came home and changed it...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I would say you are ok as long as you didn't put the titans oil in the civic and the civics oil in the titan :upsidedow

·
Registered
222 Posts
You don't use Nissan filters?

·
Premium Member
92,287 Posts
Jared said:
You don't use Nissan filters?
No, didn't you see? He uses Honda filters... :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use OEM Honda oil filters on my Titan. Both Nissan and Honda oil filters both come from the same factory overseas. But if you use the Honda filters make sure it's the smaller one and not the big one. If you use the big oil filter it will drop your oil pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts