1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I hope you've got years of riding experience under your belt before you try to tackle a liter class super sport...

It IS a sweet bike though. I had the pleasure of seeing one at the DC bike show a few weeks ago.

There are a ton of incredible bikes coming out this year. Unfortunately, IMHO, most of them belong on the track 90% of the time, and when on the road, only in the hands of a responsible and competent rider. It makes me sick to see idiots flying down the highway, weaving in and out of traffic, pulling wheelies and stoppies on public streets, and just riding like total a$$es. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
pluckyew said:

nice... hondas one I've never had... done the kawi.. yam and zuki.... out of the 3 I like the gsxr1000 the best.... just gotta watch out for the other guys out there.... they just don't care...

the new R1 looks nice too.... but there holding off on releasing any real test bikes.... I'm starting to wonder if it can't live up to the hype....

Think I'll wait till 05 when the 1000 is revamped (hopefully)..... besides the insurance has gone nuts up here in the great white north.... everybodies rates have jumped by ~20% and thats with a clear record.....

oh well once you get it please post a review.... I'm sure you'll like it....it takes all the fun out of driving a "fast" car...

·
Registered
144 Posts
CrazyCanuk said:
the new R1 looks nice too.... but there holding off on releasing any real test bikes.... I'm starting to wonder if it can't live up to the hype....
R1's out. Been out for about 2 weeks now. There are a number of people (at least in the states) with them already.

A friend of mine, who also happens to be an INCREDIBLE rider (drags his knee at will and has even been known to drag an elbow before) just ordered one and will be taking delivery of a new R1 in May. He's getting his dealer's last one.

The new 1000RR is putting down more HP to the rear wheel from the factory than the Gixxer 1000. 156.8, if I remember correctly. The new Kawi is supposed to be the power king this year, with about 161 to the rear wheel. It's also the lightest, weight 374 dry. They're having all sorts of transmission problems and have already delayed shipping for 60 days.

You cannot beat Honda for build quality and fit and finish. Period... Incredible machines...

I can't wait to test ride an '05 Honda CBR XX next year. The rumor mill has it that it may have a V5. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Talked to my Honda Dealer today and he has a waiting list for the CBR100RR. He can't guarantee me one until mid to late June cause they're so hot right now.

I'm wondering if I should just get a used GSXR1000 or CBR600RR to hold me over until the '05's come out and then get on the list early.

Any thoughts on the 600RR or Gixer1000?

I've had a couple R1's and never really fell in love with them like I do a Honda? Never had a Suzuki.

·
Registered
382 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:
Talked to my Honda Dealer today and he has a waiting list for the CBR100RR. He can't guarantee me one until mid to late June cause they're so hot right now.

I'm wondering if I should just get a used GSXR1000 or CBR600RR to hold me over until the '05's come out and then get on the list early.

Any thoughts on the 600RR or Gixer1000?

I've had a couple R1's and never really fell in love with them like I do a Honda? Never had a Suzuki.
The 600rr is simply beautiful. Much lighter and faster then the cbrf4i. If your waiting for the 05 i think picking up a 600rr will spoil the hell out of you and 1. you might not want to give it up for the 1000rr or 2. you might endlessly search for a 1000rr before june, sense the 1000rr handles like a 600 with the power of a 1000 and is based on the same frame the 600rr is the RC211V racer. Everyone that has been on the 1000rr has reviewed that is simlply a street-legal race bike, the best riding experience they have had. If you havent goine honda yet, try, you will never go back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The 600RR is not anything remotely the RC211V. First off, the 211V is a $400,000+ motorcycle. :) Sure, a lot of lessons learned by manufactures on the GP bikes somewhat make it to their production bikes, but there are a TON of differences, even with the frames. The swingarm technology is similar, but look at the size of them, obviously VERY different. The 211V weighs in a 325 lbs WET, and puts out approximately 245 hp at the crank and over 200 to the rear wheel.

The 600RR is a great machine. It is kicking butt at the racetracks on the amateur circuits.

If you're trying to decide whether to get a 600RR to hold you over until you can get a 1000RR, that concerns me. How long have you been riding? Both machines can, and eventually will, bit a new rider in the a$$ HARD.

·
Registered
382 Posts
stevnmd said:
The 600RR is not anything remotely the RC211V. First off, the 211V is a $400,000+ motorcycle. :) Sure, a lot of lessons learned by manufactures on the GP bikes somewhat make it to their production bikes, but there are a TON of differences, even with the frames. The swingarm technology is similar, but look at the size of them, obviously VERY different. The 211V weighs in a 325 lbs WET, and puts out approximately 245 hp at the crank and over 200 to the rear wheel.

The 600RR is a great machine. It is kicking butt at the racetracks on the amateur circuits.

If you're trying to decide whether to get a 600RR to hold you over until you can get a 1000RR, that concerns me. How long have you been riding? Both machines can, and eventually will, bit a new rider in the a$$ HARD.

Sorry man this isnt a who knows what bs kinda thing. If you read what i wrote i mentioned they are both based on the same damn frame.And alot was taken from what they learned with the rc211v race bike. That is the direction honda wanted to go with the new sport bikes.Read the reviews, facts, etc before trying to discredit someone that is trying to help someone else.Instead of trying to prove others wrong, use that wasted energy on trying to help the damn man.

Let me guess you own a suzuki, i hear alot of the same stuff from suzuki owners.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Whoa dude. You can lose the attitude any day now. I am fairly knowledgable about motorcycles. ALL bike manufactures use their top GP bikes as their top R&D. So, ANY of them can say their latest and greatest has its roots in a GP bike. Yamaha says the new R1 has technology they developed while developing the M1, etc..

Yeah, I ride a Suzuki. On the track and through the mountains. It's not my daily ride / pride and joy though. My HONDA is. '03 VFR800. I ride it approximately 20k miles per year all around everywhere. Motorcycles are my passion and I ride a lot, read a lot about them, and disucuss them a lot. I work the races, do track days, will probably start racing next year, and pretty much do SOMETHING related to them 75% of my free time.

If I were to buy a new liter class bike this year, it would be a 1000RR. So, don't tell me I'm anti-Honda. Oh, and helping the man? How is regurgitating marketing propeganda about something, as you did, HELPING anyone?!

If you'd notice, I was trying to help. Helping someone is not letting someone who's not a HIGHLY experienced rider BUY a 1000RR. Heck, someone who's not an experienced rider shouldn't even be on a 600RR. Or a Gixxer. Or ANY modern technology supersport. Start out on a bike with more 90% more potential than you have as a rider and you'll never learn how to ride WELL.

·
Registered
382 Posts
stevnmd said:
Whoa dude. You can lose the attitude any day now. I am fairly knowledgable about motorcycles. ALL bike manufactures use their top GP bikes as their top R&D.

Yeah, I ride a Suzuki. On the track and through the mountains. It's not my daily ride / pride and joy though. My HONDA is. '03 VFR800. I ride it approximately 20k miles per year all around everywhere. Motorcycles are my passion and I ride a lot, read a lot about them, and disucuss them a lot. I work the races, do track days, will probably start racing next year, and pretty much do SOMETHING related to them 75% of my free time.

If I were to buy a new liter class bike this year, it would be a 1000RR. So, don't tell me I'm anti-Honda. Oh, and helping the man? How is regurgitating marketing propeganda about something, as you did, HELPING anyone?!

If you'd notice, I was trying to help. Helping someone is not letting someone who's not a HIGHLY experienced rider BUY a 1000RR. Heck, someone who's not an experienced rider shouldn't even be on a 600RR. Or a Gixxer. Or ANY modern technology supersport. Start out on a bike with more 90% more potential than you have as a rider and you'll never learn how to ride WELL.

Hey theres no attitude man. Your the one that decided to Shoot down solid facts someone used to help someone instead of just helpin the guy. Read up and you'll see almost every major change on both bikes is based on the design they use for that bike. You indicated it had nothing to do with it, not even the swingarm which is one of the major pieced of the bike used to make the new designs better. No one was trying to discredit you, im sure you are very knowledgable, but dont assume your the only one and when someone is just tryin to help a guy out.

The guy had a question in regards to the bike. I unlike you am not going to assume he isnt a experienced rider, nowhere did BigSkyLLC say he wasnt. Its not my place to hold his hand while he makes a decision. He can live his own life and im sure he is old enough to be a responsible rider. And there is no market propaganda i mean get off that.
Just trying to help the guy. In every post you have tried to discredit anything ive said, you notice i havent discredited any of your information. Seems you have anything but helping him out on your mind. Im not ciming back to this thread because all this doesnt help the guy that posted in the first place. So you go live your life this way. I'll go live mine. We aill all be fine. Have youself a nice day.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, and like I stated, EVERY manufacturer uses their GP bikes as their ultimate displays of R&D, and some of their technologies developed for those bikes get ported to their super sport offerings. However, it is subtleties which show up in the $10k machines. The GP bikes are so technologically superior it's hard to even see the similarities the manufacturers claim to exist. That's just the difference between a half million dollar, and a ten thousand dollar machine.

Anyway, sorry I mistook your post as hostility.

·
Registered
382 Posts
stevnmd said:
Yes, and like I stated, EVERY manufacturer uses their GP bikes as their ultimate displays of R&D, and some of their technologies developed for those bikes get ported to their super sport offerings. However, it is subtleties which show up in the $10k machines. The GP bikes are so technologically superior it's hard to even see the similarities the manufacturers claim to exist. That's just the difference between a half million dollar, and a ten thousand dollar machine.

Anyway, sorry I mistook your post as hostility.

Its not a problem i was just trying to help. And yes i agree there is big differences in every race bike and its production equal. But every single thing released by honda even part to part comparisons has shown that they used that bike as both redesigns and part refinement. I used it as an example for the 2 new bikes by honda. I didnt compare them in performance, track handling, or the such. Just used it as another tool for him to make his decision. Honda doesnt claim at all that the bike uses anything but frame, part, etc redesign and neither will I. Too bad im not close to MD sounds like a track race between us would be fun. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Where are you, and what tracks do you run?

Oh, and it makes sense for Honda to sell the 600RR and 1000RR's roots in the RC211V. The RC's only THE bike right now, having won the world championship so many times...

IMHO, no other bike manufactures does fit and finish like Honda. Their build quality is #1. Second would be Yamaha. Third would be Suzuki. Fourth is Kawi. So, again, even though my track bike's a '99 GSX-R600, I'm a Honda man. :)

So, I'll offer help where I may and assume www.sotsyndicate.com super off topic that BigSky and everyone else interested doesn't want to hear my "it's more the rider than the ride" speech. :)

Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi are all introducing new liter bikes this year. Honda's 1000RR, Yamaha's new R1, and Kawi's ZX10R.

From the reviews and feedback I've seen thus far, the 10R is going to be the lightest AND the most powerful.

The R1 is the next most powerful.

The 1000RR is the third most powerful.

Suzuki's GSX-R1000 (last year's top dog in power) is now low man on the totem pole.

As far as handing, the 1000RR and R1 are getting best remarks. Some give the edge to the R1, some to the 1000RR. It's rider preference. The 10R is compared to a 600 in feel. It is THAT small. I've sat on one. It's one notch above a pocket bike. Feels tiny. Super light. Some are saying it feels TOO tiny and light and is easily upset powering out of a corner. Kawi was even insistant to have Dunlop make HAND GROOVED, special compound tires for Motorcyclist Consumer Review's recent track test. That tells me that out of box handling is not going to be par with the competition. Add to that the fact that the 10R has been delayed 60 days due to continued transmission problems, and I wouldn't buy one this year...

The 1000RR is a dream to ride, from everything I've read. Electronicly controlled steering damper, great ergos, great power, great balance, etc. It's the heaviest of them, but weight is sometimes a GOOD thing for feel.

The R1 is supposedly an incredible machine to ride right now, too. It was pulling the fastest lap times down at Daytona of all four. It's definitely the one to watch this year at the races...

The Gixxer 1000... Well, it's a beast, that's for sure, but it's more than likely low man on the totem pole in handling, too. It won a ton last year, but no wonder, it had a SIGNIFICANT power advantage and could simply power out of the corners quicker.

Again, I'd buy a 1000RR. Honestly MAYBE 0.2% of riders would be able to ride one any faster than the other. The bottom line is it's the rider, not the ride, and these machines are ALL so sickenly fast and capable you have to be an expert level club racer to really benefit from one vs. another. I'm not at that level. I love Honda's engineering, build quality, and fit and finish, so the 1000RR would be in my garage if I was in the market.

As far as getting a bike to "hold you over" until a new 1000RR... What are you looking to do? What type of riding do you want to do? I'd need a LOT more information before I could even make a suggestion.

·
Registered
382 Posts
stevnmd said:
Where are you, and what tracks do you run?

Oh, and it makes sense for Honda to sell the 600RR and 1000RR's roots in the RC211V. The RC's only THE bike right now, having won the world championship so many times...

IMHO, no other bike manufactures does fit and finish like Honda. Their build quality is #1. Second would be Yamaha. Third would be Suzuki. Fourth is Kawi. So, again, even though my track bike's a '99 GSX-R600, I'm a Honda man. :)

So, I'll offer help where I may and assume that BigSky and everyone else interested doesn't want to hear my "it's more the rider than the ride" speech. :)

Honda, Yamaha, and Kawi are all introducing new liter bikes this year. Honda's 1000RR, Yamaha's new R1, and Kawi's ZX10R.

From the reviews and feedback I've seen thus far, the 10R is going to be the lightest AND the most powerful.

The R1 is the next most powerful.

The 1000RR is the third most powerful.

Suzuki's GSX-R1000 (last year's top dog in power) is now low man on the totem pole.

As far as handing, the 1000RR and R1 are getting best remarks. Some give the edge to the R1, some to the 1000RR. It's rider preference. The 10R is compared to a 600 in feel. It is THAT small. I've sat on one. It's one notch above a pocket bike. Feels tiny. Super light. Some are saying it feels TOO tiny and light and is easily upset powering out of a corner. Kawi was even insistant to have Dunlop make HAND GROOVED, special compound tires for Motorcyclist Consumer Review's recent track test. That tells me that out of box handling is not going to be par with the competition. Add to that the fact that the 10R has been delayed 60 days due to continued transmission problems, and I wouldn't buy one this year...

The 1000RR is a dream to ride, from everything I've read. Electronicly controlled steering damper, great ergos, great power, great balance, etc. It's the heaviest of them, but weight is sometimes a GOOD thing for feel.

The R1 is supposedly an incredible machine to ride right now, too. It was pulling the fastest lap times down at Daytona of all four. It's definitely the one to watch this year at the races...

The Gixxer 1000... Well, it's a beast, that's for sure, but it's more than likely low man on the totem pole in handling, too. It won a ton last year, but no wonder, it had a SIGNIFICANT power advantage and could simply power out of the corners quicker.

Again, I'd buy a 1000RR. Honestly MAYBE 0.2% of riders would be able to ride one any faster than the other. The bottom line is it's the rider, not the ride, and these machines are ALL so sickenly fast and capable you have to be an expert level club racer to really benefit from one vs. another. I'm not at that level. I love Honda's engineering, build quality, and fit and finish, so the 1000RR would be in my garage if I was in the market.

As far as getting a bike to "hold you over" until a new 1000RR... What are you looking to do? What type of riding do you want to do? I'd need a LOT more information before I could even make a suggestion.

04 Cbr 600rr. Lime rock park, ct has a track day open to bikes they have certifed. Closest track. Btw im nowhere near the level that the 1000rr can dish out.
Pic of track below.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wonder if BigSkyLLC got anything out of this thread. We motorcyclists can be very opinionated when it comes to bikes. Sounds like Stevnmd and Tikigod are both very knowledgeable and passionate about their bikes. Personally, I don't give advice about what bike a person should buy because sotsyndicate most of the time they already have their mind pretty much made up and they just want to feel better about the purchase if you recommend the same bike. Just my .02

I think it's funny that we can have such differences of opinion on bikes, but we all bought the same truck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
1000rr = boo. the only thing i like is the electronic steering dampener. the 04 r1 however all i got to say is dayum! this thing will rock ama this year!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts