Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my truck less than 2 weeks and I am having my fun doing mods. I ordered my Hopkins Smart Hitch kit from Amazon for $120 and got prime shipping. Had the order at my doorstep in 12 hours! Yeah...mind blown on that one. The kit was located in Seattle and I live south of Seattle so 1 day shipping was easy.

SMART HITCH? Camera and Sensor System

Installation:
I have to say, installation was way too easy. Too easy to the point where I was worried I installed something wrong. All the power, ground, and connections into the reversing system was done through the OEM 7 blade tow package connector. It was just plug and play, no splicing needed. Routing the wire was easy to do. I watched a YouTube video by Hopkins where they installed a kit into a Titan so I just followed along with their video. Apparently (I am sure some of you know this), there is a plugged hole behind the left passenger seat which happens to be the right size for the cord to fit. Once I routed the cord through the cab, I realized that I had extra cord left over. Hats off to Hopkins to ensure we have enough wire to run the whole thing. From start to finish, I would say I spent 45 minutes to include installing zip ties along the way.

Operation:
This unit can be set for tow hitching or reversing. You can hit a button on the screen and it will swap bars between the 2 modes. The unit also have reverse sensors and will beep when you are about to bump something. You can set the loudness of the beep. The camera operates when you reverse your truck and comes on very quick. The screen, sensors, and camera are adjustable so if you have a lifted truck, you can move the camera and sensors up and down as needed.

The screen quality is amazing! Very bright and crystal clear! The screen is 3.5" and can be mounted just about anywhere. Bottom line, this kit was worth the money. I tried to install a $10 camera and $10 screen from eBay earlier in the week. The camera itself worked great but I couldn't get the screen to work the way I want and the quality of the wire sucked. The Hopkins kit was total plug and play and very easy to install!

And here is the installation video from YouTube:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I recently installed one these on my 2011. I don't know if it was removed or never there, but there was no grommet at all in the hole in the back of the driver's side cab on my truck.

The good:
Easy install with no wire splicing.
Pretty clear picture.
Works very well at night.

The bad:
The screen flashes a bit in the daylight. I don't know if this is due to it adjusting to the light or something else.
The view is a bit too narrow for my liking.
The frame for the license plate pushes the plate far enough down that the registration sticker is partially obscured.
The screen is too small - I have to get really close to it to see the trailer I'm backing up to - I could just be getting old, though.
and that brings up the last issue - it uses a proprietary connection for the camera, so the screen can't be replaced.

Overall, though, for the price and benefits, I think it's a good deal. I have the factory navigation system in my truck, so I strongly considered getting something to run the video through that, but I'd have been in for double the price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh, just to add, the two modes are kind of silly. It's just a difference in the lines and, if you have it in "everyday mode" it'll flash the tow lineup lines briefly before swapping to the other lines when the screen turns on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed that my screen does flash every now and then when the sun is out as well. It is odd you don't have that grommet. I found it on my 2015 model. I figure that grommet has not changed since the trucks inception.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought my Titan used, so there's no telling when or why that grommet was removed, or even if it ever was on my truck. The instructional video uses a 2011 model, IIRC, so it should have been there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts