Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that while pulling my 5,000 pound trailer up hill in 4th gear, my trans temp guage spikes. Downshifting to 3rd gear drops the temp guage back in the normal range, but runs the RPM's up to 3,500-4,000 range. Has anyone else experienced this? The dealer has checked the trans and found no high heat codes have been triggered, so I wonder if the guage/sender are operating correctly.

·
Super Moderator
162,285 Posts
You can't be afraid to let the engine rev a bit. It's happy up in the range when towing. It's thirsty, but it's happy. :D

Most of the hills I pull my 6k lb trailer up and down are short in duration, so I've never had the temp climb, but I don't let it lug up the hills even then.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Going up hills, drop it down to 3rd and let it rev for awhile. My truck at 4000 rpm in third gear is at least 60 mph...I'm going to check this morning on the way to work...

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
As I posted in my other thread, I towed an 8K pound trailer up a long long grade in a pass between WY and SD. It went from 3K feet to almost 10K feet, was full of switchbacks and hairpin turns and I had to stop 3 times to let the tranny temp gauge get back to a normal range. I had it in 4th and then 3rd and saw the same thing you did. Someone mentioned that I should have gone to 2nd, but I did not think of that at the time. It might make a difference. The fastest I could get the truck was 40 in 3rd/4th on that slope.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How high did it spike ? I pulled ~7000 # trailer through the mountains going 55-60 in forth gear (RPM's just over 2K) for several hours in 100 degree outside temp. Some serious grades. Seems to run well in this range. Tranny temps just get a hair over mid-point on the guage, but shifting down to 3'rd does cool it down. Though if the weather is hot, then the motor temps will rise. It begins to become a trade-off between engine / trans temp and mileage. The tranny cooler is up front behind the grill. Make sure it's not full of bugs or doesn't have any obstructions (light bar?). Some have reported twisted/ crimpted hoses from the tranny to the cooler but I thinik most of those issues were with 04/05 models.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Mine went to the line below the top when I decided to park it and let it cool down. That was after downshifting to 3rd and watching it drop for a while. It was probably in the 80's at the bottom of the hill but as we climbed into the clouds the temperature dropped to the high 30's. I should have dropped it into 2nd but at the time didn't even think of it. I think I figured that was a bad idea so it never occurred to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your comments RDJ. The guage spikes right up to the "H" on the guage which is a bit concerning. However, the dealer has told me that no "hot trans codes" wre triggered. Since my truck is an '04, I'll double check the hoses to the cooler.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You have to remember, that there is that lower line just below the 'H' which is considered the "Normal" range. Anything within that is acceptable, I know it may look high, but I was towing once and it heated up but only to that point.

·
Super Moderator
37,334 Posts
My TT is about 8,000 lbs and I tow every where in 4th. I have only seen the gauge move a little 1 time. I do have a lead foot but try to keep it between 65-70 <-- could be the reason I have not see a problem because the fluid is pumping fast enough to keep the tyranny cool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the tow/haul button make a difference in the temperatures and performance or does that just change the shift pattern? I plan on going hunting in Colorado and will be pulling my three horse slant trailer fully loaded. This will be the first real test for my (new to me) 2005 titan. I am concerned about how well it will do in the mountains. Does the tow/haul button still let me tow in overdrive? or do I have to drop it down to keep from smoking the trans?

Thanks for the help,
Mark Chaney
Eastland, Texas

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I recomend towing with the Tow mode on, but it does NOT keep the trans out of 5th gear(OD)
I would tow in 4th and on grades and hills I'd downshift to 3rd(even 2nd if it gets crazy steep) before the trans does it on its own. I recomend this to anybody towing any heavy loads, works well with all trucks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just installed Stillen's Trans cooler and it make a big differance during normal driving. I haven't towed with it yet, I just wanted a little extra insurance with the 35's

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am wondering something similar as I have a 2005 Titan XE Crew which has the same engine as the other models yet the tow rating for mine is 6500 pounds versus 9000 for the other models, I suppose this is because of the lack of transmission cooler as all else appears to be the same?!

Mine didnt have the tow package when I bought it but I had a class 4 hitch, trailer brakes & any other necessary hooks ups put in after I bought it. I haven't done anything yet about a transmission cooler and I want to purchase a 7500 Pound (dry weight) trailer in the near future.

Any info about why the difference in tow ratings between the Titan models would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The difference is the Differential gear ratio.
Big Tow has 3.36:1
Non Big Tow 2.94:1
The King Cab has higher tow capacity than the Crew Cab.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The good new for all non-tow package Titan owners is that ALL Titans have the same aux trans cooler installed, not just the one in the radiator.
The real big difference between Titans is the rear gear...as posted above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Guys,

So it looks like I am stuck to towing something less than 6500 Pounds in my 2005 Titan Crew, I had to go this way as I need the 6th seat in the front and this was the only model I could get it in at the time.

Is there anything I can do to get the rear gear changed to bring me back to a 9000'ish lb towing capacity? I am mechanically challenged so I am unaware of the effort to change a rear gear, if it is possible at all in the Titan.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think I read in the manual that it will cool faster if you pull over and park it in neutral. I guess the fluid circulates through the cooler?

I know my 06 non BT has a tranny cooler. I am not sure if this was the case in 05. It's easy to see though, just follow the lines from the tranny and see if they go to a little radiator up front.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Is there anything I can do to get the rear gear changed to bring me back to a 9000'ish lb towing capacity? I am mechanically challenged so I am unaware of the effort to change a rear gear, if it is possible at all in the Titan.
Even if you changed the whole rear end, the trucks computer is calibrated for the non-tow gears...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well now, here is what I could consider in light of this XE towing capacity handicap I have...

I am going to have another look at purchasing a 2008 V-Nose R-Vision Trail-Lite 31' foot 5th wheel. There is also a similar R-Vision Max-Lite rolling out.

6500 Pound ultra-lite, all aluminum. 1000 Pounds or so on the hitch.

This all new breed of V-Nose 5th wheels are rolling out now designed specifically for trucks like the short box titan. With the corners clipped off the front there is no concern about hitting the cab or having to buy expensive special hitches. I also think it creates neat appearance inside the Master Bedroom with rounded corners on the headboard wall. There is no wasted space inside or out.

My XE Crew should handle this one and at $29,500 loaded (negotiated dealer price) I think its a very decent deal and not a bad solution to my weight problem, albeit I would be at the limit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts