·
Registered
1,019 Posts
2004 KC 4X4 with extended stock shackles 2 inches and the helper springs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
I have a friend who has an XE 4x and the first day he got his truck he 1) pulled the sway bar off, 2) cut the stock muffler off and welded in a flow master and 3) pulled the over load leaf. He then put a set of my spacers on. Drove it for a couple weeks then drove to mexico for the baja 100 and chased for a few of his friends all the way to la paz. Put 300 or so, according to him, dirt-road miles on his truck with no ill-effects at all. It rides a bit better than stock (but I have only riden in his truck with an empty bed).
Ive heard there is a difference between some of the springs, but the ride height is the same, just one set is more progressive. Makes sence if the load rating is substantially higher with some packages. But i do not have the hard facts.
Pulling the overload will not have much effect until the suspension get loaded, it will lower the truck by its own thickness initially (about 3/4") but the springs will be much less progerssive and probably bottom-out with just a small to medium load in the bed.
Removing the second leaf will soften the pack substantially at ride height, but should lower the truck alot. The best thing about pulling leaves is that you can always put them back. Ok, some one start pulling leaves and take notes for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
PrerunnerGreg said:
I have a friend who has an XE 4x and the first day he got his truck he 1) pulled the sway bar off, 2) cut the stock muffler off and welded in a flow master and 3) pulled the over load leaf. He then put a set of my spacers on. Drove it for a couple weeks then drove to mexico for the baja 100 and chased for a few of his friends all the way to la paz. Put 300 or so, according to him, dirt-road miles on his truck with no ill-effects at all. It rides a bit better than stock (but I have only riden in his truck with an empty bed).
Ive heard there is a difference between some of the springs, but the ride height is the same, just one set is more progressive. Makes sence if the load rating is substantially higher with some packages. But i do not have the hard facts.
Pulling the overload will not have much effect until the suspension get loaded, it will lower the truck by its own thickness initially (about 3/4") but the springs will be much less progerssive and probably bottom-out with just a small to medium load in the bed.
Removing the second leaf will soften the pack substantially at ride height, but should lower the truck alot. The best thing about pulling leaves is that you can always put them back. Ok, some one start pulling leaves and take notes for the rest of us.
Questions here.
If I remove the overload leaf and re-install it at the top of the entire spring set, will this 1) help mildly de-arch the entire spring set for more lowering? 2) will I continue to have the overload capacity for towing?

I plan to lower the back by 2 inches max, do you think this can be accomplished by the above approach?

Thanks in advance.:cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
sry to bring this back from the dead....but i searched instead of creating a new thread

i too do not wish to use a mini front lift to level the truck

i see that Chassis Tech still makes the 2" drop shackle for the rear

anyone try these???? good price and it looks like it will do exactly what i'm looking for ..and their local ....soo

or is their another way people have gone about this with better results or easier??

thx guys

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
sry to bring this back from the dead....but i searched instead of creating a new thread

i too do not wish to use a mini front lift to level the truck

i see that Chassis Tech still makes the 2" drop shackle for the rear

anyone try these???? good price and it looks like it will do exactly what i'm looking for ..and their local ....soo

or is their another way people have gone about this with better results or easier??

thx guys
shackles alone will not get you completely level. they will only drop it about an inch at the most. i just removed a leaf from the leaf pack(3rd leaf, the one above the overload leaf) and its level with the front maybe a little bit lower

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
How does it ride compared to stock?
rides fine. for me it rides better than stock. to me it rode really stiff at stock height

·
Registered
20 Posts
have you had to tow anything or had like 500lbs in the bed

mine is a 06 crew cab i do have 4x4 and the tow package

i agree it feels stiff

AIM is local so i stopped by thinkin they would have them in stock...the guy told me bout the shackles....i looked he was deff right

he said some shop in phx could "re arc" the leafs and that would be my best bet

i got ahold of the shop they said bout 300bux for the labor....sounds pricey not to be able to go back without buying new leafs

i use the truck for work...I'm a HVAC contractor....i pull a trailer sometimes...nothing to heavy......but i do have to put a package unit or condesor in the back of the truck like at least once a week for a install....i like the idea of just having to a pull one leaf.....how is it gonna affect the ride quality..more important the truck duty??

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
have you had to tow anything or had like 500lbs in the bed

mine is a 06 crew cab i do have 4x4 and the tow package

i agree it feels stiff

AIM is local so i stopped by thinkin they would have them in stock...the guy told me bout the shackles....i looked he was deff right

he said some shop in phx could "re arc" the leafs and that would be my best bet

i got ahold of the shop they said bout 300bux for the labor....sounds pricey not to be able to go back without buying new leafs

i use the truck for work...I'm a HVAC contractor....i pull a trailer sometimes...nothing to heavy......but i do have to put a package unit or condesor in the back of the truck like at least once a week for a install....i like the idea of just having to a pull one leaf.....how is it gonna affect the ride quality..more important the truck duty??
it tows fine. i tow a 12' cargo trailor and ive had it full of furniture and other crap and had stuff in the bed from helping my brother move and it was about half an inch above the bump stop but that was before i cut them

·
Registered
20 Posts
sweet

looks like i'm gonna be removing a leaf when i get a chance

just to be sure....its the 2nd one from the bottom....on top the of the overload spring.......or 3rd from the top

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
sweet

looks like i'm gonna be removing a leaf when i get a chance

just to be sure....its the 2nd one from the bottom....on top the of the overload spring.......or 3rd from the top
yep thats it. some people take out the overload leaf and it gives you about the same amount of drop but ive heard it makes you bottom out easier so i just pulled the one above it

·
Premium Member
15,750 Posts
unless you have done a flip kit. the axle is on under the spring pack. If you add a spacer it will make the rear end taller.

·
Registered
20 Posts
unless you have done a flip kit. the axle is on under the spring pack. If you add a spacer it will make the rear end taller.
bone stock suspension

their is a spacer bracket between the axel and leaf pack at least a inch or so

i decided on raising the front end and getting some meaty tires and rims

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put the nissan drop schackle on my 2006 nissan titan se 4x2.Now it shakes while driving nissan said it was a cracked wheel so i put 22 inch wheels on it. still doing it, now they are saying because of the drop shackles I have to do the shocks for a better ride wtf.:huh:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I put the nissan drop schackle on my 2006 nissan titan se 4x2.Now it shakes while driving nissan said it was a cracked wheel so i put 22 inch wheels on it. still doing it, now they are saying because of the drop shackles I have to do the shocks for a better ride wtf.:huh:
did you get hub rings with your wheels? without them they will not be centered on the hub and shake pretty bad

21 - 36 of 36 Posts