Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying an '07 Titan SE, which the owner claims has the towing package. But what is there on the truck (a label, for example) or in the VIN that I can confirm this with. The truck does have a Tow Mode button, and appears to have a transmission cooler. It has an aftermarket hitch receiver (U-Haul) and a dual 4-pin/7-pin connector.

The seller also showed me a box under the hood that he claimed was a brake controller. However, all the Titan lit I've been able to find indicates that the brake controller has to be added by the owner and is not a Nissan product. Which/who is right?

The seller claimed that using the Tow Mode added 500# to the towing capacity, total 9,900#. I can't find any lit about that either.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
239 Posts
The other thing to look for are the big mirrors that extend out and one way to truly tell in the transmission temp gauge with the cluster. The gears are the biggest difference with the towing capacity, the tow package has lower gears.:redblob":read: A hitch is not the tow package, it is usually a nissan hitch not a uhaul one.

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
All titans have the tow mode switch and the cooler. If it has a U-haul hitch I am willing to bet it does not have the tow package. The big mirrors and the transmission temp gauage are the main things like said above.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I'm considering buying an '07 Titan SE, which the owner claims has the towing package. But what is there on the truck (a label, for example) or in the VIN that I can confirm this with. The truck does have a Tow Mode button, and appears to have a transmission cooler. It has an aftermarket hitch receiver (U-Haul) and a dual 4-pin/7-pin connector.
All Titans have a Tow Mode button and a transmission cooler regardless of tow package or not.

The seller also showed me a box under the hood that he claimed was a brake controller. However, all the Titan lit I've been able to find indicates that the brake controller has to be added by the owner and is not a Nissan product. Which/who is right?
The brake controller plugs in under the dash using a pigtail, it doesn't go under the hood as you have to have a way to manually activate and adjust it.

The seller claimed that using the Tow Mode added 500# to the towing capacity, total 9,900#. I can't find any lit about that either.
The seller is incorrect and it really sounds like he's making things up as he goes as nothing he's said has any truth behind it.

If it had the tow package it would have the following:

Larger battery
Factory (Nissan) hitch and 7-pin connector
Big Tow mirrors (Extending mirrors with an adjustable convex mirror on the bottom)
Trans temp gauge
Lower gears.

As was said above, the big part of the tow package are the gears however if it has the Off-Road package (More than just 4WD) then that will also provide the lower gears.

The easiest way to determine if it has the tow package is to look at the dash. No trans temp gauge = no tow package.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm finding that a lot of sellers claim towing packages when all they really have is a hitch receiver.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
XE Does Not Have Extendable Tow Mirrors, only SE and LE. XE started to have a Tow Package offered in 06. The Trans Temp Gauge in the cluster is the easiest way to know for sure, not an easy or common retrofit if it didn't have one.

Everything in your post looks like a U Haul Conversion, and they did not even know about the OEM Harness/Plug under the dash. No reason to replace the OEM Hitch with a U Haul unit, etc....I'd look elsewhere for a truck like you really want. A Titan of course!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The seller is BS'ing you. Or he's a complete idiot and ignorant of the packages on this truck. Probably a mixture of both.

I'd run away from a truck owned by a [email protected] such as this.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
But what is there on the truck (a label, for example) or in the VIN that I can confirm this with.
Crawl under the truck and look at the differential case. Should still be a sticker on there with the gear ratio. 1:357 is the lower 'tow' gear you want for heavier towing.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Crawl under the truck and look at the differential case. Should still be a sticker on there with the gear ratio. 1:357 is the lower 'tow' gear you want for heavier towing.
That would be a ratio of 1 to 357. :teethmast I think you meant 3.357. The non-OR/non-BT ratio is 2.937.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Here's my rear end sticker:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
It still may be a good truck, it all depends what your use will be. If you have no plans of towing heavy trailers you would do good with a truck with an added hitch & taller gears. If you plan on towing heavy & often look for truck with the factory towing package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts