Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a small trailer (probably 4x8' but maybe larger). Having never pulled one before, I was wondering how difficult it is to backup and turn to get the trailer where you want it. I would imagine pulling it forward isn't too difficult. Any comments?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Best towing tip period is to put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel.

I you want to go left..move your hand left.

Go Right...move your hand right.

This takes out that 'reverse effect'.

Another thing to do is make sure you 'visualize' where you want to put the trailer before backing and start in a straight line with the trailer.

Chris

·
Registered
473 Posts
Having never towed the best thing to do is practice. After you purchase the trailer go to a church on Saturday. The lot should be big and open.

Start by trying to back all the way from one side to the other. Don't worry you will never do it on the first try. After you get pissed by that, try backing into a parking space. Use curbs as fake cars.

All of a sudden it will click and you can now back up as far as you want. Each person is different, just remember slow = control and small long turns are best!

I am able to backup 4'X4' trailers with my truck. The smaller the trailer, the harder to back up!!! I would rather backup my 23' boat trailer!

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
Doghouse said:
Having never towed the best thing to do is practice. After you purchase the trailer go to a church on Saturday. The lot should be big and open. .

I read that too fast. I thought it said Sunday and I almost fell off my chair laughing.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Albert1234,

You didn't say what kind of trailer you would be pulling. The 4x8 size makes me think that it is a utility trailer. I have a 4X8 utility trailer that I paid $700 for new and love it. The tongue weight is only about 100 lbs. so I can lift it myself when it is empty to position it exactly where I want it. The other things I like about a trailer this size is that your Titan, with trailer attached, will fit perfectly in two parking spaces when you pull straight through and it will fit in a standard size garage which allows you to load stuff early and it be protected from the weather and thieves.

The best advice on backing up that hasn't been stated so far is to get a utility trailer with a tailgate ramp. These are extremely handy and you can see which direction the trailer is turning while you are backing up. If you can't see your trailer while backing up it is a very difficult task.

You also mentioned going foward. That's a better question than it might seem. Pulling a 4X8 trailer is easy because its short length will allow it to "track" right behind your Titan. You will not have to worry about swinging wide to make turns. I sometimes forget I am pulling a trailer! The short trailer length also keeps the weight down which makes braking easier and acceleration fast. :teethmast

One last tip: Check to see if you state offers a permenant non-expiring license plate for trailers. It is cheaper in the long run (about $100 ) and you don't have to constantly keep up with getting the registration renewed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts