Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

About 6 months ago someone bumped my tailgate and gave me a nasty deep scratch.

I took my tailgate to a local shop and they resprayed half of it.

It looks decent but is not nearly as shiny/reflective as the other side of the tail gate.

I have 0 experience wet sanding or using a orbital buffer but I do have one.

I'm not too worried about messing it up honestly as they only charged me $125 to fix it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Pics to follow.

Good side

Bad side

·
Premium Member
77,858 Posts
How long ago was it at the shop? If they warranty their work, take it back and have them wet sand, re-polish, and re clear coat it. That's not very professional looking IMO

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It was at least 6 months ago. Looked exactly like that when I picked it up. He told me I could wetsand/polish to make it shine. There's really no imperfections other than it just isn't as shiny..

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You should have known something wasn't right, when he told you that YOU could wet-sand it. Since you noticed it then and they didn't do anything and you didn't press the issue, it's basically up to you. You could google "how to wet sand" or fix dull paint. Or live with it. Another option is to bedline the whole tailgate.

Reactions: OneQuick06

·
Registered
296 Posts
Drive your Titan to another body shop talk to them maybe they can wet sand and maybe its ruined, but offer them like 30-50 bucks and tell them you'll go there next time you need something painted.

You' ll need sand paper ,buffer,buffer pads, compound, polish,.. The orbital won't cut it. Cost you more to do it yourself.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I picked up a $10 bottle of meguiars polish and a hand applicator. 20 mins later and you cant even tell it was repainted :)

Reactions: Blevinger

·
Premium Member
77,858 Posts
It was at least 6 months ago. Looked exactly like that when I picked it up. He told me I could wetsand/polish to make it shine. There's really no imperfections other than it just isn't as shiny..
Never go there again. Good grief. He told you to make it shine? Umm, no. You make him make it shine. You paid him to do it. He needs to finish the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts