Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last summer about towing issues and the transmission overheating and blowing the cooler lines. Had issues again coming home hitting a head wind and had to drop her into 3rd and rev around 3000 rpm for over a hour to make it home. She appears to have issues sticking into 4th while towing (around 6800 fully loaded and that might be a few hundred pounds heavy)

How do i get her to stick into 4th so my rpm's are around 22-2400 without having to hit the 3000+ mark which I know I've read is okay but i really don't think it is. Any suggestions to keep that tranny cooler this summer?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Lock out 5th, Put a Tru-cool 4588 on, do the Radiator bypass & keep the RPM'S close to 3k. The low RPM'S, heavy load & high drag are heating up the tranny.

Reactions: schmidtmike76

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it has 111,000 miles on it now 2WD with 3.37 gears. Ive read it here before that 3000 RPM is nothing but it still can't be good for a hour or more like that. 180000K and it drives like it has 70,000! Thanks you guys Im going to do that by pass on the cooler. I was thinking of selling it and had a offer. but after we talked how do I replace a LE with dvd player leather moon roof for 10,000...you can't.

Thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Had my last 05 sitting at 5500rpms for a solid 5 minutes atleast when it was stuck in sand. It was moving a few inches at a time, but moving. Never skipped a beat. 3000rpms is childs play to the vk56.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys have this figured out. If I wanted some extra HP and honestly after 180000KM she aint want she used to be. What would be the best bang for the buck to add some extra HP. She doesn't smoke tick knock or miss a beat whats so ever its me that wants some extra oomph. Exhaust its still stock, headers?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
you guys have this figured out. If I wanted some extra HP and honestly after 180000KM she aint want she used to be. What would be the best bang for the buck to add some extra HP. She doesn't smoke tick knock or miss a beat whats so ever its me that wants some extra oomph. Exhaust its still stock, headers?
@ 180000KM maybe I`d do a leak down test and compression test before turning up the heat.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
@ 180000KM maybe I`d do a leak down test and compression test before turning up the heat.

180000 km is fu<k all compared to some out there. Look at TitanSS or wikedvk with all the track passed an beating on those truck. I know Mike has done some work now I just don't know what it was. Nick (TitanSS) just ran 13.22 with stock cams a few weeks ago he has over 200000 MILES an countless hard miles.
Not saying the leak down an compression tests would be good to know where your at. I'm just saying these engines are pretty damn solid.
Mind you we don't know the history of the maintenance on the truck.
Adding headers, exhaust an a tune will just make it run better then stock anyways.

Reactions: 1 person

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree with adding the Tru-cool, made a pretty big difference on my truck. If you add any performance mods just make sure they don't take away from the low end power. 40+hp at 5k rpm won't help you if you tow a lot.

Our trucks need a gear between 3rd and 4th. I tow about once a month 7.5-9k lbs 500mi round trip and mostly flat hwy. If there's a head wind I have a tough time holding 4th too. In that case I'll drop it in 3rd and cruise at 62-63mph at 3500rpm.

I'll do about 10-15min in 3rd and 10-15 in 4th. That's necessary for me to keep the tranny temp from moving. If I can keep it close to 70mph then 4th works usually, but once it starts lugging down to lower 60's on an incline I'll click 3rd before the tranny has a chance to get warm.

Like everyone said 3k rpm is no problem whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I agree with adding the Tru-cool, made a pretty big difference on my truck. If you add any performance mods just make sure they don't take away from the low end power. 40+hp at 5k rpm won't help you if you tow a lot.

Our trucks need a gear between 3rd and 4th. I tow about once a month 7.5-9k lbs 500mi round trip and mostly flat hwy. If there's a head wind I have a tough time holding 4th too. In that case I'll drop it in 3rd and cruise at 62-63mph at 3500rpm.

I'll do about 10-15min in 3rd and 10-15 in 4th. That's necessary for me to keep the tranny temp from moving. If I can keep it close to 70mph then 4th works usually, but once it starts lugging down to lower 60's on an incline I'll click 3rd before the tranny has a chance to get warm.

Your not just adding 40-50 HP when putting header an exhaust on. You adding gobs of low end torque also, you make it sound like you only benefit is in the top end. Far from true

·
Registered
174 Posts
I didn't mean it to sound that way. I may have worded it wrong, more of a figure of speech.

Just don't take any low end away for towing. Engine needs to stay efficient at 2-2200 rpm to hold 4th at hwy speeds at 65mph.

Reactions: GalaxyPro4X11

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I didn't mean it to sound that way. I may have worded it wrong, more of a figure of speech.

Just don't take any low end away for towing. Engine needs to stay efficient at 2-2200 rpm to hold 4th at hwy speeds at 65mph.

Agreed stay away from banks catback for sure.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
yes, this right there.

I agree, these are stout engines. a lot of people ask what to do or what to go with, if your starting with a good solid engine than your gtg.

I`ve heard numerous stories about adding parts, then issues arise...

I`m sure we can agree on that as well.:wink:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

maybe then i need to chill out and this is normal for us towing. I will add that extra cooler on it though. Im the same about towing in 3rd and 4th gear for some reason it just doesn't like to find a gear it likes to tow with.

The last owner took really good care of this truck and I would bet that truck never ever saw 5000 RPM from him...only me once or twice. Family friend so I know it was well taken care of.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thing is with our trucks, since 4th gear is 1:1 we're now limited to the 2.94 or 3.36 axle, with no underdrive from the tranny.

The non big tow truck is at a disadvantage compared to GM'S 3.08 "highway" axle. (at 1:1 and above)

I hope to be in the market for a new truck this year and part of my research involves looking at trans ratios in trucks haha. I want to be able to tow at a comfortable rpm.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Pale Rider

I`ve heard numerous stories about adding parts, then issues arise...

Lmao yea from something as simple as changing Over to synthetic

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys have the answers. TIA

The reason I was asking about performance upgrades is when she hits about 3000 rpm mark she almost gulps for air and I've noticed when cruising up hill 40mph she's like looking for air feels as though the rpm is jumping by 50. Fuel filter and air filter were recently changed? There's a dead spot it feels like there is nothing. Regular air filter FYI.

·
Registered
897 Posts
180000 km is fu<k all compared to some out there. Look at TitanSS or wikedvk with all the track passed an beating on those truck. I know Mike has done some work now I just don't know what it was. Nick (TitanSS) just ran 13.22 with stock cams a few weeks ago he has over 200000 MILES an countless hard miles.
Not saying the leak down an compression tests would be good to know where your at. I'm just saying these engines are pretty damn solid.
Adding headers, exhaust an a tune will just make it run better then stock anyways.
I agree. I have over 80,000 and she is just getting broke in. Runs better than new. I have had several Nissans go well over 160,000. Make sure you are running all synthetics.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts