Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some bad gas and need to get it out.

How do I get the siphon hose into the tank? The hose bumps into something about two feet into the filler neck, before it's deep enough to draw the fuel out.

Does the Titan have a drain plug in the fuel tank?

Mark
2004 Titan LE Crew

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Try a match!!! :rofl:

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Really, you'll have to pull the tank, if you want it out!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
What type of bad gas?? Seriously, you may get by w/out draining at all. Water in it, old gas?? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does it have water in it or is it just old fuel? If water add Heat, if old fuel add an octane boost. In both cases you could then fill with fresh fuel. After you run it out change your fuel filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Water I think. My Titan ran great until yesterday. Filled up and about 5 miles later started sputtering and would cut out when I stepped on the gas. Now today it won't start. The station I filled up at is closed with all pumps blocked. They say the gas will be tested on Monday to determine "if" there is a problem. I know now the answer.

So how can I get a siphon hose into the tank to get the bad stuff out? Seems like there is some kind of blocker that prevents my hose from going down into the fuel.

Thanks for help everyone.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Just add some "drygas" and it will collect the water and keep it on the surface of the fuel. It will eventually evaporate then.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think the majority of new vehicals have something in them to keep people from siphing your gas out your tank.Ony thing I could think of doing is putting some beasting gascleaner/octane booster or something and fill up with 91 or 93 octane or somethin to top is off with the cleaner

·
Registered
392 Posts
What I would do is go to the local Walmart and buy some Isopryl Alcohol. Get the stuff that is at least 70% isopryl-anything less is not worth it. The alcohol will mix with the water and turn it into a burnable substance. Two quarts should be plenty for 20 gals or so...add/deduct accordingly. Take loose the line as it goes into the filter housing, and turn the key on and let it pump out some into a container to dispose of. You could also take loose the fuel high pressure line up at the engine, turn the key on to empty that part of the line since it is all the way to the injectors, this will probably be necessary. I would suggest a new filter also. Keep your receipts as if this is their fault, they should reimburse you.

Or, since this is their known problem, have it towed, repaired, and take them receipts for reimbursement.
EDIT: That is if you can prove you got their bad gas with a receipt

·
Registered
197 Posts
Go buy Stabil. One bottle handles 20 gallons, I have a neighbor with a boat that had a full tank that was old and it wouldn't start. One bottle of Stabil, and it started right up. Its cheap Autozone or any autoparts suppier has it, you might need 2 bottles. I use it in my bike when I dont ride it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
the thing that is in your way when you try to siphon, is there for a reason... not to keep people from stealing gas but its kind of like a trap roof... as there is less and less gas it goes further down keeping your gas from sloshing everywhere and trying to keep the most of it in a liquid state not letting it have room to turn to fumes and evaporating... well thats what ive heard anyways lol

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Complain to the station manager.
He/she should be familiar with this problem, from the sound of things.
Make them pay the bill.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
walleeme said:
Complain to the station manager.
He/she should be familiar with this problem, from the sound of things.
Make them pay the bill.
walleeme's got the right idea.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I complained to the station owner. He doesn't even admit that there is a problem with the gas! Just closed the station for precaution. Gas will be tested Monday. Ha! I may have trouble getting him to pay, I think. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that station. Too bad, nice station, new tanks, clean otherwise. Not the rat hole type of place that I would expect to get bad gas at.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It could be just coincidence that it happened, 5 miles after you filled up.
Fuelpump, fuel filter? could be a number of other things. Good luck and keep us posted. I hope it's the gas tho.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Titan4mde said:
What I would do is go to the local Walmart and buy some Isopryl Alcohol. Get the stuff that is at least 70% isopryl-anything less is not worth it. The alcohol will mix with the water and turn it into a burnable substance. Two quarts should be plenty for 20 gals or so...add/deduct accordingly. Take loose the line as it goes into the filter housing, and turn the key on and let it pump out some into a container to dispose of. You could also take loose the fuel high pressure line up at the engine, turn the key on to empty that part of the line since it is all the way to the injectors, this will probably be necessary. I would suggest a new filter also.
I agree with T4M, use the isopryl alchohol, just poor it in and drive, it will not harm anything. I used the IA when i got bad gas in my 90 Chevy, like you i drove about 3 miles then it started acting up, enough time for the water to separate and drop to the bottom of the tank where the pickup is located. I had a loss of power, buckin and jerking. To change the fuel filter (sock) you will have to drop the tank, it attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump, the titan does NOT have a external fuel filter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
titanss said:
To change the fuel filter (sock) you will have to drop the tank, it attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump, the titan does NOT have a external fuel filter.
Ooooooooooh, forgot about that! If it shut off on him, he may have to unhook the fuel line and turn the key to pump out the bad before he can get it restarted. I've used this trick more than once. It's cheap and it works with no bad side effects to equipment.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Can't you just turn the truck over and dump it out? Make sure you have a big enough catch pan, though.... As I said before, just put some "DRYGAS" in there, let it sit a bit, and crank it. Used to work on my older vans and Hondas....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The 70% Iso Alc is a terrible idea, IMO, don't do it.
The other 30% of that stuff is water, isn't that what you are trying to get rid of?
These guys agree with me, but I don't know about their credibility.
cartalk

At the very least, get the 90% stuff from CVS (it is used for cleaning skin before shots), but you really need to get the 100% from an auto store. (Dry Gas is one product name)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts