Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says..... My console top is shot from resting my arm on it for years now while I drive. So, I'm looking at a replacement cover for it and I'll have to remove the original. To do this, I think it would be a lot easier if I could remove the lid.

How is this done? Mine is a 2008 and it looks like this (minus the leather, and thanks to whoever I borrowed this pic from):

I see screws on the underside that appear to remove the padded top from the plate. But I want to remove the hinged part (plate and top padding).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Anybody?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same problem, would like to see an answer as well.
It's a bit frustrating, isn't it? I see no obvious screws anywhere for removing this. The local Nissan dealer told me that they don't even sell the plate/top combo; they could only sell me the entire middle seat unit for $860.00.

I told them to have a nice day.

:smile:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Unfortunately I have a different center console with visible hinge screws. You could try removing the inner liner to see if it's covering the hinges? On mine it's just a big container inside and there are a few rubber tabs that hide screws plus one or two screws in the bottom.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I have a different center console with visible hinge screws. You could try removing the inner liner to see if it's covering the hinges? On mine it's just a big container inside and there are a few rubber tabs that hide screws plus one or two screws in the bottom.
Thanks. Sometime soon I'll empty the console out and see what I can do.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Reactions: LaxDfns15

·
Registered
180 Posts
find your local upholstery shop? I'm sure they could figure it out in like 2 minutes. $860 for a small middle seat? jeesh.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
find your local upholstery shop? I'm sure they could figure it out in like 2 minutes. $860 for a small middle seat? jeesh.
I found an aftermarket cover that's supposed to fit it exactly, so I can re-cover it myself.

I just don't want to try it while it's still attached.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Tonight I removed every screw from the underside of the tray, plus took the latch off.

It wouldn't budge.

I also called two dealerships today and they have no idea.

:(

·
Registered
39 Posts
I might just bite the bullet and take it to an upholstery shop. Can't be that bad to get just the lid recovered.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have an 06. I just removed the top part. Removed the old liner, there's a foam pad on the bottom, you will reuse it. Use some spray adhesive to hold the corners from the bottom part of the plastic lid. Don't spray the actual foam pad. Something like covering a book when we were in elementary school. I change it up every year just to change the look inside. I've used cloth and vinyl. Even an old sweater just cause i liked the way it felt and looked.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Once you have covered the top just screw it back on the plastic piece that has the hinges on it.
I removed all of the screws in that piece last night, the plate that the padded top sits on, and the top wouldn't budge.

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: To put it another way, how do I separate the top padded part from the plate that opens and closes on hinges?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Pry it open. just make sure all screws are out. You might break a tab or two, like i did, but it will still hold with the screws when you marry the two pieces together.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pry it open. just make sure all screws are out. You might break a tab or two, like i did, but it will still hold with the screws when you marry the two pieces together.
Thanks a ton! I've been researching this for two days now.

Where do you get your vinyl? I've considered a custom-fitted one from eBay, but I might just custom fit my own.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I found a piece at walmart. They sell fabrics with team logos if your into that. Any place that sells fabric will have vinyl.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found a piece at walmart. They sell fabrics with team logos if your into that. Any place that sells fabric will have vinyl.
Thanks again. I'll check that out.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, I've found the vinyl I want to use. Is there any stitching or sewing involved?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No sewing. Just use the spray adhesive to hold it in place. Use the spray only on the bottom part of the tray running around the edge. About an inch. It's easier if you lay the vinyl/cloth on a flat surface then place the lid on top of it and begin stretching it. Not too much though just enough to get it tight enough. Don't bulge the corners of the lid cut left over material with razor blade. That's where the spray comes in handy since it holds everything together. Only spray the bottom edge of the tray not the foam part. This makes removing later easier when you want to switch it out it with something else.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts