Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Titan 4x4 Crew Cab LE truck. I want to buy a travel trailer (which is why I bought the truck). The users manual indicates that I can pull up to 9200 lbs. But when I talked to a RV retailer, they asked me whether my truck has the 2.94 or 3.36 axle ratio. They said if I had the 3.36 I could pull that weight, but if I had the 2.94, I could only pull about 6800 lbs. Big difference! It appears that my truck has the towing package with the Class IV hitch, 7-Pin Wiring Harness Plug, and Chrome Power Heated Extending Tow Mirrors w/Memory. How can I be sure that I have the 3.36 axle ratio.

My local Nissan dealership couldn't tell me unless they put it up on the lift and I have to make an appointment to do that and probably pay a repair shop fee.

Is there any way to tell by reviewing my VIN or inspecting any other part of my truck?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
George

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I have a 2004 Titan 4x4 Crew Cab LE truck. I want to buy a travel trailer (which is why I bought the truck). The users manual indicates that I can pull up to 9200 lbs. But when I talked to a RV retailer, they asked me whether my truck has the 2.94 or 3.36 axle ratio. They said if I had the 3.36 I could pull that weight, but if I had the 2.94, I could only pull about 6800 lbs. Big difference! It appears that my truck has the towing package with the Class IV hitch, 7-Pin Wiring Harness Plug, and Chrome Power Heated Extending Tow Mirrors w/Memory. How can I be sure that I have the 3.36 axle ratio.

My local Nissan dealership couldn't tell me unless they put it up on the lift and I have to make an appointment to do that and probably pay a repair shop fee.

Is there any way to tell by reviewing my VIN or inspecting any other part of my truck?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
George
Big Tow Option is 3.36
Non Big Tow is 2.93

·
Super Moderator
160,566 Posts
But he's 4x4, so if the truck has the Off Road Package it still has the lower gears.

·
Registered
69 Posts
one day when i was crawling around under my truck i found a mfg. label from dana on my rear diff. it had the axle ratio printed on it. maybe take a look under your truck and perhaps the label is still there. mine was located on the snout of the differential close to the driveshaft. hope it helps.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
If you have the transmission temperature guage, you have the gears.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
If you have the transmission temperature guage, you have the gears.
That's the first and easiest way...
If no trans temp gauge, then verify that you have the Off-Road package...The O/R should have the extra skid plate, tow hooks and White Rancho shocks...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I thought LE's came standard with Big Tow? At least they do in '06 - '08. Not sure about an '04 though.

·
Premium Member
57,996 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Look in the drivers door jamb, for the info sticker.

I believe it says Axle: 33...or something along those lines.

...and if you don't have one already, get an AL diff cover, with the cooling fins.

- Brian

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought LE's came standard with Big Tow? At least they do in '06 - '08. Not sure about an '04 though.
Nope, when I bought mine I looked at a LE that was 4x4 but didn't have the big tow package.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found mine under the truck on the axle. There is either a sticker there if your truck is newer, or it is imprinted on your axle housing. Dana has codes, and if you post what you find on here, I am sure people will help you decipher the code. I have a 06 le that also has an aluminum diff cover 7 pin plug, oem tow hitch, tow hooks, fog lights, skid plates, that is not a big tow package....go figure....Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I have a 06 le that also has an aluminum diff cover 7 pin plug, oem tow hitch, tow hooks, fog lights, skid plates, that is not a big tow package....go figure....Hope this helps
But no trans temp gauge...Do you have the factory Rancho shocks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all the responders. I do have a A/T temperature gauge, along with all the other items that folks said I probably would have if I had the Big Tow package.

This forum (members) is great.

Thanks again !!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can also tell by the rpms your truck is running. At 70 mph you should be over 2000 rpms with the bigger gears & lower than 2000 rpms with the lower gears.

BTW I have an '07 LE without Big Tow but have the 4x4 & Off Road package so I have the big gears.

·
Registered
394 Posts
i have a LE...

4x4

but no big tow..

i crawled under the truck and the gears were not 3.36

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dose this really matter? What if you take off slow and drive in 4th? I don't see why it would matter once your up to speed. The difference I see would be with the tires, shocks and what not that can be upgraded. Am I correct in my assumption?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts