Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of getting nuisance alarms with my new tires. Can anyone tell me exactly whats needed to satisfy the sensor? A certain psi on the tire or is it something else?

If I'm tired of dealing with them, does anyone know the location of the connector if you wish to short/jump something out so the alarm NEVER goes off again??

Thanks.

·
Registered
34,397 Posts
What do you have your tire pressure at? My low pressure warning does not come on unless a tire is actually low??

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
scubastud said:
I'm tired of getting nuisance alarms with my new tires. Can anyone tell me exactly whats needed to satisfy the sensor? A certain psi on the tire or is it something else?

If I'm tired of dealing with them, does anyone know the location of the connector if you wish to short/jump something out so the alarm NEVER goes off again??

Thanks.
I understand there is a way for the dealer to disable the system using the consult thru the OBD2 port. However, unless you have a bad sensor, (they know of leaky sensor problems in the past at the dealer) or a slow leak in a tire, keeping the tire pressures above 26-28 PSI should keep the light off.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wouldn't want to disconnect them but it can be annoying. I drive 53 miles to work one way. And my tire pressure light comes on at the same location every night going to work. Does anyone have any ideas why. Can it be interference from something. Like a cell tower or something. I check my pressure everytime I fill up because the light makes me nervous and what else is there to do while waiting for 20 gallons of gas to fill ya up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought BBS wheels that the sensors would not work on. The dealer says he could not disable the light on the dash. He suggested a piece of black tape. but that would look tackey.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Do you have one of your sensors on your spare? If you do, that is the cause. The sensors not only alarm when the pressure gets low, but they also alarm when there is a high enough ΔP between the sensors.

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
rtapia said:
Do you have one of your sensors on your spare? If you do, that is the cause. The sensors not only alarm when the pressure gets low, but they also alarm when there is a high enough ΔP between the sensors.
The Titan does not have a sensor in the spare tire. It can only register 4 sensor. No way to disable the light, you can do what is recommended with the black tape or learn to live with it.:D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
scubastud said:

Thanks.

ok this question wasnt asked in previous post. Do your new tires even have the senors in them? I mean if you got new rims and didn't take the sensors out of your stock rims then you will always get the low tire alarm.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
if you are using the factory wheels, you must have the sensors functioning in the wheels. big time violation. aftermarket wheels are optional. however, if you do not install them in the aftermarket wheels, you will have to look at that light :cheers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I read in a different post that you posted and it said you have new tires. Is it possible that either A) They did not put the sensors in when new tires were installed or B) They broke your sensors during the tire change and did not tell you. That could be the cause of the tire pressure alarm.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Another option is a dab of black paint that comes in a brush bottle/magic marker or finger nail poish to cover the light. Maybe, take apart dash a little, like we will be doing if we ever get our fancy overlays done! :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I would think there would be a fuse or somthing. their weird, when i put on some loaner GM wheels while i got my nissan wheels powdercaoted, my sensers where in a bag in my side bed compartmnt, and i drove for 2 weeks with no lite. Then it goes on one time after i do a burn out, and goes off again later.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had the same issue where my low air tire indicator light would come on after 30 to 40 minutes of straight highway driving. I took my truck to the dealership and they scanned each of my tires with some type of hand held scanner and found that 3 of my tires were not registering with the BCM. This is what was causing the light to come on. They re-registered the 3 tires and the light has not come on since.

·
Registered
162 Posts
scubastud said:

Thanks.
1. Check your tire pressures (obvious I know) and if they are less than 28, there is your problem.
2. If they are all at that pressure then you need to have the sensors re registered happens often when getting new tires or so I am told.
3. If it still comes on, could be bad sensor....

PS. A dealer will not disable that or tell you how as it is a safety issue and thus if you have a problem they are liable. If you have a connection at a dealer they can change the pressure at which the light comes on, but I am sure you need to know this person quite well, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought my Titan used from a ford dealer and it had brand new tires on from the Ford dealer. I immediatly took the crappy Goodyears off and put on some Kumhos.
Discount tire said nothing about TPMS when they put the new tires on. Just last week when I was getting my new wheels put on I told them I have the sensors. They said it would be $5 a wheel to "rebuild" them. When I go to pick up my truck they said I didn't have the sensors in my wheels.

Since I got the Kumhos put on my light comes on after 30min of highway driving. I get the same results from my new wheels. My light just comes on and I don't have any beeps of chimes when it comes on so I just ignore it when it lights up.
________
Vapir No2 Vaporizer

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
tex said:
I bought my Titan used from a ford dealer and it had brand new tires on from the Ford dealer. I immediatly took the crappy Goodyears off and put on some Kumhos.
Discount tire said nothing about TPMS when they put the new tires on. Just last week when I was getting my new wheels put on I told them I have the sensors. They said it would be $5 a wheel to "rebuild" them. When I go to pick up my truck they said I didn't have the sensors in my wheels.

Since I got the Kumhos put on my light comes on after 30min of highway driving. I get the same results from my new wheels. My light just comes on and I don't have any beeps of chimes when it comes on so I just ignore it when it lights up.

the sensors look like beefy valve stems with chrome on them. If your valve stems are plain rubber than you do not have the sensors.

·
Registered
357 Posts
baseballfanz said:
The Titan does not have a sensor in the spare tire. It can only register 4 sensor. No way to disable the light, you can do what is recommended with the black tape or learn to live with it.:D
I know that. If you rotate your tires or if he got a flat and put the old tire in place of the spare then his current spare tire will have one of the sensors on it and one of his drive tires won't. I have this problem since I go with a 5 tire rotation

·
Registered
60 Posts
My "low tire sensor" light also comes on after a fixed time of driving. In my case it is caused by the difference in tire pressure since my spare is 1 of the 4 registering. Not wanting to waste the 5th tire I added a sensor to the spare and do a 5-tire rotation. I did this before I realized Shasta Nissan would charge me $44.50 after each tire rotation to reset the sensors, so now I put up with what I hope continues to be a false warning indicator.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts