Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rotated my tires for the first time yesterday (bought the truck used in October last year) and found that the drain plug on the rear diff was the lowest point. The rear diff doesn't have a flat structural spot for a jack like most other trucks I've had.

I unded up jacking it up from the side frame rail and putting a jackstand under the axle, then going to the other side and doing the same.

Is there any common method to jack the entire rear end up at once?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I do mine like this...

:rofl:

But before, I would just use the rear differential as the jack point.

Reactions: nissanbyblood

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
I rotated my tires for the first time yesterday (bought the truck used in October last year) and found that the drain plug on the rear diff was the lowest point. The rear diff doesn't have a flat structural spot for a jack like most other trucks I've had.

I unded up jacking it up from the side frame rail and putting a jackstand under the axle, then going to the other side and doing the same.

Is there any common method to jack the entire rear end up at once?
I do mine just like you described. That aluminum cover is in the way of my floorjack..

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe my drain plug could be threaded in further, but currently it's the lowest point on the diff and my jack pad would be putting the weight of the truck through it. My jack pad is flat... not cupped.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I jack it up with a floor jack under the pumpkin and then put jack stands under the axle tubes, then lower the jack.

Exactly how I do it, I just didn't have the pic to explain it :hat:

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've read that we weren't supposed to jack it up from the pumpkin

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

This is how I do it too.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I jack it up with a floor jack under the pumpkin and then put jack stands under the axle tubes, then lower the jack.
Same thing I do as well.

I have a cupped jack pad like the one in best's pic, so I've never had to think about the proper approach with a flat pad. I'd probably just find a short 2x4 to use between the pad and the diff housing to absorb and distribute the force a little more evenly, rather than jacking it up twice from both sides via the frame.

Reactions: Catmandale

·
Registered
233 Posts
My question is not jacking up from the rear because you have the pumpkin but what about the front? Would be a no brainer for a straight axel truck with a front pumpkin but what do you guys use up front? Last time I rotated my tires I put a bend in the ends of the transmission cross member I believe it was. Not a big deal but I hated I did it but the truck is so tall in the front I couldn't hardly get the front wheels off the ground, and I have the tallest jack Sears sells.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My question is not jacking up from the rear because you have the pumpkin but what about the front? Would be a no brainer for a straight axel truck with a front pumpkin but what do you guys use up front? Last time I rotated my tires I put a bend in the ends of the transmission cross member I believe it was. Not a big deal but I hated I did it but the truck is so tall in the front I couldn't hardly get the front wheels off the ground, and I have the tallest jack Sears sells.
get a block of wood and spread out the load and soften the contact point.

i jack the rear at the pumpkin also but heard recently this is not the right way on some fords.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
i jack the rear at the pumpkin also but heard recently this is not the right way on some fords.
Probably not the right way on the Titan either. The owner's manual says to put the sleazy OEM jack at the end of the axle tube and never to use any other jack point.

·
Premium Member
75,678 Posts
those OEM jacks suck - I had to rescue my sister the other night with a flat.... I really need to get a real jack to keep in the titan. I spent more time jacking up the car than doing any other task.... that included taking the tire to get plugged :lol: I finally put a pair of vice grips on the screw and turned it by hand.

I've jacked the rear up from the pumpkin before, as well as at the axle tube. for the front I pick a spot on the frame and have at it. I've only had to jack the front up a few times to change tires and put on the leveling kit..... no frame damage.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I jacked the rear up on the frame rail just in front of the rear wheel and put a jackstand under the axle, then did the other side. Once I had the rear on stands I jacked the front one side at a time on the frame rail. Once I had a front corner off the ground I moved it to the opposite side on the rear and moved the rear tire to the front, then did the other side. I rotate by "cris-crossing" the fronts to the rear and moving the rears straight forward.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I jacked the rear up on the frame rail just in front of the rear wheel and put a jackstand under the axle, then did the other side. Once I had the rear on stands I jacked the front one side at a time on the frame rail. Once I had a front corner off the ground I moved it to the opposite side on the rear and moved the rear tire to the front, then did the other side. I rotate by "cris-crossing" the fronts to the rear and moving the rears straight forward.
How i did it ^

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I have a large block of wood (8X8X8), acquired from a housing construction site a long time ago, that I place on top of the 3 ton hydraulic floor jack, then jack the rear axle up from the rear diff. The block now has a nice round indentation from the numerous uses in the past 4 1/2 yrs... I use the same block to lift the front from the forward PC bracket lift crossmember. I threw the scissor jack that came with the T in my wife's Pathfinder, since her's was one of those tiny "hope I don't lose a leg" scissor jacks. It sure would be nice if Nissan would actually stop being so cheap and throw in some 2 ton bottle jacks under the rear seats. Both of my prior Toyota trucks ('99 Tacoma / '02 Tundra) came with bottle jacks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Your problem is you bought something from sears, who by the way puts spanish before english on their in store automated pa announcements...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Make sure they aren't directional...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts