Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a rental 02/07 titan CC this weekend and was checking it out... The tailgate is light but I dont think its that when I let it go it sounds like there is a piston letting it down slowly... I remember about the torsion bar or whatever they were called some people would add to help but I looked and nothing... I remember the 05 guys talkin bout a piston welded to the bed... but this one doesnt have anything... it sounds like its inside the tailight or something... is there a difference in (well of course from 04 cuz it didnt have anything) the 05s - 07s? How does the tailagte of the 07 work? Can it be done to an 04? Ive never really seen the mechanism for the 05 or any of them... I just remember reading bout them and MAYBE seeing a pic of how it attached to the bed in an 05... I dunno...

·
Registered
246 Posts
My 06 has the tailgate assist. Its awesome. There is a hydraulic cylinder inside the tailgate assembly. You can still remove it like a normal one with no added headache of torsion bars or anything else. The only downside is when you get used to it, then open someone else's tailgate that doesn't have it. ouch.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Duner49 said:
My 06 has the tailgate assist. Its awesome. There is a hydraulic cylinder inside the tailgate assembly. You can still remove it like a normal one with no added headache of torsion bars or anything else. The only downside is when you get used to it, then open someone else's tailgate that doesn't have it. ouch.
That pretty well sums it up. I feel bad sometimes when I open my friends tailgates and just let them drop like I do with mine.....Whaaaam, followed by: "Oh Sh1t!! Sorry bout that! Mine has tailgate assist and you can just let it drop-it will never slam!!!" HAHAHA

·
Premium Member
92,279 Posts
This is a nice feature. But remember fellas, the '07 Chebbie is advertised as pioneering this, so we must all just be hallucinating.... :Warp:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ye, I have heard of the tailgate assists... BUT are they the same in the 05, 06, and 07? Where is your tailgate assist located? inside the tailight assembly or can u see it when u open the tailgate? I had seen pics of an 05, maybe im wrong, but u could see the "tailgate assist" when u opened the tailgate... this truck u cant see anything...

·
Premium Member
92,279 Posts
Nope. It's behind the taillight inside the rear fender. You can't see anything that looks any different from any other pickup truck.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blackbeauty said:
Nope. It's behind the taillight inside the rear fender. You can't see anything that looks any different from any other pickup truck.

oh alright, so theyre all the same then...

Anyone remember a past thread that showed a clip on... like ud add it to the pins of where the tailgate attaches and on the tailgate on one side... it was just like a piston with holes... they were in the process of making one that fit the titan... anyone, know what Im talkin bout??

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
pi3yeargrad said:
oh alright, so theyre all the same then...

Anyone remember a past thread that showed a clip on... like ud add it to the pins of where the tailgate attaches and on the tailgate on one side... it was just like a piston with holes... they were in the process of making one that fit the titan... anyone, know what Im talkin bout??
FOr 04 there's the Hoppy tailgate assist.
http://www.autobarn.net/tailgate-easylift.html

·
Premium Member
92,279 Posts
A rolling pin? Well, if you're using your truck to haul bread to the bakery, I suppose you could get one of those.... :lol: Just kidding! Check the 3 threads BBF & I put up. I think you'll find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blackbeauty said:
A rolling pin? Well, if you're using your truck to haul bread to the bakery, I suppose you could get one of those.... :lol: Just kidding! Check the 3 threads BBF & I put up. I think you'll find what you are looking for.
ye I emailed ezdown... Im just looking for a cheap mod to do really...lol... I dont want a torsion bar since Ive heard of the buldges and such... but well see... I cant wait to get my truck back from service I wanna have something to do to it when it gets here...:cheers:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
This is a nice feature. But remember fellas, the '07 Chebbie is advertised as pioneering this, so we must all just be hallucinating.... :Warp:
yeah toyota got the tip too, the new tundra has the tail gate assist. I was wondering though, who did the first power rear window? Titan or Tundra?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jasonmotox said:
yeah toyota got the tip too, the new tundra has the tail gate assist. I was wondering though, who did the first power rear window? Titan or Tundra?

neither, my brothers 2001 ford sports trac has it...

Also, toyota came out with the utili trac first also remember those commercials? And now Chevy with the rear doors that open all the way... shoot, we had all that first

·
Registered
274 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
I hate how GM has been doing that. Saying their innovations of tailgate assist, wide opening rear doors, and utility trac system in the bed.
GM charges you $95 for the assist as we (with '05+) get it standard.

However, I do believe that Ford had the assist on their F-150's in '04 so I havent been able to rant too loud about this.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gunner22 said:
I hate how GM has been doing that. Saying their innovations of tailgate assist, wide opening rear doors, and utility trac system in the bed.
GM charges you $95 for the assist as we (with '05+) get it standard.

However, I do believe that Ford had the assist on their F-150's in '04 so I havent been able to rant too loud about this.

Are u serious? I didnt know Fords needed the assist... I got a cuz and 2 friends with Fords and there tailgates weigh like 2 pounds...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts