Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in my quick reference guide that came with my titan. It shows the drivers side lockbox openeing all the way down. Mine opens maybe less than half of that far. The cover doesn't even lay flat (parallel to the ground) when I open it. Just wondering if anyone else has a smaller opening like me. Could it be because the mud flap is attached to it?

One more thing, what kind of stuff are you guys keeping in there?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think they were too afarid that people would ignore the not a step and try to use it as a step into the bed. Mine opens about 45 deg.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Panda said:
I was looking in my quick reference guide that came with my titan. It shows the drivers side lockbox openeing all the way down. Mine opens maybe less than half of that far. The cover doesn't even lay flat (parallel to the ground) when I open it. Just wondering if anyone else has a smaller opening like me. Could it be because the mud flap is attached to it?

I think that the box door was designed so that it does not open parallel to the ground so that people wouldn't be tempted to use it as a step.

The box is not real big so I keep a 20' tow strap, small piece of rope, two small tie down straps, a pair of leather work gloves, and two extra convert a balls for the hitch. There's not enough room for jumper cables with everything else so I am going to buy the kind that has a bag to store them in and keep them behind the back seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Panda said:

At least you can open it. I've never seen inside mine. The key will not even go all the way into mine and the service folks are a bit stumped. Hope to have it resolved soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you using the correct key? I had the same problem till I figured out I was using the valet key which will not open it.

jkp said:
At least you can open it. I've never seen inside mine. The key will not even go all the way into mine and the service folks are a bit stumped. Hope to have it resolved soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I broke the cheap plastic lock cover off the first day I owned my truck while showing it to someone. I suppose it's not a handle but it really is poorly designed in my opinion. I'd rather see a metal cover/latch sort of like the door handle on a Miata.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Cocodriecowboy said:
I broke the cheap plastic lock cover off the first day I owned my truck while showing it to someone. I suppose it's not a handle but it really is poorly designed in my opinion. I'd rather see a metal cover/latch sort of like the door handle on a Miata.
The lock cover was missing when my truck was delivered. The dealer ordered one for me. I am still waiting for it as the dealer advises that it is on "National Backorder" so apparently there is alot of problems with this lock cover.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Panda said:

I put my utilitrac hardware, hitch and tiedowns inside it rather than inside the (somewhat) clean cab. :)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
One of the salesman at my dealership said there is no valet key. Is there really one and is that guy clueless. Picking it up this Sat. What should I look out for?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine came with 2 remotes, 2keys and a valet key, and a little metal tag to reorder keys if you lose the originals.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was given a key like that but I think it will open the sidebox. I don't think I have any other locks in the truck besides the doors. My sidebox door opens about 45 deg. also but I thought it was because I have splashguards. The first one I saw opened 90 deg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Valet key

You should get 3 keys and 2 remotes. The key that does not have the plastic chrome logo is the valet key.

FLfinfan said:
One of the salesman at my dealership said there is no valet key. Is there really one and is that guy clueless. Picking it up this Sat. What should I look out for?

·
Registered
662 Posts
SoldOnNissan said:
My sidebox door opens about 45 deg. also but I thought it was because I have splashguards. The first one I saw opened 90 deg.
Same here...mine about 45 degrees, but I remember seeing one somewhere that opened much further than that...that may have been one of the preproduction models I saw at a festival.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The truck comes with 3 keys, the odd one is the valet key.

FLfinfan said:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts