Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a chance to install my 2" PRG leveling kit, LOVING IT :redblob". I am getting her aligned on Tues. I can tell just by looking at it the camber is out a bit. I really don't want to burn through tires so if she doesn't settle a little more and come back in, I'm just gonna install the bolts.

So after all of the BS, how hard is it to install the bolts??

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Also interested in this. I'm buying new tires in a few day's & was thinking about installing the cam bolt's before i get an alignment.

·
Premium Member
19,557 Posts
I didn't install mine. The dealer did. I wish I had done mine myself as the dealer raped me on that transaction. From what I've read you could do it in under an hour with basic (metric) tools.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just installed my camber bolts last weekend. Took me about 30 minutes each side due to having to use the Titan's scissor jack.

This is how I did mine and it worked very well for me. There are other ways to do this successfully.

1. Jack up truck and use tall jack stands to support frame. (I did one side at a time.)
2. Use ratcheting strap to keep LCA from moving out. Attach each end of strap to a LCA and tighten.
3. Choose which camber bolt you will be removing first. (Remove one at a time.)
4. Use a bottle jack to help support the part of the lower control arm where the camber bolt slides through. This was very helpful for me since the LCA dropped a little and all I had to do was raise the bottle jack.
5. Unbolt the camber bolt and nut. Remove bolt. (Once I got it aligned with the bottle jack I used a hammer and long screwdriver to push bolt out.)
6. Install new bolt and nut. Make sure the bolt is all of the way in.
7. Move bottle jack to other camber bolt on same LCA and repeat steps.
8. Take to alignment shop!

I used my impact wrench to remove the bolts and didn't have any problems.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helps a LOT!! Thanks for the write up. It really doesn't sound too bad. Funny you mention about the ratchet strap. When I put my leveling kit on I used a strap on the UCA and used the floor jack as the anchor point. It made it super easy to put the ball back in using the floor jack to "push it" all back together.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it. :cheers:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I didn't install mine. The dealer did. I wish I had done mine myself as the dealer raped me on that transaction. From what I've read you could do it in under an hour with basic (metric) tools.
+1

I got dealer raped for >$300.

My BIL works at a Nissan dealership in the service dept and confirmed to me that they should've at least bought me a drink. :bangit: Live and learn.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Helps a LOT!! Thanks for the write up. It really doesn't sound too bad. Funny you mention about the ratchet strap. When I put my leveling kit on I used a strap on the UCA and used the floor jack as the anchor point. It made it super easy to put the ball back in using the floor jack to "push it" all back together.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it. :cheers:
No problem! Glad I could help!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are these new bolts a "must have"? I was under the impression most titans did not need them, even lifted ones
I only leveled mine and it caused a lot of wear on the outside of my tires, even after an alignment. I could also tell by just looking at the tires that I needed the camber bolts.

Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones, as I've heard/read the same as you.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I only leveled mine and it caused a lot of wear on the outside of my tires, even after an alignment. I could also tell by just looking at the tires that I needed the camber bolts.

Maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones, as I've heard/read the same as you.
Shouldnt the place that did your alignment have notified you that they could not get your truck into specs. and recommended the bolt kit at that time?

·
Registered
792 Posts
do you guys know which titans came with the cam bolts already installed? im looking at lowering my truck and i want to get these just to be on the safe side before i find out the hard way by burning through $400 worth of rubber...

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
The early models did have them. In most cases with the later models you don't need them when putting on a leveling kit.

When I first put on my 1.5" leveling kit on my 08.5 SE the dealership was able to align the front. It was my most recent suspension work is where things changed. The Bilstiens 5100s, 2" spacer, PRG UCAs all caused the alignment to be out of spec again. However, this time the dealership couldn't align without the CAM bolts. I knew this going into it so I had picked up the CAM bolts from Greg over at PRG and handed them to the dealership. Far cheaper this way then purchasing from the dealership.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you go up or down more than an inch, I would suggest installing the Cam bolts prior to alignment. They are easy to install (one at a time) and can be obtained from Nissan or PRG. One word of caution, when you install the cam bolts, center them as the original bolts were. You would not believe how much difference having one or more bolts off is with regard to drivability and safety.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Theoretically the installation is easy. Jack up the truck, pull a bolt out, and replace. Do this times 4 for each bolt.

That being said. It is not always a cake walk. The stock bolts tend to rust inside the metal sleeve in the LCA bushings. This makes it extremely difficult to get the stock bolts out. Sometimes they have to be pressed out. The most extreme case, is that you have to cut the bolts to remove the LCA. This requires you to buy a new LCA because you will probably damage your bushings doing this. That is the most extreme case.

I was able to get one bolt out on my drivers side, the second one a mechanic tried to press it out and ended up damaging my LCA and the LCA mounts on the frame. I ended up cutting that LCA out, replacing the LCA, and putting new cam bolts in it.

On my passenger side, I can not get either bolt out due to them being rusted fast. Luckily, my alignment was still ok on this side. I plan on cutting this LCA out and purchasing a new one here soon. Hopefully I can do some suspension mods at that time.

Like I said, this is a most extreme case. But if you have an older model, or live in a high rust area, you might want to prepare for the worse.

Thanks,

Zack

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Should be a piece of cake. I see no reason why they wouldn't come out with a tap from a hammer. They would have to be aweful rusty to not be able to hammer them out. When I had the front end apart to replace the lower ball joints, the cam bolts were the easy part of the job. BackPayne pretty much summed it up. Jack up the LCA, remove the nut of the old LCA mounting bolt, tap the end of bolt with a hammer to pop it out of the LCA/mount, install cam bolt, put the nut on, move onto the next one. Nothing more to it than that. But I would definitely recommend taking it straight to the alignment shop after. And other posters are correct, the older Titans came from the factory with cam bolts. My truck was built in Feb 2005, and mine has them from the factory. zkeys, don't waste your money on a $300 LCA when you don't need one. Just hammer the bugger out. You shouldn't be pressing it out, I bet the press is what damaged your LCA. If you just tap them with a hammer, they will come out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I got mine at O'Reily's for $40 a set (two bolts). Needed two sets, thus $80.00. The stealership wanted $120.00 a set. I think Advance Auto Parts also carries them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
prg sells them 70 bucks for 4 bolts i believe.

i put a 2" leveling kit on my 2010 and firestone told me that my camber was at 1.0 which is the max limit. if i do anything else i will have to buy the bolts.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the input guys. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a TSB about adjustable cam bolts saying if they needed them they would be covered. I know with the leveling kit it's a mod and probable not covered, but just a thought.

Also, my dealer ditched their alignment rack so I would just rather put the bolts in myself. No other auto parts store (Advanced, Auto Zone, NAPA) in the area carry or can get the bolts. I think PRG Greg gives you a deal if you get the bolts the same time you get you kit.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts