Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually don't keep an vehicle long enough to need the shocks replaced. Some people say 30k miles, which sounds a bit early. I have the OR Ranchos and am wondering...do I wait until the ride deteriorates or should they be changed at a specific time.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
HudsonValleyTitan said:
I usually don't keep an vehicle long enough to need the shocks replaced. Some people say 30k miles, which sounds a bit early. I have the OR Ranchos and am wondering...do I wait until the ride deteriorates or should they be changed at a specific time.
judging by the amount of post you have i would say replace now lol. my trucks front shocks where blown when i went to install my lowering kit at around 15-18k miles? Mine wernt the offroad ones but i heard there not to much better. Get a set of bilstiens for the front at least. They slowly deteriate and you just get used to them. Put the new ones on and it rides like a caddi!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I say get rid of the whole truck and get the 08. The stock shocks are kinda like the batterys. They last a couple of years then quit on you. It depends on how rough the roads you drive on and I see you tow. It would be worth the 200 bucks to get bilsteins IMHO. The shocks are hit or miss. I can't wait to get some radflo's and bilsteins.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I would wait till the ride is being affected and shocks are blown.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
How long SHOULD they last? or how long DO they last??

FWIW, when I installed my lift at 12k, both rear shocks were toast. You could push the shaft in, and it would just stay there-no rebound whatsoever. My front shocks are shot right now as well, but I'll live with it until spring when I can get the DR's from PRG.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I installed my Bilstiens at 25000 my stock shocks were done.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my truck has almost 13k and i can start to fill a slight roughness in the front but its very slight and if i wasn't just anal i dont think i would notice im getting bilsteins i had them on my f-150 they are some of the best a little high but you can find great deals on them

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
bestatchess said:
The shocks are on their last legs after the test drive.
I noticed a SIGNIFICANT ride difference from my 40 miles on my 08 to my 1600 miles. Stock shocks are junk and need to be replaced as soon as you can afford to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Greg at PRG will pre-assemble the Bilsteins on the front for you. Shouldn't take more than an hour to replace. I got mine from him in Oct and there is a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I usually trust my stealership, whenever they tell me its time. I get them replaced - but somewhere else, not at stealership.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm at almost 50,000 now and have not even considered it. Truck still rides good. If I joust the front or rear of the truck, it bounces right back and stops.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It depends a lot on how the truck is used. I do a lot of towing, and I put a set of rear shocks on at about 55,000 miles. I was surprised they lasted that long, since the stock shocks I've had on all my Dodges (both front and rear) needed replacement at about 12,000 miles.

My front struts are still pretty good, at 65,000 but I'm thinking I'll replace them in spring after the Christmas debts are all leveled - since we're looking at about $400 for that.

You can test shocks by getting the corner of the truck bouncing a bit then stepping away. More than 2 rebounds and the shocks are dead. Struts are a little different, because they're supposed to resist hard in both directions. So you really shouldn't get any rebounding with struts; they should immediately damp it out and level the corner of the truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts