Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about geting a used Titan. I found a 04 cc with a little over a 100,000 for around $ 9,000 Does anyone have over 100,000? How long will the motor last? Is 9 grand worth it?

·
Registered
637 Posts
It depends on what your expectations are. You can take the T much furhter than 100K. I think they call for a total motor tear down around 250K. So, yeah, you aren't even half way. BUT In my experience after 100k lots of other things start to fail.
Power steering
Water pumps
Radiators
Alternators
AC
Distributors
Coils
Brake systems
Vaccuumm leaks
Gaskets need to be replaced etc...

All of the engine accessories become suspect. And they should. These componets are not 250k mile componets. So if you are handy with a wrench and dont mind a little down time you can pick up a 100K+ truck for a good work truck or 3rd vehicle. See if they'll go $7k or less. Pocket the $2k diff for a rainy day - its coming.

Would I make it my primary? My Daily Driver? No.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
i know quite a few people with over 100k on their titan.. and they still run strong.. but obviously. you can expect things to go wrong with it... but if it feels right do it.. if you see the truck and something doesnt feel right... dont....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I think im better off just spending a few grand more and get one with less miles. Im to busy to be fixing little stuff here and there. Its going to be A DD for my wife.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ya I think im better off just spending a few grand more and get one with less miles. Im to busy to be fixing little stuff here and there. Its going to be A DD for my wife.
there is always going to be things on any vehicle you have to fix no matter how new or how many miles it has. its part of owning a vehicle. but its the big things that usually go bad after 100k. engine would be fine though. i am thinking tranny, rearend, etc. 100k is nothing, especially for a late model vehicle. personally i would want something with a little less miles though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I posted a question about engine replacements along with tranny if anyone has taken one out. I didnt get any responses back so that says something I wouldnt worry 100,000 is broke in and ready for another 100. like the other posters said things will break down but what doesnt. This is a Nissan not a domestic were after 100,000 miles there done engine and all.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yeah we've had lots of people post about rear ends, a few about trannys (very few)—don't think I've ever read a "My Engine is Toast" thread.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ive been on night shifts and had some time in central so I searched for engine failure etc and didnt find anything and tranny issues along with the rear came from eariler models.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Generally a well maintained truck gas engine 200k+ and on a diesel 300k+. I don't think you can predict the rest of the truck. Be prepared to start sinking money into a truck with 100k miles.

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
It depends on what your expectations are. You can take the T much furhter than 100K. I think they call for a total motor tear down around 250K. So, yeah, you aren't even half way. BUT In my experience after 100k lots of other things start to fail.
Power steering
Water pumps
Radiators
Alternators
AC
Distributors
Coils
Brake systems
Vaccuumm leaks
Gaskets need to be replaced etc...
So if you are handy with a wrench and dont mind a little down time you can pick up a 100K+ truck for a good work truck or 3rd vehicle.
All of the engine accessories become suspect. And they should. These componets are not 250k mile componets. See if they'll go $7k or less. Pocket the $2k diff for a rainy day - its coming.

Would I make it my primary? My Daily Driver? No.

:read::werd:

L

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I posted a question about engine replacements along with tranny if anyone has taken one out. I didnt get any responses back so that says something I wouldnt worry 100,000 is broke in and ready for another 100. like the other posters said things will break down but what doesnt. This is a Nissan not a domestic were after 100,000 miles there done engine and all.
don't be so hard on the domestics. there are some good American motors out there. one for sure is the 4.3L gm v6. those things run for EVER. aren't the hemis pretty reliable too? not the truck just the motor lol.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My '05Titan is on 105k and I still drive it like I stole it. :lol:
I do basic maintenance when it needs to be done. This is the key to longevity in any vehicle.

The main two problems with my truck were around 80k: cracked exhaust manifolds, busted radiator.

Currently, no issues at all. No leaks and everything works. Hmmm, wanna buy a cheap Titan? :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
I've got 115,000 miles on mine with no major issues except for the inferior brakes which They replaced under warrenty twice and once out of warrenty I put a good set of rotors on. Routine maintainance will keep them running for miles to come!! IMO

·
Registered
191 Posts
They call it the V* Endurance don't they ? I'm counting on getting 10 years on mine coming hell or high water!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
don't be so hard on the domestics. there are some good American motors out there. one for sure is the 4.3L gm v6. those things run for EVER. aren't the hemis pretty reliable too? not the truck just the motor lol.
I agree. I know a guy that has an 04 Yukon with 350K on it and the only problem he's had is the fuel pump went out at about 150K

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nissan is known for their engines. They can easily last 300k miles with proper maint. Use good synthetic, reguraly change air filter and do the things needed when they are needed and you should have minimal problems. Vehicle maintenance is not the area to go cheap, use good products and do not try to stretch out the life of them. 100k is not like it was 15 years ago. Todays vehicles still have plenty of life after 100k. As far as the Titan goes, the engine is definately one of the strong areas of the truck. I plan on keeping mine for a long time and I have no problems thinking it will last 300k miles. I know I will have some minor problems as with any vehicle, I do not care who makes it and I am ok with that, but I believe I can easily get my moneys worth from her.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
My current '04 Titan has 106,000 miles right now. While it runs and drives fine at this point, it has had numerous problems and been to the shop for repair more than 20 times. Most of the problems were covered under warranty with the exception of my front differential.

Check into the vehicle history and see what has been repaired, replaced and fixed.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I agree. I know a guy that has an 04 Yukon with 350K on it and the only problem he's had is the fuel pump went out at about 150K
Word! Ford 302 or 5.0's run forever. My buddy has an old f-150 with over 250K and hes never touched the motor. And the mustang guys completly abuse these things and make huge power and they just dont die.

the 351 ford is a workhorse as well.

yes, domestic has made a lot of crap, but they have a few winners as well

1 - 20 of 43 Posts