Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title of the thread says, how many of you and how much?

Many people have tried before to have one R&Ded, and I'm not starting this thread to discuss the difficulties that arise when trying to get this accomplished. I just want to know who would actually buy one, and what price range you'd be willing to consider paying.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It really depends on the benefits from swapping it. If it's 5HP then nobody would buy it, just as an example.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, by 'performance' I mean what everyone is looking for in a T IM:

large (80-90mm) opening

shorter, fatter runners to open up top end power while retaining low end TQ

In other words, a well-designed IM that's been tested and proven to open up the bottleneck in the VK56.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Well an 07+ IM can be had for what, $200? If it was no more then about 250ish I'd probably get one

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 07+ IM adds about 5whp over the older version. Not a whole lot of change between the two, and it's still plastic.

I'm talking more of an actual performance IM, made of aluminum and designed to open up the m0t0r.
I couldn't guess at how much HP it would generate, I think it's going to be very dependent on how many other intake/exhaust mods ar eon the truck.

So, it would be reasonable to assume closer to $500 or $600.

This, with a new TB, or at least a larger bore-job on the OEM one, would truly unlock the bottleneck.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Part of the problem is the limited availability of a new performance TB and the insane pricing of the available ones. If the new IM required a TB replacement as well it would severely impact sales numbers for sure. If it were to be bundled with a new TB at a cost that's less than buying both parts individually that might be a good marketing strategy.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
Maybe if I really got into the whole performance scene I'd spend that much dough :D

Definitely interested to see where this goes though. Might be a longshot, but maybe try contact someone who works on the VK in the drift cars? The guys who are crankin' out huge numbers. I bet they changed it quite a bit

·
Registered
65 Posts
depending on the increase in performance id be interested.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
i would pay no more than 500 dollars for an aftermarket IM.....b/c the throttle body would prob cost more. if iit guaranteed 15-20 WHP for a fully bolted and tuned titan i would buy both as long as the package cost less than cams :)

Reactions: LD5050

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
If it generated any more than 20-30whp, then I'd pay around $400-$500

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I could imagine a reasonable retail target range around 4-500 for just a performance aluminum IM... I have done prior research with a local performance company but the problem is the $$$$ required to R&D, I just couldn't bring myself to front over 5k + material costs and at least 2 weeks of down time for my T, to get a working IM... plus, ultimately, in order to develop a true performance IM, you'll want a matching performance TB (LS2 90mm TB) then port and route the IM to maximize the TB's increased air flow while fine tuning the engine to optimize A/F (UpRev required)... then to get even more performance, port the heads and get matching diameter even length headers (more $$$)... of course, that also leads to a 2.25" to 3" mandrel bent true HF dual exhaust system to optimize the exhaust flow as well (more $$$)... :rofl:

·
Premium Member
77,868 Posts
Yes I'd buy one. And a throttle body to match, please.

Someone with the skills, and someone with the funding make it happen. Then I can complete the set up with headers and cams, give it a tune, and have a killer sleeper.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know about $5k for R&D. But if I can find a reputable fabricator that has access to their own T (for necessary testing) and the cost is closer to $2 or $3k, then that might be doable.
Especially when you factor in that regardless of how many guys post in this thread, there are at least a dozen T owners 'round here that would probably pay as much as $1k for an optimized IM. Then it would only take a few guys to split the R&D.
I'm going to send an OEM TB to Maxbore.c0m and see how much they can actually open it up. I know BJ P&Ped his, but I don't know how much. I know there's not a whole lot there to port out, but would be worth it as an alternative to Relentless' $1k TB and the fruitless hopes for a re-release of the PGM, especially if going with a larger opening IM.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had favorable responses from B-Lone Motorsports, Visner Engine, and STRK Enterprises.

:teeth:It never hurts to try.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The hard part of getting this IM to be effective isn't just in increasing the diameter, but keeping the pathway within a reasonable length as well... Larger diameter with slightly shorter distance, yet keeping a smooth flow without sharp bends... So the internal port configurations need to be made to keep a nice smooth round or rainbow-shape to not hinder the flow... heck, in theory, if you can incorporate a TBS twist design at each ported entry, that would probably also be beneficial in causing the air to be "tornado'd" and you can eliminate the need for an external TBS too... just brainstorming...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Velocity stacks, simple. :) With a large plenum. Hell, if you can somehow alter the position of the throttle body to be able to incorporate a "ram-air" type intake design then.. that would be almost ideal.

But guys, just know that an intake manifold that gives the VK 20-30++HP will not cost anything under $500 bucks. Unless of course it's made/developed like crap. In R&D alone you're looking at thousands of dollars to make it. Most factories will only sell in bulk and that price can also fluctuate as to how much work is required to make it. So expect to pay at least $750-$800 dollars at a MINIMUM for a good, well made and properly R&D'd intake manifold.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
i would pay 500+ no problem ... but the problem remains other then the pgm we have no reliable bigger tb to match..... whatever you do DO NOT use aluminium you will have to much heat soak......fast makes some of the best intake manis on the market and they go for 800 and up

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
What about Berk Technologies? Or did they get burned (out) from the b-pipes production?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Of course a performance I'M is going to cost the first buyer a literal arm and leg to cover R&D and testing, on top of actual manufacturing costs. There are many ways to proceed, but my main goal is to get one designed, figure out how to cover the R&D, and end up with a company who can sell the I'M after the fact at a reasonable cost.
There may only be 5 T owners who would spend $1k on an I'M, but that alone should cover the R&D. Everyone else pays fair market price.
There are plenty of T owners who would drop $500 for the I'M. How many guys here have headers? They could have spent twice that amount on OEM manifolds from the stealership. But they didn't.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts