Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to engage 4WD due to 8" of snow on the ground from a overnight blizzard. When I went to engage I was on ice unaware honestly so it grinded of course but then I went to put it back in 2WD it was still spinning in the transfer case because my back tires were spinning. After rocking the truck and getting it out of the snow the spinning stopping I engaged the 4WD and it grabbed, so if anything how bad is that? There was no clunking just spinning in the transfer case from my back wheels not being locked and spinning on ice, I was unaware unaware of the ICE!

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I went to engage 4WD due to 8" of snow on the ground from a overnight blizzard. When I went to engage I was on ice unaware honestly so it grinded of course but then I went to put it back in 2WD it was still spinning in the transfer case because my back tires were spinning. After rocking the truck and getting it out of the snow the spinning stopping I engaged the 4WD and it grabbed, so if anything how bad is that? There was no clunking just spinning in the transfer case from my back wheels not being locked and spinning on ice, I was unaware unaware of the ICE!
I've done that several times while hunting. Your fine man, dont worry about it. The Titans 4wd system is pretty tough. I've run mine in 4wd at the track over 50 times with no problems. What you did isn't even enough to worry about. Hope this helps bro:)

·
Registered
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I understand your concern man, I'm always so cautious with my 4x4, but like Deerslayer said, you didn't break anything. lol

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I understand your concern man
I don't. If the rear diff is unlocked, and one rear wheel is spinning (because it is an open diff) that means the transfer case is rotating the driveshaft, just like normal (you can shift into/out of 4WD on the fly). The spinning from having no traction on ice happens the rear diff, not in the transfer case, which remains engaged with the driveshaft. If you shift into/out of 4LO, you are supposed to be stopped, in Neutral, and foot on brake, so there is no spinning of wheels possible if you follow instructions (I have not tried otherwise, so I don't know if the shift mechanism has interlocks to bar shift attempts involving 4LO when not in neutral with foot on brake - the controller could, for example monitor the wheel speed sensors). Are you sure the grinding noise wasn't from the ABLS rather than the transfer case?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is ABLS Im thinking brakes. I thought even going from 2WD to 4HI if you were slipping that it would not engage and just slip in the transfer case until it locked or bit. It did sound like it was coming from the tranny area right underneath of me though. What doesnt make sense to me is you can be driving even up to 40 K a hour and shift on the fly but if your spinning on ice it wont engage?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
What is ABLS Im thinking brakes. I thought even going from 2WD to 4HI if you were slipping that it would not engage and just slip in the transfer case until it locked or bit. It did sound like it was coming from the tranny area right underneath of me though. What doesnt make sense to me is you can be driving even up to 40 K a hour and shift on the fly but if your spinning on ice it wont engage?
Yeah, I don't understand it either, as long as you are not shifting into or out of 4LO, I don't see the difference from shifting on the fly as the transfer case is engaged with and rotating the rear driveshaft in both cases. ABLS is when it detects a spinning wheel from the wheel speed sensors and then causes the anti-lock brake actuator to clamp the caliper on the rotor of the spinning wheel to simulate traction to transfer torque to the other wheel. Active Brake Limited Slip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts