Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in the market for new tires soon and wanted to know how much the acceleration suffers by going with E-rated tires? I'm talking seat of the pants feel here.

I looked at a variety of LT tires in the stock 265/70R18 size and most of them weigh 49-52 lbs per tire. The stock P265/70R 18's weigh 39 lbs each. 10-12lbs more per tire doesn't seem like a lot, but this is unsprung centrifugal weight.

I'd like to go with an E-rated LT tire for better tire wear and a stiffer sidewall, but if performance suffers due to the extra weight, I may go back to a lighter P rated tire but slightly wider.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
When I went from the 43 lbs. stock off road P285/70R17 to the 58 lbs. LT285/70R17, (BFG A/T KO), I didn't notice any performance hit, but the 15 lbs. did cause me to lose 1 mpg. After that I went to a 73 lbs. LT295/70R17, (Toyo M/T). This time I definitely noticed a performance hit in acceleration, but with the BT gears it was still pretty quick, just not as quick. Their extra 30 lbs. over stock also cost me another mpg loss.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I'm going to be in the market for new tires soon and wanted to know how much the acceleration suffers by going with E-rated tires? I'm talking seat of the pants feel here.

I looked at a variety of LT tires in the stock 265/70R18 size and most of them weigh 49-52 lbs per tire. The stock P265/70R 18's weigh 39 lbs each. 10-12lbs more per tire doesn't seem like a lot, but this is unsprung centrifugal weight.

I'd like to go with an E-rated LT tire for better tire wear and a stiffer sidewall, but if performance suffers due to the extra weight, I may go back to a lighter P rated tire but slightly wider.

Any thoughts??
I tow a heavy TT so I went to the E rated BFG All Terrain KOs. I really don't fly around much so I didn't notice any performance, or for that matter...MPG difference. This truck should have had the E rated to begin with because I got less than 24k miles on the crappy Rugged Trails.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
From my last setup (20's and 33" toyo at's) to the new setup (in sig) each wheel lost about 18 pounds. I did notice a little bit snappier response, but no difference in fuel economy... Common sense says you'll lose acceleration the heavier you go...

Btw Norcal, these nittos are still unsiped but in my opinion kick arse. Went on some intermediate slick trails not to long ago, they were great. Plenty of traction in rain, snow, mud, rocks you name it. Only about 2000 miles on em... Sorry for the thread jack lol

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
From my last setup (20's and 33" toyo at's) to the new setup (in sig) each wheel lost about 18 pounds. I did notice a little bit snappier response, but no difference in fuel economy... Common sense says you'll lose acceleration the heavier you go...

Btw Norcal, these nittos are still unsiped but in my opinion kick arse. Went on some intermediate slick trails not to long ago, they were great. Plenty of traction in rain, snow, mud, rocks you name it. Only about 2000 miles on em... Sorry for the thread jack lol
That's good yours are working out for you. My Nitto Terra Grapplers have crappy traction on road and off. They are acceptable now that they are siped, but I think my OEM tires did better off road. They'll be at the wear bars by 30K miles, so not all that much better than the Rugged Trail OEM that HVT mentioned. Mine were shot at 23K miles.

·
Registered
17,713 Posts
I bought the truck with chrome 17's and stock size toyo at's so I never got to experience the oem tires. This is literally the only other tire I've had then three sets of toyo's.

I would honestly be happy if they get 30k, they were 6 bennies cheaper then the toyos. Almost another whole set of nittos :D

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
Not enough to worry about it.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think it would depend on your gears. I have 2.94 gears went from stock goodyears (39lbs.) To 275/70 bfg's (60lbs.) I lost some acceleration but not much. I also lost about 1/2 mpg.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
If your going to be towing or carrying large loads in the bed, go with the LT tires, you will notice a little change but not much. I debated on getting an LT tire but went with a P tire with a deeper tread pattern than OEM and a little wider 275/65/18, I would have went with a 275/70/18, but the tire I wanted didn't come in that size. Also LT tires generally don't come with a warrantee, my P tire have a 50k warrantee.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts